Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External HDD slow down and crash while copying files

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 starwarsgeek

starwarsgeek

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 26 November 2016 - 11:57 PM

I've been using this same Windows 8 PC with several external HDD for a number of years. Suddenly, today, when I try to copy a file from my PC to one of the HDD - ANY of them (I have 6, 3 WD and 3 Seagate) the file starts to copy, gets about 5%-6% complete, and then the speed drops to 0 bytes/s and it freezes. And then my entire PC crashes and needs to be rebooted. Any ideas why this is happening all of a sudden?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 27 November 2016 - 07:01 AM

How are the External Drives connected to the PC ?

The issue may not be the Drives , but the way you connect them externally.

Try connecting one Drive Internally to the PC and see if the same problem exists.

#3 starwarsgeek

starwarsgeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 27 November 2016 - 04:30 PM

They are all connected via USB, as they have been for the past few years. I've had all of these for at least 4 years, and they have been connected the same way all this time. Each drive has anywhere from 1.5TB - 3TB of data on them. Why would the connection suddenly cause an issue when it hasn't for the past few years?

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 29 November 2016 - 05:09 AM

So you didnt try what i suggested ? 

Or are those Drives in Enclosures with their own Power Source or Powered via USB.

Im not an Expert so you may have to wait for one to assist you further.

Can you use those External Drives on another PC and do they work then ok ?

If so then it may be your PC with an issue.and not the Drives.

Sometimes just brainstorming or Isolating an issue , will pinpoint the Problem , then tackle that first.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:55 AM

My guess would be...one of the drives has a problem.

I would remove all but one of the externals...and see if there is a data transfer problem with it.  I would then replace it with next external and try the same data transfer.

Once I had tried each singly...and had not found a problem...I would start attaching them in pairs, adding one at a time.

It would not hurt to check Event Viewer and see if there are any errors reflecting a problem with "hard drive controller", "hard disk" or I/O.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users