Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PXE-E01: PCI Vendor and Device IDs do not match, reboot and select proper boot

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 lucidstorm

lucidstorm

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:11 AM

I am having a huge problem and I am desperate, I have win 10 x64 on partition C and win 7 x64 on partition D, all worked fine no hardware issues or anything but I decided to run a fixmbr from avast on win 7 (that because I could not perform the sfc /scannow), I also made an usb device with windows copy because I wanted to start some repair functions  on win 7 then the system started re-installing so I did stop it after 3 seconds it has run, it created a new drive J: (not removable one) and I wanted it gone so i removed the content inside. On next reboot the system has trown this errors:PXE-E01: PCI Vendor and Device IDs do not match and then: Reboot and select proper boot device

Please help this is mega urgent I have work to do and files on the system, they should be there, I know I haven't started the format process and before my system was set up so I could choose between win 10 and win 7,  I suspect FIXmbr for (it has made a backup somewhere), I think I lost my genuine win 7 cd (the win is original btw.), but I have win 10 originated from win 7 and kept win 7 on D partition, I am on a laptop now:(((((

EDIT: maybe the usb with win 7 I downloaded from internet has caused this (I didn't started installation from it since windows versions did not match), I think that maybe when I run the installer for 3-5 seconds the unmatching windows did some changes, I have win 7 x64 home premium (I might have OEM but I did download home premium without OEM tag), I am trying to find the link but it was a legitimate software from sevenforums I think

my spec can be checked since I made two posts under this username

I want to preserve the original setup since it was fantastic )switching between win 10 and 7)- maybe I can use ubuntu live cd (it has some boot capabilities) but I need guidance

this is my full farbar spec of win 7 I did before this happened: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/629852/strange-programs-in-zone-

alarm/ primary boot is win 10 hence the forum post

Edited by lucidstorm, 28 November 2016 - 08:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lucidstorm

lucidstorm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:54 AM

Spoiler

these my bootable devices list: 

SATAS8: ATAPI iHaS124 B (I dunno what that is)

SATA 7: kINGSTONE SV300S37A120G (perhaps win 7 installation I am not sure)

SATA 1:OCZ-SOLID3 (win 10 is installed on it)

SATA 2: CRUCIAL_CT250MX200SSD1  (perhaps win 7 installation I am not sure)

SATA6:WDC WD5000LPVX-75VOTTO (no idea what that is and never saw it before)

FIXMBR HAS MADE SOME BACKUP INTO MBR FILE, maybe lets restore that?

cannot access with ubuntu live cd says unknown chipset 120080a1, found geuine copy on windows cd uff!

from what I see from the windows installation (choose drive u wish to install) MBR has swapped C (with previous OS system with windows 10) with F drive on which there are a few programs and no OS, D is still the correct D: drive with OS with windows 7, G is the new OS with windows 10 (previously there were just files)

original was like this (and prior to this mess)

1) C SSD SOLID3 with windows 10x64 (from an upgrade from win 7)

2) D SSD with windows 7x64 (installed from cd drive from a genuine copy win 10 originated)

3) F: SSD files and music

4) G: HDT files and music

now it has become:

1) C SSD with files and music from F

2) D SSD is the same

3) F SSD is reserved

4) E: files and music from G

5) G HDT is windows 10 OS

(1 idea) I only need to run the backup of the FIXMBR, (2 idea) if I swap sata between the drives following the pattern above will it fix?

Edited by lucidstorm, 28 November 2016 - 10:13 AM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:50 AM

Is this an ASUS computer? From searching it is supposed to be a BIOS/UEFI issue. What is the make and model of the computer? If recovering information is your priority I recommend Fatdog64 which can boot on a UEFI computer with SecureBoot enabled. 

Burn the iso to a CD using any Windows 7 or later computer by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image or use Rufus with the iso of Fatdog to create a bootable USB flash drive. You computer should have a boot menu you can access by tapping a key at boot in order to select your USB flash drive or CD.

Fatdog64    Fatdog64-702.iso

Rufus

Rufus Instructions:

Run Rufus with the USB flash drive attached. Select MBR partition scheme for BIOS and UEFI. Leave all boxes as checked. Where FreeDos is shown in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon, and browse to the Fatdog iso file. Press Start. Any data on the flash drive will need to be backed up as the drive will be formatted.

Fatdog copy instructions;

Boot Fatdog to the desktop. In the lower left of the desktop you will see your partitions listed as sda1...sda2...sda3...etc. On an upgraded computer from 7 or 8 you will see quite a few. Normally your Windows partition will be on sda3 but it may be different in your case. Click once on the partition icon. The partition should mount and a File Manager Window will open. If you do not see your files/folders then close the Window and click on another sdaX icon. Once you find your correct partition attach your external USB drive. A USB icon will appear on the desktop. Click once on it and another File Manager Window will open. You can resize and move the two windows until they are side by side by left clicking and dragging the corner and title bar similar to Windows. Once you have both windows side by side highlight the data you want to copy by pressing Ctrl and left clicking or left clicking and dragging a window around your files/folders. You only need to click once to open a folder in Fatdog. Once you have your files/folders highlighted drag them from the sdaX window to the USB drive window. A small dialog window will open. Select Copy and check the quiet box. Don't forget your browser bookmarks or email if using a client. Once all your files are copied exit out of Fatdog. You may want to open a few to see if the copy was successful

After recovering your data to the external then boot a Windows 7 or 10 disk and when you get to the Window asking for language press Shift + F10 to open a command prompt. Type the following

diskpart

list disk     post the output

list volume    post the output

Note: If you data is on more than one drive Fatdog will label additional drives as sdbx....sdcx... etc. Hopefully you have a large enough capacity external drive for your recovered data.

Edit: If you need access to Windows 7 another option that may work is booting a SuperGrub2 disk. This is supposed to detect any OS even if you cannot boot from it and force a boot.

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/super-grub2-disk/

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 November 2016 - 09:56 AM.

#4 lucidstorm

lucidstorm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 10:25 AM

The motherboard is MSI, the rest is custom since I built this pc, I heard there is some command to restore mrb in command prompt and that fixmbr from avast did a backup along with log file (I don't know where mbr copy is stored though), I saw 100% that fixmbr did some backup copy after it finished messing my pc

make and model should be in farbar txt and addition txt from this specific post made few days ago http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/629852/strange-programs-in-zone-

alarm/

my goal is : secure data

restore the system with win 10 on C and win 7 on D

I am afraid I won't be able to go to win 10 anymore since my copy is win 7 and win 10 was a free upgrade from win 7

you think these goals are achievable - I mean we can recover data million ways but what about the rest? what do I do after what you mentioned? I should post here the output? (that part wasn't clear or I am an idiot, which I am since I did modify mbr). A friend of mine that works in a computer store said I am screwed up royally but I can 1) secure files, 2) install win 7 3) loose win 10

EDIT: I think MBR.dat is in downloads (pobrane in polish) and the user account name is X

Edited by lucidstorm, 28 November 2016 - 10:55 AM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 10:33 AM

Boot a install disk of Windows 10. Select the Repair Link in the bottom left of the Window and do a Automatic Repair. It may take up to three attempts to fix your boot loader.

What is the model number of the MSI? If this is a UEFI motherboard then Windows 10 does not boot using an MBR. It uses a GPT disk with protected MBR.

Edit: Using the diskpart list disk command would tell you if the boot disk is GPT.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 November 2016 - 10:35 AM.

#6 lucidstorm

lucidstorm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 11:56 AM

Boot a install disk of Windows 10

I have orignal windows 7 install disk only, win 10 is just a migration and I don't have any disks, won't using an external win 10 installation repair without a proper key make it illegal and unuseable for updates?

grub didn't detect any OS (I used detect and show boot methods), anyway I am afraid to fiddle in too much with that program since I have no clue on how to use it, seems not very user friendly and I didn't see any option to boot

Z77A-GD65 GAMING is the board

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z77AGD65_GAMING.html#hero-overview

I figured out the Crucial SSD is the win 7 OS and OCZ-SOLID3 is Win 10 os, I have unhooked sata from other drives now to avoid any uneccessary interference so now we have only 2 ssd drives with OS and not 4

Edited by lucidstorm, 28 November 2016 - 12:04 PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 12:12 PM

You can create a Windows 10 install disk using the Media Creation Tool.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

After recovering your data from either the Windows 10 or 7 disk pull the Sata cables from the Windows 7 disk and do a Windows 10 Automatic Repair up to three times.

https://www.winhelp.us/repair-your-computer-in-windows-10.html

The MB is UEFI.

Edit: I would start recovering your data with Fatdog before doing the Automatic Repair if the data is important to you.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 November 2016 - 12:13 PM.

#8 lucidstorm

lucidstorm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 12:18 PM

disk 0 (name),  online (status), 232 gb (size) 0 (free space); nothing in Dyn; GPT is '' * '' , so I guess GPT on disk o

disk   (name),  online (status),  111 gb (size) 0 (free space); nothing in Dyn; GPT is ''  '', nothing in GPT

diskpart>list volume

ok googdluck translating from polish

2m30h08.jpg

zastrzezony means reserved by windows, nowy: new, ukryty: hidden, zdrowy: healthy, partycja: partition

the rest you should know since it's indetical to English counterpart

I will do this now, unplug all ssds but the crucial with win7 (I don't have important data) and install win 10 on it

after instllation I will plug ssd back on and save data from solid ssd (with important data). Then plug only solid ssd and install win 7 on it. 

Edited by lucidstorm, 28 November 2016 - 01:58 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 12:29 PM

Disk 0 is GPT but is the 111GB disk shown as disk 1?

Using Fatdog is not difficult once you have your correct sdaX partition selected. 

#10 lucidstorm

lucidstorm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 01:59 PM

Disk 0 is GPT but is the 111GB disk shown as disk 1

it seems that crucial has win 10 and solid 3 from ocz win 7 and not the way around

as long as I leave drives with sensitive data unplugged I am fine, thanks for the headsup

:

Edited by lucidstorm, 28 November 2016 - 02:56 PM.

#11 lucidstorm

lucidstorm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 02:31 PM

tried to install win 7 on disk with win 7 (that I thought being crucial) and it says that I cannot install since I have GPT style of partition and windows did not match error [p[s up too, it confirms what I said above

that crucial has win 10 and solid 3 from ocz win 7,

installing win on fresh ssd but still getting the 

PXE-E01: PCI Vendor and Device IDs do not match

Edited by lucidstorm, 28 November 2016 - 04:42 PM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 02:36 PM

Is your Windows 7 32bit? If you are installing to Disk 1 it did not list the disk as GPT in diskpart but if you are using UEFI then Windows 7 needs to boot from a GPT disk. A GPT disk requires 64bit,

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 November 2016 - 02:37 PM.

#13 lucidstorm

lucidstorm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 03:42 PM

I only use x64 , never saw 32 bit in my life (laughs)

creation kit (user error: I meant media creation tool) did magic fixing all by itself omg, I managed to boot both win 7 on 2 separate partitions and win 10 on another 1 with all settings kept

I should have run creation kit from start it would fix everything by itself, I dunno what It did, I saw pink pixels all over and PC restarted like 20 times failing to start but I guess it was part of the repairs (I did boot assistant option)

now I have 2 win 7 installs on two ssds and 1 win 10 haha, still fiddling in to understand what happened

Edited by lucidstorm, 28 November 2016 - 04:14 PM.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 03:49 PM

Can you give a link to the creation kit? I am not familiar with it. At any rate, glad you are at least booting to Windows. 

Edit: By creation kit do you mean the Media Creation Tool for Windows 10?

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 November 2016 - 03:50 PM.

#15 lucidstorm

lucidstorm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 04:13 PM

yes damnit sorry media creation tool not creation kit : I shortened the name in my mind haha

I used boot assistance two times from the option, first it was something like help me get into windows 10 then I run a pass of fix boot assistant 

all fixed it seems,  just a question : to back all files I needed to make a new partition with win 7 on F. Now if I format F it it will stop from being set to bootable? I don't need it anymore and needed only to secure my files, I want windows off from it so to save space, I want F back to non bootable ssd storage disk so to speak

I have bootable C (win10) and D (win7) already, anyway I think the word should be spread cause creation tools is able to fix damaged mbr in few seconds for multiple systems for me its magic since fixmbr swapped all drives and did a spaghetti mess

big thanks to you, I was in tears this morning, you showed me the options and now is all fixed ~ the errors as per title are gone too

what I did is: 

1) unplug all ssd with sensitive data

2) run a fresh win 7 install on almost empty ssd

3) saved data

4) plugged all ssds back on then runned a pass of creation tool two times

Edited by lucidstorm, 28 November 2016 - 04:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users