Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC is suddenly slooowwww

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#31 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:01 AM

Pc still a pile of lag that can't run anything ? i might as well jump on-board.

Btw you can't see anything with the default windows task manager in regards to what is doing what.

plz download this and use this for look for problems..

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx

A screen shot of all processes running would be nice too, not that i cant see em in speccy but i like looking at it this way too, remember to expanded all processes so i can see the full list.

Ps im a hardware guy my self, you do the rounds on a hardware level with stress testing and benchmarking or is that not even possible cus the pc is so slow.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#32 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:11 AM

btw was just looking over your speccy SS on the process topic wtf do you normal have 50 chrome web pages open ? In the SS you have like 30+ chrome.exes running.

You have so much garbage running on that os as well so its normal its useless.

#33 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:27 AM

Hi:

btw was just looking over your speccy SS on the process topic wtf do you normal have 50 chrome web pages open ? In the SS you have like 30+ chrome.exes running.

That is how Chrome works.

Why does Chrome have so many open processes

You have so much garbage running on that os as well so its normal its useless.

There's no need to be rude to the OP.

Thanks,

MM

#34 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:37 AM

That is how Chrome works.

Why does Chrome have so many open processes

this is how the chrome.exe virus works, its that or buddy doesn't know how to close web pages when done or likes having 75 pages going all at once

https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-chrome-exe-virus/

There's no need to be rude to the OP.

Saying "You have so much garbage running on that os as well so its normal its useless" = being honest = being rude, then i don't know what to say.

One look at all the junk running in speccy and im not surprised the Os is running dog slow, everyone should have picked up on that since the first post "speccy SS" and pointed it out.

Sorry wasn't trying to be rude or anything , how would you have put it moxie ?

Do you have a better way of putting it ?

You can take this topic to pm if you want if you don't want to go off topic.

#35 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:09 AM

Hello Brad,

Do you still need help with this? Have you resolved the memory errors?

#36 annebradsmith

annebradsmith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 04 February 2017 - 03:42 PM

Hi Mishima,

I haven't checked in for a while.  Sorry for that.  

System has been running pretty good without any crashes since i last reported.  I still have not reloaded Norton.  I'm thinking that i'll do that soon.

I also haven't yet performed these last actions you assigned because they looked both challenging and risky.  If i have more problems, i'll get back on it.

And yes, I do like to have 20-30 tabs going in Chrome all at once.  Sometimes it gets up to 50 or so.  But i can close all that down and it has minimal impact.  In fact, when i first started this chat, i was having problems from a fresh restart without ever loading Chrome.  So it cannot be Chrome, right?

#37 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2017 - 04:10 PM

Hello annebradsmith\Brad,

I will allow anyone else to help here; however, I'm restricted from helping any further with this, because of being in the Malware Removal Study Hall here on the forums. I do hope someone else will assist here. Please accept my sincere apology and have a nice day.

#38 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 04 February 2017 - 06:41 PM

Brad,

I'll take over for Mishima. Please run this reporting tool:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

and attach the requested files in your next post.

Thanks much!

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#39 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2017 - 08:32 PM

@bwv848, Thanks! :)

#40 annebradsmith

annebradsmith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:10 PM

Thanks for your help.   Two files are attached.

The system seems to be running ok at the moment.  I'll run perfmon again when it is acting up.

Attached Files

#41 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,027 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:32 PM

Hi, Brad,

Can you explain what is exactly wrong with the computer? Slowness, freezing, etc.?

One of the dumps in #27 reported problems with your NVIDIA graphics drivers again. Please attempt the DRIVER-ONLY re-installation of your graphics card drivers again:

https://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-tips-and-tricks/1188-nvidia-video-cards-driver-only-installation-procedure.html

When installing graphics card drivers, it is best to do the driver-only installation, as they often come with unnecessary components that can lead to a myriad of issues.

Results?

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#42 annebradsmith

annebradsmith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:09 AM

The problem has been extreme hanging/lagging that made the PC unusable.  About all i could manage to do was power off to restart the machine.  Moreover, restart and login were taking for ever, even timing out.  It was taking several restarts to recover the tool and then it would run ok for ~1-3 days before it would start having issues again.  Note that all of this started after a Windows 10 update.

Whatever the root cause, i know that we've made a lot of progress because i haven't seen a significant lagging problem since Jan 1.  Let me get Norton AV reloaded and we'll see if the machine continues to perform as well as it has recently.  I'll also get the Nvidia Driver reloaded

#43 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,027 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:29 AM

Thanks — do let us know! :)

#44 annebradsmith

annebradsmith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:08 AM

Norton reinstalled on Friday.  No apparent issues.

Graphics drive uninstalled and reinstalled on Sunday.  During the restart after uninstalling, i got a scary warning about an imminent failure of my HD.  Got the warning again on the next restart.  See attached photo.  This is new.

Also, the computer started to lag again after uninstalling the Graphics Driver, making the whole uninstall/reinstall process pretty unpleasant.  We triggered something there.

It will take me 3-5 days to assess performance.

Attached Files

#45 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,027 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:55 AM

DO NOT ignore the hard drive warning. When S.M.A.R.T. warns about the integrity of a drive, the drive should not be considered usable! Please follow these instructions by TsVk! (thanks!) to test ALL your drives:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/638006/is-my-hard-drive-failing/?p=4165590

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users