Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to install/clean install windows 10 on SSDs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 amanmanipal91

amanmanipal91

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 28 November 2016 - 02:37 AM

Hey there!

I'm having a hard time installing Windows 10 on two different ssds i purchased for two different laptops respectively. The model name/no. of the laptops and ssds are as follows :-

1st configuration

Laptop model                : HP pavillion G4 1010tu (http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02818541)

SSD(refurbished)          : Intel SSD pro 1500 series 180gb (http://ark.intel.com/products/78068/Intel-SSD-Pro-1500-Series-180GB-                                                                                                       2_5in-SATA-6Gbs-20nm-MLC)

I recently purchased the ssd from ebay.Checked the health of the ssd with speccy.The condition's good.It came with windows 7 preinstalled. I connected the ssd to the laptop using a usb sata cable and using aomei partition assistant , I deleted the partitions and formatted the entire ssd. I tried cloning my larger HDD(500gb WD scorpio blue) running windows 10 to the smaller 180gb ssd.I used aomei backupper professional(http://www.backup-utility.com/clone/clone-large-hdd-to-smaller-ssd-4348.html).Followed the exact procedure and it finished successfully.

I booted from the new ssd(while it was externally connected with the sata cable).The windows 10 logo appeared alongwith the spinning dots.It remained stuck on that screen for about 10 minutes and then restarted.Basically , got stuck in this boot loop.

Removed the internal hdd and replaced it with the ssd.Tried booting again but faced the same problem.

I actually want to clean install windows 10 on these new SSDs.So i formatted the ssd again and tried to clean install using both rufus and windows media creation tool(used a 16gb pen drive) but faced the exact same problem during boot.

2nd configuration

Laptop model : Toshiba satellite C655 S5305 (https://www.cnet.com/products/toshiba-satellite-c655-s5305-15-6-core-i3-2330m-4-gb-                                                                         ram-320-gb-hdd/specs/)

SSD model (new) : ZOTAC 240gb ssd (https://www.zotac.com/us/product/ssd/zotac-240gb-premium-edition-ssd)

Faced the exact same problems as mentioned above.

.I read in a few forums about following changes that should be made in the bios :-

• System Configuration --> SATA Operation = AHCI
  • Secure Boot --> Secure Boot = Disabled.
  • Boot Sequence --> Boot List Option = Legacy

The toshiba laptop bios settings already had these settings configured but it did not help.

All I want is a clean install of windows 10 on these SSDs.Any help would be highly appreciated :)

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 28 November 2016 - 07:02 PM

If you are installing 64-bit version of Windows 10 enable Secure Boot and UEFI.

Make sure to delete all partitions and install Windows 10 on a unallocated space.

Is the Windows 10 Setup Media legit?

Posted Image

#3 amanmanipal91

amanmanipal91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 02:08 PM

Got it all sorted. Thank you so much for all the help :)

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 02:25 PM

You are very welcome!

May we ask how have you resolved the problem this can help anyone else having your problem.

Posted Image

#5 amanmanipal91

amanmanipal91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:44 PM

Hello there!

Sorry for the late reply.Been a bit busy applying for grad school :) Finally done!

Well,the iso image created by windows media partition tool was not working for some weird reason.After searching around a bit , i reached the microsoft link for direct download of the iso (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO/) . I downloaded the iso and created a bootable pen drive using rufus.It worked! I guess the iso is somewhat different (the directly downloaded iso is approximately 4.7gb as compared to the one created by the windows media partition tool which is around 3.5 gb).Don't understand the logic behind it though.The rufus settings were the same as earlier.

Didn't need to fiidle with the bios except for the boot order changes.

Installed the respective drivers and all is good now :)

Thanks for everything and wishing you a very happy new year!

Warm regards,

Aman

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:53 PM

Thank you for letting us know how you have resolve the problem, i wish you a happy new year!

Take Care!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users