Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer closes when I read/write to some network folders

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 brettule

brettule

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 27 November 2016 - 10:54 PM

Here is a totally weird one. I've introduced 3 new Win10 machines to my office, we have a file server and everything is fine with the Win7 machines. However, there are some folders on the network, not all, where once you open a file or write to a file within that folder Windows Explorer closes. This occurs only on the Win10 machines and happens to all of them. It's a crash actually since the whole desktop/taskbar goes awol for a few seconds too, then it all come back. This is a mystery to me, anyone got thoughts?

Some tests I've done:

* Explorer stays open if you're just looking at the folder displaying the contents

* Only closes (crashes) if you read or write data to the folder, eg open a PDF file or save text to a notepad file.

* If I create a subfolder and read/write data there it works fine

* Parent and subfolder have the same file permisions

* Win7 machines don't exhibit this behaviour

The event log is reporting this:

Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 10.0.14393.447, time stamp: 0x5819bde0
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.14393.447, time stamp: 0x5819bc32
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000f7423
Faulting process id: 0x2f4c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d249e964dd9cb8
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 82407b3e-5650-4023-9dc7-88788259f634
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Edited by brettule, 28 November 2016 - 09:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brettule

brettule
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 28 November 2016 - 10:41 PM

Seems to be a well known bug since the anniversary updates. The workaround for now is to show folder view icons in explorer instead of thumbnails.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users