Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First time building gaming PC, help needed!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sir_Nubsalot

Sir_Nubsalot

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 10:56 PM

Hey guys, this is my first time building a gaming PC and I'm quite nervous so any suggestions and advice would be appreciated!

If anyone could tell me what games these could run and at what fps, just some examples, that'd be a huge help.

Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core 
Processor

Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

MSI GeForce GTX 1050 2GB Video Card 

Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 
MicroATX Mid Tower Case

EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply

Thanks again! ^-^

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 27 November 2016 - 06:44 PM.
Moved from 'Computer gaming' to 'system building and upgrading'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 29 November 2016 - 02:05 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

It is easier to find out if a known game will work with the parts you have selected.  This is what the Windows Experience Index was supposed to address, however, Microsoft removed it in Windows 8.1.

If you have a specific game you want to play you want to build a machine that will meet or exceed the Recommended Specifications, not the minimum specifications.

In general that build looks to be decent for most games.  I would think if you had any issues it would probably be the CPU.

#3 donisonleague

donisonleague

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 29 November 2016 - 02:57 PM

It's hard to list every game that will or won't work with that build, even considering only popular ones.

For example: League of Legends or Dota2 will work for sure without any kind of problem, Battlefield 1 won't or will just with min. settings and a lot of heating by the CPU.

I tend to agree with what stated above, generally speaking, your build is fine, but if possible, i'd aim for an i5 6400, 6500 or i5 6600, they aren't much expensive (about 40-60$ more), and would be a good boost compared to the i3 6100.

However, if you're not in an hurry, AMD Zen processors are set to hit the market in February 2017, and processor prices should decrease.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,501 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 03:33 PM

Intel has no need to lower CPU prices short term because they have huge fanbase that will buy Intel even if AMD is better on everything and cheaper. Same applies to another 5 digit company starting with A. No matter if competitors offer better products cheaper, fanboys will still buy *****.

Better to say that Zen will offer excellent price/performance ratio and so great alternative to Intel CPU's.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 29 November 2016 - 03:34 PM.

#5 donisonleague

donisonleague

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 05:21 PM

Intel has no need to lower CPU prices short term because they have huge fanbase that will buy Intel even if AMD is better on everything and cheaper. Same applies to another 5 digit company starting with A. No matter if competitors offer better products cheaper, fanboys will still buy *****.

Better to say that Zen will offer excellent price/performance ratio and so great alternative to Intel CPU's.

I wasn't mentioning that possibility, since the OP is going for a 100$ CPU and i hardly believe he would go for a Zen.

The SR3 could be a good and affortable choice, but exact specs are unknown yet and it's set to hit the market on March... the SR5 would already be double the price of the I3-6100 (not saying it's not worth).

Sure, if he was planning to go for an i7 5960X, waiting till January for the SR7 and saving 500$ was totally another thing and sure, it seems like Zen will have excellent price/performance ratios.

Maybe it's true that Intel won't lower their prices, but there is a fair chance that if AMD will uphold the expectations they'll be obliged to.

OT: I think Apple has an easier game at competitions than Intel or NVIDIA, because hardware is easier to compare, whilst customers can be fooled way easier if you change also the look and the OS of the product, because not every customer can appreciate what's "inside the box"

However, returning to the topic, everything will be easier if we know what games are you talking about :)

Edited by donisonleague, 29 November 2016 - 05:21 PM.

#6 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:10 AM

It is pretty hard to tell what games will work and what FPS they will run, the easiest way is to try this yourself.

The system will be fine, however I would suggest getting i5-6400 or better. The 2 more cores in i5 will boost gaming performance, depend on the games.

You may want to get 500W or more power supply so that you can upgrade the system later if you need to.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#7 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:18 AM

The reasons everyone would go for Intel is because its CPU has much better single-core performance (we don't know how Zen will compare with Intel yet). Most simple PC tasks rely more on single-core performance. Some games won't use more than 4 cores. Those who are doing things that require more cores would go for i7 because its multi core performance will still beat FX, plus FX is power hungry (8-core use 95W or more)

This may change when Zen arrives.

Edited by batman1234, 30 November 2016 - 05:26 AM.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users