Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Share Files or Locate Computer on Network

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 28 November 2016 - 12:10 PM

Right now Im using opensuse (Leap 42.2) inside of virtual box. I can't seem to get the samba sharing to work. Trying to get a basic grasp of it again since its been a few years and I can never get it right.

So far I have

1. Used the configuration tool that opens all the necessary ports for samba shares on the firewall

2. Created a share in the samba server configuration tool, but it disappears on reboot.

I can ping the machine from windows and window from the machine.

The machine does not show up in the network locations on windows

I can't access the shares by tying \\host-name or ip address.

I also can't select the open to allow users to share files. It comes up with "failed to join domain: failed to find dc for domain"

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 28 November 2016 - 12:10 PM.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,412 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 28 November 2016 - 07:19 PM

I don't honestly know if it's possible to run a SAMBA server on a virtual machine.

Anybody else have any insights into this one?

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#3 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:49 PM

I had gotten it to work about 2 years ago when I use to piddle with ubuntu 14.04. I was super happy even if it wasn't correct. I had it so only specific users had access to the folders I wanted them to have access to. However I also used a graphical interface that just said "Samba" had an icon of a monitor with 4 little windows colored squares.

But I've always been awful with understand networking. My computer is on a 192.168 network where the virtual machine is on a 10.10 network. I'm thinking i might have done something different than the default network setup so that it had a similar ip address.

And come to think of it. Its been years. I know there have been times where I just booted ubuntu from a flash drive when I had downtime and might have fiddled with it there. So I actually might not have been, but if its possible that would be nice to know just for knowing :D

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 28 November 2016 - 10:02 PM.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#4 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 05:48 AM

I got it. It was as I suspected with the network settings. I changed it from NAT to Bridge Adapter. As soon as I did that and... reinstalled suse after somehow making it unbootable :P.... I set the samba server back up, this time it allowed me to allow users to share. As soon as I did so the folders and the machine were available instantly.

#5 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,412 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 29 November 2016 - 05:48 AM

Mmm.

You may have guessed from my sig, and other places, that I run Puppy Linux full-time. Now, although 'full' SAMBA is available for Puppy, most Puppians, like myself, tend to use the Samba-TNG 'fork'.....which is much more lightweight (in keeping with Puppy's nature).

It's also way more simplified than the full SAMBA. Therefore, I don't know half the additional parameters that would be required for the full version to work.....and I've only ever tried a virtual machine once (and that was well over a year ago.)

You need assistance from somebody who is familiar with SAMBA, and VMs. Which probably include most of the other regulars, apart from myself.....  :rolleyes:  :blush:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:- You must have posted at the same time as me! Glad to hear you've solved the problem; I do vaguely recall something about the NAT & Bridge adapters myself.....I believe it's to do with how the 'guest' machine 'talks' to the host.

(I told you I didn't know much about VMs, didn't I??  :lol:)

Anyway, sounds as though you're up-and-running again. Nice one.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 29 November 2016 - 05:55 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users