Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Envy x360 digitizer malfunction

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mtsalmela80

mtsalmela80

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2016 - 04:50 PM

Thank you for any help on this, as I am stumped.

I was given an Envy x360 touch screen laptop from a friend who claims the screen cracked on its own, and the touch functionality was thrown off. I never did a touch screen laptop, but I have done plenty of digitizers so I thought it would not be a big deal.

Initially I noticed that the touch screen was somewhat responsive, but BARELY. You could touch it, and it may or may not register somewhere else on the screen. Experience showed me that even if a digitizer is cracked, it can often maintain its functionality, especially if there is one clean crack, so I got suspicious out of the gate.

Nevertheless, the digitizer came, and I put it in, looks brand new, but the touch was not there. I ran the erase block diag test, and when I put my finger all over the screen, blocks from other parts of the screen were being erased. Over a couple minutes, I got it down to like 10 blocks, but never could complete it. The drag and drop test was a complete lost cause. I read about issues when upgrading Windows that you could lose the touch, but this is in bios so I'm not assuming that could be an issue.

So the screen was fixed, but that same lack of functionality was there. So I ordered a control board, the little board that sits on the edge of the monitor where to plug in the touch screen ribbons, I just put that in, no change. I have made sure that the ribbons are going in as far as possible, a number of times already.

Anyone have any ideas? LCD is working fine, camera test passed, but the touch screen is not working, even in bios. could it be a bad bios? Could it be a system board? I hate to suspect a bad new part.

I'm at a loss....thanks for any help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 27 November 2016 - 05:05 PM

Hi there,

I assume you are ignoring the advice from the HP Support Agent here? Not a problem, if so, but I just want to ensure you plan on following our advice for the time being...? I just don't want too many "heads" working on the same issue.

A few questions...

1. Did you run the Hardware and Device Troubleshooter in the Control Panel for this hardware?

2. Have you enabled touch screen features, especially if an update may have disabled it?

3. Has the display adapter/graphic drivers been updated?

4. Is the tab cable fully plugged into the motherboard and properly seated?

5. Are there any other display defects? Have you 3D tested it?

These are questions that will help us to narrow this down well enough so we can see the core cause. Let me know this info and let's go from there! :)

#3 mtsalmela80

mtsalmela80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2016 - 05:19 PM

Well I'm not even concerned with Windows features or drivers, as the touch screen is not responding to the bios tests well. Really I'm wondering what the chances are that a possibly corrupted bios damaged the touch screen functionality, vs a bad new part, hopefully not a system board. The thing that threw me off is the touch screen functionality basically disappeared when the digitizer was cracked, and replacing the digitizer left me with the same functionality, as in its horribly calibrated, but the tests in bios are the same way, so Windows calibration will not fix that.

No, I'm not interested in the HP Support Agent answer of contacting technical support, because I am the technical support, this is just an issue I haven't personally dealt with yet, and I'm hoping for someone who may have had a similar issue to chime in, because I have not found a similar issue to this yet. The 15-u x360 is not discussed anywhere on the web to any extent as far as I can see. 

#4 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 27 November 2016 - 06:11 PM

Some more questions, please... I think we might be able to get down to the bottom of this...

• Okay, are you interested in flashing the BIOS? Even resetting BIOS before trying to flash it would be a good idea. Of course, backing up any data is recommended before flashing a BIOS, since it's a risky endeavor. Possibly a chipset update might help.
  • Although, per your issue, I have this feeling that USB power management (especially USB Selective Suspend) has something to do with this. It happens all the time with the touchscreen dysfunctional problems. Just as a troubleshooting step, disable USB Selective Suspend, and do a cold boot to see if this will allow it to function.
  • Is the touchscreen controller driver/software updated? Was it removed and reinstalled?
  • One other question, can the touchscreen work at all in Safe Mode, or in boot from disc (like a free Linux build)? This will make it very clear if it is a system issue or a hardware issue.

Edited by Kakuzu, 27 November 2016 - 06:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users