Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downgrading Windows 10 To 7

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 techsavvy01

techsavvy01

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 26 November 2016 - 08:23 PM

I have asus laptop G551VW-FY212T and windows 10 has a lot of issues, I can't reset windows 10 os it gives me error so I just want to downgrade to windows 7. How do I downgrade to windows 7? Should I do it though bios or in windows 10? Now I heard of this Chinese program called driver genius which is suppose to download drivers for computer that does not support windows 7. Problem is though it is in Chinese so what other way can I download windows 7 drivers for this laptop? I have a windows 7 disc to put in my laptop but the track pad and keyboard are unresponsive during windows 7 setup. External mouse keyboard do not work either :(

Life is Weird. Home Life Private Life Consent and Respect always. Life is short. Spend time with Loved Ones Family & Good Friends, Life is not fair. Follow your Passion in your Life :) Woman are Human Beings :) Prince EA school system Common core Good Chemistry Charisma Everybody has different perspectives in life. love peace & compassion in the world No bullying no hatred. I want to help people :) LGBT Hope is crucial Live Long Life End stigma. Nobody is Perfect. No Judgement

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 08:45 PM

The reason the external mouse and keyboard do not work is because the laptop only has USB 3.0 ports and Windows 7 does not have native USB 3.0 drivers in the install disk.

See this guide. I have not done this but it may work for you. As far as getting your other drivers, it's possible your hardware does not have Windows 7 drivers. After the install look in Device Manager for any yellow exclamation marks. Right click the device, select Properties, and under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the Vendor and Device ID into Google. I would not consider any driver update package except for Snappy Driver Installer and that would be as a last resort.

The hard drive storage controller may be so new that Windows 7 would not be able to detect a hard drive and you would need to have the drivers on a USB flash drive before Windows could detect the drive.

If Windows 10 is giving a problem you can do a clean install with Windows 10 media using the Media Creation Tool

According to the ASUS ROG forum tapping F9 at boot will do a factory reset. All your programs you added would need to be reinstalled and any personal data backed up.

#3 techsavvy01

techsavvy01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 10:27 PM

The reason the external mouse and keyboard do not work is because the laptop only has USB 3.0 ports and Windows 7 does not have native USB 3.0 drivers in the install disk.

See this guide. I have not done this but it may work for you. As far as getting your other drivers, it's possible your hardware does not have Windows 7 drivers. After the install look in Device Manager for any yellow exclamation marks. Right click the device, select Properties, and under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the Vendor and Device ID into Google. I would not consider any driver update package except for Snappy Driver Installer and that would be as a last resort.

The hard drive storage controller may be so new that Windows 7 would not be able to detect a hard drive and you would need to have the drivers on a USB flash drive before Windows could detect the drive.

If Windows 10 is giving a problem you can do a clean install with Windows 10 media using the Media Creation Tool

According to the ASUS ROG forum tapping F9 at boot will do a factory reset. All your programs you added would need to be reinstalled and any personal data backed up.

Ok thank you, The guide you posted only works with usb boot device, how can I get usb 3.0 drivers to work windows 7 setup using my disc dvd boot device?

Life is Weird. Home Life Private Life Consent and Respect always. Life is short. Spend time with Loved Ones Family & Good Friends, Life is not fair. Follow your Passion in your Life :) Woman are Human Beings :) Prince EA school system Common core Good Chemistry Charisma Everybody has different perspectives in life. love peace & compassion in the world No bullying no hatred. I want to help people :) LGBT Hope is crucial Live Long Life End stigma. Nobody is Perfect. No Judgement

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2016 - 08:42 AM

You can still do it with a USB flash drive. Use Imgburn to write a iso image file from your Windows 7 DVD. With this iso image file you can create a bootable USB flash drive using Rufus then do the guide instructions and boot the flash drive. I believe this would be the easiest approach.

If you would still want to use a DVD you would need to copy all of your files from the DVD to a folder on your desktop. Do the instructions in the guide. Then burn the files to a DVD but you would also need to copy the boot sector from the Windows 7 DVD in order for the disk to boot. 

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/topic/11194-how-to-create-a-windows-vista-7-8-installation-disc-bootable-using-imgburn/

#5 techsavvy01

techsavvy01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2016 - 09:51 AM

Thanks John, however I think maybe it's best to just clean install windows 10 because people told me windows 7 will not work properly on my laptop's motherboard chipset incompatibility issues. Do you agree?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 27 November 2016 - 10:20 AM

FWIW:  Asus lists no Win 7 driver support for this system.

Louis

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2016 - 10:43 AM

Thanks John, however I think maybe it's best to just clean install windows 10 because people told me windows 7 will not work properly on my laptop's motherboard chipset incompatibility issues. Do you agree?

I agree. Stick with Windows 10 as the computer hardware was designed for Windows 8 and 10.

#8 AshtonAsh

AshtonAsh

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 28 November 2016 - 07:31 AM

Thankfully, Microsoft now offers easy downloads for Windows 7 and 8.1 ISO files. Download the Windows installation media and burn the ISO file to a disc or copy it to a USB drive using Microsoft’s Windows USB/DVD download tool. You can then boot from it and reinstall Windows 7 or 8.1 fresh, telling it to overwrite the Windows 10 system already on your hard drive. Be sure you have backup copies of all your important files from your Windows 10 PC first

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users