Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changed MB now cant accsess device manager

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 btka

btka

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 27 November 2016 - 09:38 AM

HI guys

I put a new (better) motherboard into my computer (transplanted)

It booted fine but there are certain windows features that I can access like device manager.
Also all my Win 10 apps icons are blank

And I see now none of my jpg thumbnails are visible

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 27 November 2016 - 09:50 AM

You cannot simply change a motherboard...and use the same existing hard drive, Windows install, and Windows license...with the changed board.  Each motherboard has specific drivers...drivers are what enable the components to mesh as part of the computer system. 

Per MS...a new motherboard is a change of system (unless the change involves 2 motherboards that are exactly the same).

Louis

#3 btka

btka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 27 November 2016 - 09:53 AM

Hi thank you for responding. I have done this before transplanting my previous motherboard and and it was seamless. Windows 10 picked up all the drivers and everything worked perfectly.

Not so easy this time. So how do I fix this or re-install?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 27 November 2016 - 10:41 AM

Even if you reinstall Windows 10 may not properly activate as the MB has changed. 

http://www.howtogeek.com/226510/how-to-use-your-free-windows-10-license-after-changing-your-pc%E2%80%99s-hardware/

I am not sure it will work but there is a Sysprep command to remove the existing drivers. You could also image the disk with Aomei Backupper then use the Restore to Dissimilar Hardware Option.

Doing a clean install may be the best option other than the possible activation issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users