Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to expand partition for new larger drive.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Fletchb

Fletchb

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 26 November 2016 - 04:11 PM

For Black Friday 2009 I bought this HP pc with a 640 gig drive and have used it for both my desktop and windows media center for all my live tv. It's now feeds my kodi system for the live tv part and also my dvd collection (on an external drive.)

I figured with it's age, I had better think about replacing the original drive with a new one and have just done that (with a 1 t drive). I used clonzilla and it worked well other than I need to resize the C partition to take advantage of the extra space. I think the System restore partition (12 gig) is the problem. How can I do this without erasing the system restore partition? I know this is hard to explain, so I am attaching a screen shot of disk manager so you can see what I am trying to explain. Look at DISK 0

Any ideas? Thank you.

Attached Files

• Attached File  disk.jpg   273.13KB   1 downloads

Edited by hamluis, 26 November 2016 - 04:23 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Backup/Imaging - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 04:24 PM

Any 3d-party partition management software...will do the job easily and quickly.

I use EaseUS Partition Manager Free but just about all partition managers can handle this task easily.

Louis

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 26 November 2016 - 04:46 PM

You first need to move the Factory Image Partition to the end of the drive then expand your C: partition. The software Luis posted will do the job. You need to click Apply after completing the steps.

http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-partition-manager/help/resizing-and-moving-partition.htm

#4 Fletchb

Fletchb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 07:54 PM

Any 3d-party partition management software...will do the job easily and quickly.

I use EaseUS Partition Manager Free but just about all partition managers can handle this task easily.

Louis

Thanks... I didn't have any luck with that one...any others you can recommend?

#5 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2016 - 07:20 AM

You can use a Linux live disk to do that with GParted.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2016 - 11:15 AM

Gparted will do the job but make sure you are working on the correct disk. Gparted uses device names instead of disk numbers. In the upper right is a dropdown box to select the correct device. If you only have one hard drive you should only see one device.

device.jpg

The bootable version of Partition Wizard may be an easier option. Burn the iso to disk or use Rufus to create a bootable flash drive.

Resize Move

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2016 - 12:20 PM

MiniTool Partition Wizard, free version, is recommended by some here.  I recommend before you do all of this partition magic, you label each physical HD a unique name, and any hard-drive that has more than one partition -- label each partition a unique name.  Write 'em down somewhere nearby.  When you boot certain utilities, when you use certain external utilities, very often the drive letters you are used to seeing within Windows -- have been shuffled like a deck of cards.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 Fletchb

Fletchb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2016 - 04:09 PM

Thanks guys..I am good now. I have full access to the C drive again. Thanks again for all the help.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2016 - 04:29 PM

Which program did you end up using, Gparted?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users