Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'Deseat.me' What is this ...?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Itchy01

Itchy01

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 27 November 2016 - 12:30 AM

My wife just drew my attention to an article in our local daily:

"Developers in Sweden have created a website that can help you delete your online presence with just a few clicks."

"It asks you for your email address and password so it can scan for the sites you're signed up to."

The article continues: "Mr Dahlbo and Mr Unneback (the names of the developers apparently) said they took the privacy of users seriously and that the program ran on the user's computer, rather than their servers."

By this point I'm blinking and thinking "Ahhhhh.... ??????"

The article ploughs on: "The website uses Google's security protocol, which means it does not gain access to users' log-in information, they added". (Well, that's a relief).

Now, I guess this is breaking news. But, the press have a habit of uncritically repeating media releases and most of what I've found online seemed pretty much like a modified repeat of a press release.

Except on Reddit. (https://www.reddit.com/r/security/) Search the title "Does the deseat.me service pose a security risk?". NOW - if you click on those words expecting to be led to a thread with that name, BEWARE! You end up at the Deseat.me home page. (WT...!?!?) While, if you click on other thread titles, you end up at the thread with that title! However, IF you click on the "three comments" (it may be more by now) link, you DO get the thread. (https://www.reddit.com/r/security/comments/5eta0l/does_the_deseatme_service_pose_a_security_risk/).

The thread's last two comments share my cautious skepticism. I'm not on Reddit but if any BC readers are, they might like to ask a Reddit moderator about the unusual target of the title's link.

Any thoughts? To echo one of the Reddit contributors, "Something seems odd".

Itchy01.

Edited by Itchy01, 27 November 2016 - 12:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 27 November 2016 - 09:08 AM

Welcome to deseat.me! home page
Deseat.me User Comments & Feedback <- Wille Dahlbo & Linus Unnebäck (developers) answer questions and assist with issues

'Deseat.me' Automatically Pulls Up the Deletion Links for Users' Accounts

By logging into one's Google account through Deseat.me, the site will automatically bring up a list of all the sites that the user has an account for (assuming that account is linked through a Google service like Gmail.) It then gives users the option to either keep or delete the account in question, so someone using Deseat.me doesn't need to worry about accidentally deleting a vital service.

Deseat.me helps you delete yourself from the internet with a few clicks

The site takes advantage of the fact that many of your online accounts are linked together by a common thread -- Google. By signing into the site with your Google credentials, Deseat.me will find all of your linked accounts and give you the option of wiping them out in one fell swoop.

Want to delete yourself from the internet?

The service lets you see all of the websites youre signed up to or have accounts for and asks if youd like to delete them or unsubscribe. It asks for your email address and password so it can scan for the sites youre signed up to.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users