Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 desktop won't boot - where to begin?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ajg617

ajg617

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 26 November 2016 - 09:54 PM

Sorry for cross-posting this in two forums, but I honestly don't know where to begin - whether I have a HW problem or MBR malware has taken over.

Homebuilt desktop - Windows 7 64bit Ultimate, Asus Sabretooth Z77, Samsung EVO 850 1TB, WD Black1TB, Seagate 1TB . Last time I used the machine it worked perfectly and then I shut it down. Added the EVO about a year ago and used Acronis to clone the WD onto the EVO. Created a Macrium rescue disc and a Win 7 recovery disc. Re-formatted the Seagate to use for video editing an digitization for music.  Booted the machine from both drives (all others disconnected) and each came up fine. Been using it for a year like this with no problems until yesterday. Had been powered off for two weeks due to travel.

First clue when I pushed the power button yesterday - nothing happened. First thought was power supply failure but I unplugged the AC for 30 seconds, plugged it back in and boot sequence started but went right to setup screen (low CPU fan speed but it was about 65 degrees in the room - got past that by setting to ignore). We did have a power loss for about 2 hours during that time period. Everything recognized, pressed F10, save and immediately received the prompt to repair windows. Macrium, Win 7 recovery, and original MS install disc all say recovery succeeded but after each boot, no OS found. Re-boot to command prompt with recovery disc and bootrec /scanos shows no OS. Same story with the WD. Booting into Linux (Gparted), each drive shows 3 partitions but they are not in the same order. On the EVO, the first is 128MB of unknown type but flagged as Msftres, the second is 100MB FAT32 flagged as boot and the balance is NTFS. On the WD, the first two are reversed in order boot first, msftres second. Neither drive will boot.

I've tried re-building the MBR on both drives separately using the Win rescue disc but get the same results.  On both drives (only one connected at a time), if I select repair start-up problems on the win rescue disc the system reboots with a message that start-up problems can not be repaired.  In the command prompt on both drives, I can read the drives just fine and the Win 7 OS is recognized.  When I opt to continue to boot Win 7, I get "re-boot and select proper boot device or insert media...".  I get the same message with only the EVO or WD connected, one at a time. Interestingly, booting into Linux (Gparted), each drive shows 3 partitions but they are not in the same order. On the EVO, the first is 128MB of unknown type but flagged as Msftres, the second is 100MB FAT32 flagged as boot and the balance is NTFS. On the Seagate, the first two are reversed in order boot first, msftres second. Neither drive will boot.

I've tried re-building the MBR on both drives separately using the Win rescue disc but get the same results. On both drives (only one connected at a time), if I select repair start-up problems on the win rescue disc the system reboots with a message that start-up problems can not be repaired. In the command prompt on both drives, I can read the drives just fine and the Win 7 OS is recognized. When I opt to continue to boot Win 7, I get "re-boot and select proper boot device or insert media...". I get the same message with either the EVO or WD connected, one at a time.

Since neither drive will boot, I'm now assuming a HW problem (the Z77 has always been a bit finicky) but I have no idea where to begin to determine what's faulty.  I can boot from both DVD drives just fine and all devices are recognized in BIOS.

Thanks in advance
AJG

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaveJoBot

DaveJoBot

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:04 PM

try using the win7 install disk to re-format the drive that is not booting, and re-install windows, drivers, and programs, etc 

and see if that works 

thanks

p.s. cant help you on mac based problems

#3 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:35 AM

Doing it with win7 doesn't clean house well, id use a zero bite formater app from Hiren’s BootCD, then reinstall, and don't do it with both drives connected to the computer, wipe each drive by them self's solo,stops virus like code from moving around from one drive to the other.

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

Edit: fixed typo

Edited by shadow_647, 09 December 2016 - 09:48 PM.

#4 ajg617

ajg617
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 09:41 PM

Here's what solved it.

http://www.hasper.info/repair-a-destroyed-windows-7-uefi-boot-sector/

Rebuilt the UEFI boot sector using these instructions - worked great.  Only problem I have is the performance pop-up every time I restart the machine.  But, lost nothing else.

regards,

AJG

#5 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 12:05 AM

Pro job guy, don't know if id pick up on something like that my self.

Good thing it wasn't the hard drives FAT that took damage, if it did theirs all most no way to recover from that besides a full wipe and format, trying to save files with no FAT is hell, their all their just its a mess and nothing has names.

#6 ajg617

ajg617
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 08:36 AM

I have to tell you that my original install dvd was in the dvd drive but thought I'd try to rebuild the uefi after just happening to come across the link above.  I had already copied the partition with all the data on the drive in question - all readable and no errors - so was convinced I had screwed up the boot partitions in some way myself when trying to restore.  It didn't dawn on me until well after I had already mucked with the boot partitions that I was UEFI - dooohhhh.  Was Very pleasantly surprised.

And oh yeah, have been through the immense pain of trying to recover after the drive sectors holding the FAT went belly-up.  Gawd awful job to recover anything from that drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users