Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power remains on when PC "Shutdown"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wkdknight

wkdknight

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 26 November 2016 - 06:35 PM

Hi,

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.  I'm selecting the shutdown option from the start menu and the process happens as normal to a point.

After the "shutting down" screen, the monitors go black and then a few moments later state "no signal".  However, the base unit still has power.  Fans are still running and LEDs within the case lit.  This seems to only be stopped by then switching the main power switch at the back of the base unit.

When I go to use the PC again I have to switch the main power switch at the back of the base unit back on.  This results in the LEDs in the case immediately coming on and the fans starting at high speed.  Pushing the usual power up button on the case causes the fans to wind down to a more acceptable level and a singular beep occurs before the PC boots up as normal.  The PC appears to be functioning perfectly when in use, it is literally the annoyance of not being able to power down totally and walking away without fear the base unit will constantly be drawing power and running the fans all the time it is not being used etc.

Any help is graciously received.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 26 November 2016 - 06:52 PM

Open a command prompt and to shutdown the computer type the following.

shutdown /f /s

This forces any running applications to close and shutdown the computer. Does the computer shutdown using the command?

#3 wkdknight

wkdknight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 06:57 PM

JohnC_21

Tried the command you suggested.  It shutdown but the problem remains : On/Off power button LED still lit and fans still running.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 26 November 2016 - 07:12 PM

In BIOS settings look for a setting called ACPI and disable it. 

A hotfix is available from Microsoft. I would run the hotfix after trying everything else on the page outside of replacing the PSU.

https://www.wintips.org/windows-7-not-shutdown-completely-problem-solved/

#5 wkdknight

wkdknight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 07:52 PM

In BIOS settings look for a setting called ACPI and disable it. 

A hotfix is available from Microsoft. I would run the hotfix after trying everything else on the page outside of replacing the PSU.

https://www.wintips.org/windows-7-not-shutdown-completely-problem-solved/

Can't seem to find ACPI in my bios but I know my motherboard has ACPI 2.0a (after a google search of ASUS Sabertooth X79).  I'll try the hotfix and other options and see what happens.

EDIT : Downloaded the hotfix and tried to run it but was told it was not applicable for my system.  Thinking the only non-hardware replacing option I have is a clean install of windows 7 which i'll try in the next few days unless someone suggests something else prior to that.

Thanks for taking the time JohnC_21.

Edited by wkdknight, 27 November 2016 - 12:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users