Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with laptop, please!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 uumm

uumm

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 27 November 2016 - 07:48 PM

I'm buying my college son a laptop for Christmas but I'm not very computer savvy. I have a limited budget, hoping to stay around $400. Can someone please help me find something that fits my budget and hopefully a good portion of his wishlist. I have been looking alot and I see some that would work but I dont know if they are any good and if I'm missing something better. Is it a bad idea to order a laptop online? I keep picturing in my mind the UPS people throwing packages and breaking laptops lol. I don't know if its possible to get all this in my budget but here's hoping. Thanks for the help!

i5 or better 

8GB memory

1TB harddrive

Good graphics card

Touchscreen 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 27 November 2016 - 08:51 PM

Here are two typical examples of what you will get for that amount of money. Please read the users' reviews carefully for a hint if this is what you are looking for. Newegg gives you 30 days, if there is anything mechanically wrong with it you can return it. Another thing to remember: these retail units come packed out the wazoo with promo-ware, try n' buy-ware, adware, and just plain garbage. Typical is Microsoft Office trial, Norton Antivirus trial, McAfee antivirus utilities, etc. In addition, they load up on "helpful" overlays to adjust configurations that Windows already has perfectly good screens for doing. For example: a "network connection assistant" to "help" you log in to networks or tweak settings, and various utilities that will "fix" problems you have. All of these will slow your system dramatically, and once you remove them the unit runs like it should.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834315422

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834266056

Edited by ranchhand_, 27 November 2016 - 10:16 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 30 November 2016 - 09:42 AM

What...is "good graphics card" as a requirement?

Good for what?  A typical laptop has onboard graphics of some type which are more than sufficient for normal use by a user doing normal things...but may prove to be less than satisfactory for those trying to game intensely on a laptop.

There are any number of laptops available meeting normal user criteria...but my uneducated opinion is that anyone paying for a "gaming laptop" probably should have spent that money on a desktop which would provide the ability to upgrade graphics capability.

Amazon seems to have a large number of laptops, new and refurbished, which meet the stated criteria.  Take A Look.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 30 November 2016 - 09:46 AM.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:21 AM

Because this is for school, gather up Macrium Reflect or anything similar, and affordable and reliable external media [be such usb sticks, DVDs, usb HDs, etc], for making backups of the OS partition [maybe monthly] and data partition quite often during each month.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users