Jump to content


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.


External HD 'Basic' to 'Dynamic

  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 WritingBuf


  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 27 November 2016 - 03:07 AM

I had an Acomdata external USB IDE HD used as backup storage. The data was password-protected with the software that came with the unit.

When the USB housing began to fail connecting to Windows, I connected the HD to the motherboard with the use of a SIIG Sata-to-IDE adapter.

My Windows 7 Pro O/S recognized the drive, but not the data.

In my frustration, I changed the drive type from 'basic' to 'dynamic.' I didn't format, just changed the drive type. No luck.

I then purchased an external Sabrent sata/IDE external housing unit... same 'invalid' dynamic error message within Disk Management.

When I {right-click} on the 'invalid' drive within Disk Management, it gives me these options:
1) Convert to Basic Disk,
2) Reactivate Disk, and
3) Offline.

Did I lose all my data?
Is there way to restore access?

ALL my backup is on this drive. Any suggestions or explanations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Attached Files

  • Attached File  DMan.jpg   18.12KB   0 downloads

Edited by WritingBuf, 27 November 2016 - 03:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)


#2 usasma


    Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

  • BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Southeastern CT, USA
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 28 November 2016 - 05:46 PM

From this article it looks like the data is gone:  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731274(v=ws.11).aspx

You may be able to get a professional data recovery firm to attempt recovery - but that'll be very expensive AFAIK

Try http://www.runtime.org for starters.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users