Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is chrome infected or my wifi?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ravvo99

ravvo99

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 27 November 2016 - 02:56 PM

I know it sounds crazy, but I think my wifi is infected with a virus. Here is why.

I primarily use chrome. For about 2 months now Ive noticed a dramatic increase in ads on various websites and especially intrusive ads (ones that scroll with you when you try to move the screen past them). Similarly certain websites act... oddly. For example: Kotaku and buzzfeed wont load any embedded tweets, they just appear blank. Websites like CNN.com will load gigantic ads in the middle of an article that I have to scroll past. Someecards.com will load a full page ad asking me to friend them on facebook that cant be clicked out of as none of the displayed buttons, including the "x" actually work. This very webpage wont let me sign in. I can register my hearts content, but the "sign in" button doesnt do anything when clicked as if it were just a background decal.

Its only a handful of random sites that are having this issue, and mostly its just an increase in obtrusive ads compared to what id expect, so i ignore it.

The odd thing is that the exact same stuff will happen on my cellphone when im home. Doesnt seem to happen when im at work (using the work wifi) or when im wandering around using data. It will only happen when Im home on the home wifi. To the point where if i turn off the wifi and wait a minute or two, i can use the websites normally via my phone and all those ads disappear. My phone uses chrome as well.

In my multiple attempts to fix chrome (deleting it and re-installing it mostly) I have found that firefox has none of these problems even when working on the home wifi.

So I guess my question is..... is the problem my home wifi that has a virus? Is this a thing that is possible?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chris6793

chris6793

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 27 November 2016 - 03:32 PM

If you click the 3 dots under the X on the top right it will bring down a drop down menu. Click more tools then extensions and delete anything in there that you are unclear of. You might be syncing adware extensions between your chrome desktop browser and your phone.

#3 ravvo99

ravvo99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 27 November 2016 - 03:39 PM

Yeah. Did that already. Running bare bare basics that are direct from Google only.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users