Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Error - Stuck on "Checking for updates"

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 aitrusak

aitrusak

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 27 November 2016 - 11:14 AM

Hey everybody! 

I'm in the process of overhauling our old family computer to run games and not much else (and not high-end ones, either).  I've removed bloatware, slimmed down the program list, updated all the drivers, etc.  Then I ran into a snag.  Windows Update won't progress past the "Checking for updates" phase and actually install anything.  It last updated in May 2015.

From following the advice over at the Microsoft Support area regarding Windows Update not working, I came up with two error codes: 0x80070057 and 0x80080005.  A search of these codes led me to this page (not advertising here, just full disclosure on how I've tried to solve my problem):  https://www.techjunkie.com/fix-error-0x80070057/

Running sfc /scannow gave me the error message of "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log."  I couldn't open the CBS.log, so I moved on to the next step. 

Running SFCFix gave me the following report:

SFCFix version 3.0.0.0 by niemiro.
Start time: 2016-11-27 07:28:04.828
Microsoft Windows 7 Service Pack 1 - amd64
Not using a script file.

AutoAnalysis::
CORRUPT: C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_security-malware-windows-defender_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.18170_none_b59db7296f030a55\MpSvc.dll

SUMMARY: Some corruptions could not be fixed automatically. Seek advice from helper or sysnative.com.
   CBS & SFC total detected corruption count:     1
   CBS & SFC total unimportant corruption count:  0
   CBS & SFC total fixed corruption count:        0
   SURT total detected corruption count:          0
   SURT total unimportant corruption count:       0
   SURT total fixed corruption count:             0
AutoAnalysis:: directive completed successfully.

Successfully processed all directives.
SFCFix version 3.0.0.0 by niemiro has completed.
Currently storing 0 datablocks.
Finish time: 2016-11-27 07:29:56.992
----------------------EOF-----------------------

__________________________________________________________________________________

So it looks like something in my Windows Defender or my Windows Update is corrupted, but I have no idea how to repair them.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Computer Info:

CPU: Gateway DX4860

Processor: Intel i5-2320 3.0 Ghz

Platform: Windows 7 Home Premium, SP1, 64-bit

Memory: 8 GB

Video Card: NVidia 9500 GT

Antivirus: Trend Micro Platinum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 27 November 2016 - 05:46 PM

So... have you removed all of the updates and tried again, as a troubleshooting step? This would be a start, but only do so when you are not going to be browsing around. Until the updates are installed again, this computer will be risky to use due to the outstanding number of vulnerabilities over the past year-and-a-half. Let me know if this works or if you have done this already.

#3 aitrusak

aitrusak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:22 PM

Kakuzu,

Yes, this is one of the inadvertent consequences of following the Microsoft support instructions.  Before I went through the suggestions the system showed last updated in May 2015.  Then after a set of instructions were followed, it shows as never having been updated.  I've tried updating a couple of times since that happened, and still no dice.  I'm accessing the 'net from a separate computer, the other one isn't used to browse at this time.

Edit: Except to come to this site - kinda have to if I want to upload file data to the forum here.

Edited by aitrusak, 28 November 2016 - 09:36 PM.

#4 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:43 PM

Okay, let us take a closer look here,

=Event Viewer Log Files=
Please provide us with copies of these 2 logfiles:
- Go to Start and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes and press Enter
- Expand the Windows Logs category by clicking on the arrow/+ sign to it's left
- Right click on the Application log and select "Save all events as" and name it Application
- Then, right click on the System log and select "Save all events as" and name it System
- Zip up the log files and upload/attach them with your next post.

Diagnosing WinSxS

• After that, go to Start and type in "cmd.exe" (without the quotes)
  • At the top of the search box, right click on the cmd.exe and select "Run as adminstrator"
  • Type in SxsTrace Trace -logfile:SxsTrace.etl
  • Type in sxstrace Parse -logfile:SxSTrace.etl -outfile:SxSTrace.txt
  • Upload the log SxSTrace.txt (you may have to search for it in the search box), or copy and paste the information in your next reply, please.

Edited by Kakuzu, 28 November 2016 - 08:44 PM.

#5 aitrusak

aitrusak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:35 PM

Here's the zipped Application and System files.  I'm still waiting for the first SxsTrace to finish running.  I'll upload when it gets done.

Attached Files

#6 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 12:43 AM

Let me know when that finishes, please... I will continue waiting. :)

#7 aitrusak

aitrusak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 09:12 PM

I left it overnight and all day today, and it the cmd.exe window still says:

"Tracing started.  Trace will be saved to file SxsTrace.etl.  Press Enter to stop tracing..."

It looks like the trace isn't running completely.  I just stopped it and restarted it, so we'll see what happens.

#8 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 09:33 PM

Hopefully it will finish this time, as this is an important troubleshooting step. We must figure out which C++ library is causing the trouble.

#9 aitrusak

aitrusak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 08:55 PM

Left it overnight and all day again today, still no movement.  The machine doesn't seem to be doing much, drive light flickers occasionally, but otherwise seems to be just sitting.

#10 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:40 PM

Go to Start, and search in the search box the following without quotes, "appwiz.cpl" and choose the option that appears.

In the list, please search for the following items and then tell me what is listed:

-Microsoft Visual C++ {2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, and so on}{x86 or x64}

I need to know all of the packages installed and what year they are marked with and whether it is the x64 or x86 versions, please. List all of them.

Edited by Kakuzu, 30 November 2016 - 11:41 PM.

#11 aitrusak

aitrusak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 11:24 PM

Here's what I am showing:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.4148

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.21022.218

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.17

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.4148

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 X64 Redistributable - 10.0.30319

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable - 10.0.40219

Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable (x64) - 12.0.30501

Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable (x86) - 12.0.30501

#12 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 02:39 AM

Very well, the following is a list of downloads for the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtimes. Please download and install them in order, one by one. Once one is done, test to see if programs work. If they do not, then move on to the next package, and so on. This appears to be the easiest method (avoiding a Windows Reset):

Edit: Once this is done, and programs are working, please check for Windows Updates.

Edited by Kakuzu, 02 December 2016 - 02:40 AM.

#13 aitrusak

aitrusak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:13 PM

Ok, will do.  Which programs should I run to see if these work?  Right now the only things that aren't working is Windows Updates and the SxsTrace you had me try to run.

#14 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:25 PM

Hello again,

Windows Update is the current one to try. I'm sure if this problem continues to go without being fixed, it will cause even greater problems. With diligence, I'm sure it'll work out. Windows Side-by-side configuration is so troubled, that it is nearly impossible to do the sxstrace. Usually the trace works, but since it is not, then it needs to be fixed before Windows Updates may be properly installed again.

Edited by Kakuzu, 03 December 2016 - 11:25 PM.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:31 AM

System Specs

If Windows Update is the only problem with this system...I would try stopping the Windows Update service and then installing Oct and Nov rollups.

If system problems extend beyond Windows Update...and there is an indication of file corruption...I would run the sfc /scannow command again and then see how the system performs.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users