Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A mini abyss on my C: drive

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 iojing

iojing

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 27 November 2016 - 11:44 AM

Hello good people of bleepingcomputer, I've just registered to this forum for a particual problem that I have. Now I'll bore you with the details:

I am currently using a Sandisk 480GB SSD HDD on my laptop (which I know makes 457860MB). It is divided into 2 partitions, C being the main drive and F for data etc.

I have come to realize that my C drive shrinks in size for no reason at all. And when I checked the data used and the actual file sizes I saw a discrepancy:

Windows's own Disk Management utility reports that out of 214,29GB allocated I have 63,57GB free space, which is the same stat I see whichever program I look at.

Attached File  disk management.jpg   59.33KB   0 downloads

The problem is according to this data, there should be 214,290 - 63,57 = 150,72GB used disc space on C, but it's not the case and I have been trying to confirm this any way I can.

First of all I tried to use WindirStat to show me what uses what and what I came up with is that with everything there, it's in total 125,5GB used.

Attached File  windirstat.jpg   126.94KB   0 downloads

Now I realize this might be redundand and I might be missing some system files tha Win fileystem doesn't let me see, but I would like to include 2 more screenshots of other programs reporting on used space:

Attached File  explorer.jpg   64.64KB   0 downloadsAttached File  totalcmd.jpg   73.4KB   0 downloads

The only software that was able to tell me that yes, C: was indeed using 150GB, is HDD Sentinel that I just happened to have installed.

Attached File  hdd sentinel.jpg   60.95KB   0 downloads

Note: After finding out that my HDD space was decreasing I have tried to clean it up via a couple of methods, so all the screenshot here are after the cleanup:

1. Ccleaner 2. Windows Disk Cleanup utility (including removing System Restore and Shadow Copies)  both of which worked, and pulled my usable space from 50GB to 63,5GB.

Although they improved the situation, I still have some 25GB inexplicably missing. I hope someone has an explanation to this thing because it's seriously bugging me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users