Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Know What To Allow Through My Firewall?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kellydgk

kellydgk

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 25 August 2006 - 11:50 PM

I have no idea what's okay and what's not.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2006 - 10:07 AM

Temporarily block the application, then do a google search and see if it's something you want/need to allow.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 26 August 2006 - 11:58 AM

Howdy,
tg1911, how do you temporally block an incoming program ?

For instance Spybot seems to pick up on things trying to invade before Windows Defender or Norton Security 2006 which does my firewall work do.

Spybot will pop up a window asking me to allow or deny. I feel I do not have much of a choice at that point so I hit deny.

I hope I am making some sort of sense.

kellydgk,
I do not mean to be hijacking your thread, but you have asked a question that I should have asked a long time ago.

Thanks for your time,
Dennis :thumbsup:

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2006 - 12:27 PM

Spybot's TeaTimer is not a firewall.
Tea Timer is a system change monitor that scans for every change to the registry. It's designed to alert you when spyware, or any other program, attempts to make a change to the VERY fragile, and important, System Registry.
It then asks you whether to allow, or block, the change.
If you're not installing a program, which will usually make registry changes, and just browsing, I would block anything TeaTimer warns you of, as it's probably malware that the site is trying to install.
Anything that you block, can be unblocked if you later find out that you need it for the site to function properly.

To get TeaTimer to forget what you told it to remember, via Remember this decision, you can right click on the TeaTimer system tray icon and select Settings.
This will bring up TeaTimer's "White & Black List".
There are four (4) Buttons accross the top of the "White & Black List":

* Allowed processes
* Blocked processes
* Allowed registry changes
* Blocked registry changes

If you donít see all four buttons, try expanding the window to the right.

The button you would look for in the "White & Black List" is Blocked registry changes.
You can review all the entries that you've stored.
You can also delete entries by clicking on the scripted black "X", to the right of the entry.
When your finished, click the OK button.
This will make TeaTimer "forget", what you told it to remember.
During future changes to these items, TeaTimer will issue a pop-up dialog, asking if you want to Allow, or Deny, the change.

If you would like to discuss this further Dennis H, please start your own topic.
This will help to avoid the confusion, of trying to help two or more people, in the same thread, with different problems.
Even if your problem is similar to the original poster's problem, the solution could be totally different due to different hardware, software, system requirements, etc....
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#5 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 26 August 2006 - 01:01 PM

Thanks for the tip tg1911. Will do. Sorry if I caused any confusion.

Dennis :thumbsup:

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2006 - 01:43 PM

No problem, Dennis.
Just trying to avoid any possible confusion. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users