Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard-drive BSOD (Fixed, but want explanation)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rock278

rock278

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 26 November 2016 - 06:57 PM

Hello.

(If this is in the wrong section, sorry.)

So, a week ago I had terrible issues with Steam. After giving up installing a game, I disconnected it from my laptop and connected it to my main PC-which shortly BSOD'd with SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED, and once MEMORY MANAGMENT. It continued to blue screen until I disconnected the external hard-drive. I connected it to my still running laptop to see if the hard drive was the problem, indeed it was.

A friend on Steam recommended trying to run my laptop in Linux then try connecting the hard drive. So I installed Ubuntu on a USB and booted into it. Connecting the hard drive to Linux? Absolutely fine. I could open all folders with no errors. I then booted back into Windows 10 and reconnected it...It was fine and usable. It's like as if it never happened.

Steam has a bad reputation on my external hard drive(yes, my entire Steam folder is there[so I can use it across laptop/pc]) for causing errors(frequent error message is "There is a problem with this hard drive") and sometimes making it so the Steam folder isn't openable or getting "DISK READ/WRITE ERROR"s(in Steam client) whilst installing games. So that is why I believe Steam is the reason it happened. But I've asked all the people I know, and they have no idea why it happened.

I made this because it's confusing as hell why this happened  and would like to know if there is a proper reason to this aside from "It just happened". I'm sure Windows 10 saves the BSOD information somewhere, but as I know little about the way Windows works I am unable to understand how to discover/analyze them.

Video of it crashing my laptop:

https://twitter.com/rock2781/status/798928481107251200

Infamous but common message:

N3FgrdY.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 29 November 2016 - 12:10 PM

Run the scan/fix option proposed for the drive.  Not doing so does not resolve anything and the fact that the error appears...indicates that the file system is in need of repair efforts.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users