Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice on HDD-SDD setups

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BadBeat

BadBeat

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Location:The darkest depths of your worst imaginings. Or Slough, UK as its also known.
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 26 November 2016 - 03:32 PM

So a while ago, my HDD died. (The firmware corrupted). It's cost a packet to recover all my data because I was really apathetic about backups. (As in, I didn't)

So seeing as I have to update my storage, it seems sensible to do it properly this time.
I was thinking of a Samsung 850 EVO ssd for booting etc and two 1tb Toshiba P300's for storage.

The plan is to use one HDD to mirror the other. But I was wondering if it would be possible to mirror (or automatically backup in some way) the SSD onto the HDDs at the same time for backup too. It's not something I've ever done before so I don't know what's possible. And even it it was possible, would it affect the performance of the SSD? I'd be using Windows 10 64bit.

Edited by hamluis, 26 November 2016 - 04:08 PM.
Moved from System Building to Backup/Imaging - Hamluis.

Behind you...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 27 November 2016 - 12:15 PM

From personal experience, my attempts at mirroring hard-drives caused difficulties later down the road, Windows Prime did not like the existence of dual Windows.  Part of my answer depends upon:  Is your OS on a separate partition from your data, or, is your OS and your data folders and files on one partition?  If you have separate OS and Data partitions, to me, so much the better for backups and future restores.

What I have done is have two dedicated usb ext pancake 1TB HDs for each computer.  I do an OS partition and a Data partition full image backup onto each of those two dedicated ext HDs.

Now, if you desire to let the SSD be the OS, and one of the two 1TB HDs be the Data drive -- that is aok!  The 2nd 1TB HD can the backup HD -- I do recommend not leaving it connected to the computer until the actual backup time.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2016 - 12:17 PM

There are numerous backup/restore programs, free and pay-for, available.  I use Macrium Reflect and Image for Windows, but that does not mean you have to  :)   -- you have find which program gives you the "look and feel" and operations that you will be most comfortable with.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#4 BadBeat

BadBeat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Location:The darkest depths of your worst imaginings. Or Slough, UK as its also known.

Posted 27 November 2016 - 03:25 PM

Thanks for the advice. I had planned on my OS on the SSD and data on the HDD. I was kind of hoping to use some sort of system that would automate the backing up, because I know if I rely on myself to plug in an external drive to back up onto, that's something I'd forget to do for months at a time.

What sort of software would you recommend for automatic, periodic backing up? I'm assuming once per week would be enough? Also, is that the sort of thing that would run in the background and leave the computer up for normal operations, or is it something that you would need to leave the computer to do for a certain length of time?
Behind you...

#5 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 28 November 2016 - 03:00 AM

Store your 'must haves'/ (photos/docs?) in the cloud, and, simply back up the entire system as an image monthly. If you have valuable documents that need more frequent updating, back up any folder you wish online as well. (If you have an external Western Digital drive, you can use their version of Acronis, or, Easeus Todo Backup, Macrium Reflect, or AOMEI Backupper are all about equally easy to use.)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 04:13 AM

MDD certainly is spot on!  I think you're going to have to experiment with some backup routines and see if the backups are restorable.  I only do full images of my OS partition and my Data partition, I have no experience in incremental nor in differential backup operations [you will have to rely on the wisdom and experience of others here who definitely know incremental and differential operations] -- 'cause apparently, incremental and/or differential backups is what you're indicating.  There is nothing wrong with one-time full imaging, then continual incremental and/or differential backups afterwards, my only caution to you:  you really should practice restoring sometimes, either with a particular folder of files and/or a group of files going this way and that way, because incremental and differential backups lead to a little more complicated restore operations than restoring a full image of X partition back onto X partition.

#7 BadBeat

BadBeat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 05:36 AM

Good advice. Thanks. I'll do a bit of research on cloud and incremental backup options. They both seem to make sense.
Behind you...

#8 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 03:47 AM

Contenders for consideration, all free for personal use....

GoogleDrive/Google Photos
Microsoft One Drive
DropBox
Degoo
PCloud
HubiC
Box
*Cubby (free version recently canceled by LogMeIn, sorry!)
JustCloud
MagentaCloud.de

Online only storage
mega.nz
mediafire

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#9 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:40 AM

My self i don't like it when the Os is the same drive as all the rest, imho best setup is one drive "small" for the Os and one drive "big" for your data.

When it comes time to change Os or rebuild the drive that the Os is on if its everything on one drive topic its hell.

On my main computer i have 5 hdd total,external backups are key as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users