Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Www.gojournalists.com Pop Ups

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 technikal

technikal

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 26 August 2006 - 03:55 AM

Hi there

Great site you have here :thumbsup:

I was at my sisters house yesterday and she had "some problems" with her computer.
Since she doesn't know anything about computers but how to look up sites and play solitaire I offered to help her.

Only problem is: I can't!

Starting up the computer takes aprox. 20 mins now. When you are finally completely started up the real trouble begins.
Pop-ups will come up about 7 times in 5 mins, and you cant do anything anymore.
The internet connection will disappear, all the icons will disappear and the only thing to do is click all the pop ups away and then you can do a little again.

these are the pop-ups that show up (not all of them but i think you'll get the idea)

www.oneperception.com/a102991101.html
www.allcomprehend.com/t102991101.html
www.gojournalists.com/t102991101.html
www.newsalone.com/t102991101.html
www.broadcastsnews.com/t102991101.html

Now for another problem.
I have seen some solutions come by, and i have seen a thread of D-trojanator.
In all of those threads they start off with: run a spyware prog.
I have enough of them but my sister doesn't. When I download a prog on this infected computer all seems to work fine.

That is untill you try installing it. This thing i have on the computer completely blocks all the .exe files.
When i try to start them it goes great for 2 secs and then its gone.
Nothing happens.

I've run ad-aware wich was actually on the computer and it came up with about 250 infected files.
I deleted most of them but some couldn't be removed according to ad-aware.
It then asked me to reboot and let ad-aware take care of it right after reboot.
I clicked ok and it did reboot but after that nothing.

I ran ad-aware again and it came up with some new stuff. It asked to reboot and let them remove it again.
Rebooted and TATA! again nothing happenned.
Any other programs cant be installed on the computer so I am kinda desperate... :flowers:

Does anyone know how to help me out?

Thanx in advance
Bart

Ps. sorry if I seem to be ranting on, Its still morning for me :trumpet:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 26 August 2006 - 04:19 AM

Well, without knowing your level of expertise exactly this might be a little tricky. Let me try this:

Does the following make sense to you:

You could always remove the hard drive and install it in another computer as a 'slave' drive. The working computer should still boot up from the 'good' Master hard drive, and then you could run virus and Adware scans on the slave drive. More info on how to install a second drive can be found HERE.

If that is not clear, or you continue to have questions, let us know.

Your other options are to run a little program called HiJackThis and create a log, then you place the log in the appropriate forum here at Bleeping Computer and you will get expert help in cleaning your computer. This, however, takes time, patience, and you must be VERY GOOD at following instructions. Let me know if you would like more info on this way to go.

Another idea is simply to back up the data on the infected hard drive, either by just running it as is, or installing it as a slave drive as instructed above - navigating to the slave drive (Start > My Computer) and copying the data that you might want to save. Then reinstall the drive back into the original computer and reformat and reinstall Windows. If you want to go this route let us know and we can give you explicit instructions on this procedure as well.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2006 - 07:46 AM

Sounds like Albert Frankenstein's suggestion to use Hijackthis may be your best avenue as a starting point. I realize that you cannot get .exe's to run and that may include Hijackthis. If you decide to go this route and cannot get HijackThis to run, then try renaming it with a different extension such as .BAT, .COM, .PIF, or .SCR. That should work.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 technikal

technikal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 26 August 2006 - 08:17 AM

hey guys.

Thanx for the reply's

I Changed the name of the Hijackthis file and indeed it worked that way.
Problem kinda is I cant get that hijackthis log of that computer.
When I try mailing it to myself the comp completely freezes, and since yesterday somehow the soundcard, the burning drive and the second hard disc stopped working....
Its a bit too big to write it manually for now but maybe if it is really needed there is no other option ;)

As far as for Albert Frankensteins reply I think the last option makes great sense.
Even more because when I tried the infected computer this morning I got all sorts of Windows messages claiming that some necessary parts of windows have been replaced by infected files.

My guess now is that I really do have to reinstall the entire thing :thumbsup:
Thanx for the offer to explain some more. It looks like I really need that help.

Cheers
Bart

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2006 - 12:33 PM

I am assuming you have your original 'Restore' disks, or maybe an XP disk and a Drivers disk? If not, tell us what you do have, and the exact make model and serial number of your computer. Do the preparation neccessary and follow these instructions, asking questions if you don't understand a step or can't find an answer on a webpage that is linked to below.

You should first run Killdisk to delete everything including any infections. This is a free progam and can be downloaded HERE. Put the program on a floppy disk or a CD.

Then run a DOS disk, such as a Windows 98 start up disk, when the computer boots to DOS, type "C:" (without the quotes), push ENTER. Then type "fdisk" (without the quotes), push ENTER, then just push ENTER at each selection that you are prompted to make (in other words, just accept all defaults). You can download what you need HERE.

Then reboot with your XP CD in the cd drive and reinstall Windows, being sure to choose "Full Format" instead of quick format when prompted.

Be careful about reinstalling your data as it may contain a virus or other malware.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users