Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse double clicking randomly - not a hardware issue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 IronW

IronW

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 26 November 2016 - 07:16 PM

Mouse is randomly double clicking on single clicks... It's also randomly breaking held clicks and I think there might be an issue with registering clicks as well but that's harder to confirm that that's not just me aiming poorly and not realizing it. The double clicks and the held clicks not working right are almost certainly not me screwing up though. It's random, but frequent enough to be incredibly annoying.

Computer is running Win 8.1, I can pull up more info if it's needed. My main 'mice' are a Razer Deathadder and a Wacom Tablet - both are having this problem.

A list of the things I've done, just to save us all some time:

• Restarted the computer
  • Tried multiple USBs
  • Tested the Deathadder on another computer and used another mouse on this computer - I wasn't the person testing the Deathadder on the other comp but it apparently behaved fine, and I still had issues on my comp with the second mouse.
    (I haven't tried the Wacom on another computer yet mostly because it's harder to test on, personally - it's having the same issues that both of the mice are having on this computer anyways)
  • Uninstalled the mouse drivers and programs, restarted and reinstalled.
  • Used Razer's recommended firmware update.
  • Messed with the mouse settings, like double click speed
  • What little info I could find on similar issues indicated it might be an issue with the Win 10 nagware updates - I've cleared the majority of these I could find off and I don't have gwx.exe. Same basic situation with telemetry. In both cases it's possible I might have missed some of the smaller related updates because there's a lot and if anyone has reliable lists for these things and thinks it could help I could do a once over but I feel like I've killed the better parts of these with no luck resolving the issue.
  • Did a hardware trouble shooting scan - this keeps pulling up that 'changes might have not been detected' but I resolved the one other thing it pulled up (something about what usb I was using) with no luck
  • Went into safe boot 

I haven't done clean boot at this point because I'm debating how much it would help/how easy it would be to test on it... If someone thinks it's worth a shot and can give me some pointers on how to check what I need to fix if clean boot does help I'll do it but at this point I'm considering just doing a system refresh and hoping that solves this.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,282 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 26 November 2016 - 07:49 PM

Go to Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Folder Options. Under the General tab make sure Double Click is checked. If it is checked select Single Click and Apply. Change back to Double Click and Apply. 

#3 IronW

IronW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 07:52 PM

Forgot to list that but that's also something I did earlier - I've given it another shot just in case it works this time but it didn't work last time.

EDIT: Yeah no luck with that this time either. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Edited by IronW, 26 November 2016 - 07:58 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,282 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 26 November 2016 - 08:11 PM

Safe mode exhibited the same issue? You may want to try doing a clean boot. If you have access to a powered USB hub use it. 

To rule out a hardware issue boot a live linux disk like Ubuntu or Mint and see how the mouse acts.

I have never used the method here but I guess it's worth a shot.

#5 IronW

IronW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 11:57 PM

I ran Ubuntu - the issues happened with the Razer but reduced, and I couldn't replicate it with the Wacom. The Razer has behaved the worst out of the devices I've tried on Win 8.1, so it is possible it's also having a hardware issue on top of whatever is happening here.

Either tonight or tomorrow I'll hook the Razer up to the other computer again and see if I can get the issue to appear myself and if it the Razer has a problem I do have warranty so it's not a huge problem. That still leaves whatever issue my windows is having, however, assuming I can replicate the issue on the other computer and it's not some sort of bizarre laptop issue.
(Also accounting for the fact this is difficult to create on purpose - I could sort of do it semi-consistently with the Razer once I pulled up an event log and knew what it 'looked' like but it's possible I just missed something when testing the Wacom)

I haven't run clean boot yet just because I don't know what exactly I'm going to achieve with it - I'd be willing to do it if it helps from a diagnostic standpoint but if it's going to come down to doing a refresh or similar anyways I'd almost be more inclined to jump to that because I'm frankly hitting my limit trying to solve this dang thing.

I did try that command as well but I didn't see any indication that it did anything? It was worth a shot though.

#6 opera

opera

• Members
  • 970 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 27 November 2016 - 01:31 AM

Lots of hits for this issue and vids with suggested fixes.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Razor+mouse+keeps+double+clicking&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&client=seamonkey-a&gws_rd=cr&ei=UXw6WMbOC6aNgAaD2bT4BA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FB7t39Q-pw

Edited by opera, 27 November 2016 - 01:32 AM.

#7 IronW

IronW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2016 - 02:58 AM

That video is for the firmware update which I got from Razer and ran, as mentioned in the first post. It didn't work and like I said this issue is not limited to the Razer, just seems slightly worse on it - it could very well just be that this is my main mouse and thus I'm noticing it more on it.

I have googled it before and not had much luck with basically anything suggested, but I'm going to give it a good cleaning/dislodging and see if that helps - I already cleaned it but it can't hurt at this point.

Haven't tested the mouse on the other computer yet incidentally - I'll report once I do that too.

EDIT: Gave it the cleaning detailed in one of the videos and the problem almost immediately resumed - I'm not opening this mouse up because I can still get warranty on it and that would prevent that so I'll just send it off later when I have time for that kind of thing and that should resolve any Razer-specific issues.

Edited by IronW, 27 November 2016 - 03:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users