Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anything worth salvaging from old laptop?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jhess56

jhess56

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 27 November 2016 - 11:50 AM

I just transferred all the hd data from an old laptop to a backup after the screen went dead on it...before I just throw the whole thing away I'm wondering if there is anything worth salvaging from the old computer...the hd is intact...maybe the ram or something else?

It's pretty old and low power so I'm not to worried about it....I'll chuck the power cord in a drawer somewhere in case it's ever needed as a backup but I doubt it'll ever fit anything new.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 27 November 2016 - 11:56 AM

Doubtful.  I suspect neither the old or newer laptop share the same exact motherboard.  If the newer laptop can take a 2nd internal HD, consider using the older HD as a Data hard-drive, or, convert it into a usb ext backup HD containing OS and data partition images.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 27 November 2016 - 12:20 PM

You can try reseating the screen to motherboard cable but I highly doubt it would solve the screen problem. You may be able to sell the battery if in good condition and RAM on Ebay. I would also pull the CMOS battery and Wifi card. Edit: HP and compaq whitelist their Wifi cards so it may be something that would sell well if a person has a similar card that needs to be replaced.

Service Manual

If you want to keep it then attach an external monitor and see if it shows a display. You may need to press a function key to enable the external monitor. Put a small linux distro like Puppy on the computer if the external monitor option is something you would consider. 

According to the User Guide Fn + F4 alternates between the laptop display and external monitor.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 November 2016 - 12:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users