Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recommendation on what to look for in a new system

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 debodun

debodun

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 27 November 2016 - 05:35 PM

Purchase Template:

Laptop or Desktop? Desktop

My budget for the new computer is: undecided

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? Web browsing, photo storage, simple online games

What software do you intend on using on the computer? Open Office, MSE, MalwareBytes, several browsers (Firefox, IE), Adobe Flash Player

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? Some games, mostly simple online games like Candy Crush and games at royalgames.com

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? Not too many running at once. My current Task Manager shows around 41-44 things going, but most are probably "essential" things.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? Oh, yes!

Will you be overclocking? What's that?

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices? Would like to purchase at a big box store

How many monitors are you planning to use? one

Do you need peripherals? OS? Probably should get at least a new monitor. Not sure on what OS would be best. I'm so used to Windows 7, but it will probably be obsolete soon.

Any particular reason why you are upgrading? Current system is Windows 7 - 64 bit. It's getting slow.

Here is the current system's specs:

CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo, 1.8 GHz

RAM - 3.00 Dual Channel, 332 MHz

Motherboard - HP XU1 processor

Graphics - Intel ® express chipset

HD - 977 GB Samsung ATA device

Optical Drives - TSS Tcorp CD/DVDW   ATA device

Audio - High Definition device

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:18 AM

Get back when you have decided.

#3 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 12:56 PM

Do you not have any idea of how much it'd cost?

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 02:20 PM

debodun you might consider adding RAM to your current machine, its cheap and you'd be amazed at how much quicker your machine would be.  I recommend going to 8GB if at all possible.  You can check at Crucial.  RAM is the biggest bang for the buck upgrade you can do for a Windows machine.

#5 daveydoom

daveydoom

• Security Colleague
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:01 AM

Any particular reason why you are upgrading? Current system is Windows 7 - 64 bit. It's getting slow.

You may also wish to consider a new hard drive for your current computer along with the RAM upgrade suggested by Kilroy ;)  .   The current drive could be failing and a new drive coupled with more RAM could breath new life into that computer.

Edited by daveydoom, 06 December 2016 - 02:10 PM.

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing"
-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:40 PM

daveydoom makes a good point about the hard drive.  Where I used to work we saw a large number of drive failures.  Once we increased the base RAM for new machines from 4GB to 8GB drive failures were no longer a multiple time per week issue.  Solid State Drives (SSD) have dropped in price and that would be another massive speed increase, if you don't need 1TB you.  A 512GB is less than $200 and a 1TB is about $300 on up.  If you do need 1TB you might be able to install both a SSD and your current hard drive in your machine.

#7 vals24

vals24

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:02 PM

If your main incentive is that your old computer is getting slow, your budget could be pretty low in order to achieve what you want.. probably $400 or $500 

#8 ibm650

ibm650

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:35 PM

I would run malwarebytes, it probably has a lot of junk on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users