Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something is wrong with default apps Settings

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 26 November 2016 - 03:27 PM

In Settings my default apps have suddenly (following update?) got messed up, in a number of ways. (1) I want to re-register Edge as my default browser since it vanished but clicking it in the list of options has no effect (2) the same is true of Mail which I want to set as the default for emails (3) Media Player has taken over a host of features and cannot be replaced, eg. it persists as the default for music, which was Groove, and similar for videos, and more (4) links in emails, apps, etc. no longer open anything and the popup "How do you want to open this website" does not work.

I have tried sfc/scannow which found nothing.

How can I put this right?

Edited by clayto, 26 November 2016 - 03:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 27 November 2016 - 12:51 AM

Run command prompt as administrator and enter this

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

It can take a little while and may look as though it is stuck when it gets to 20%

Also be online while you do this as it uses Windows Updates in the background to repair any broken files

#3 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2016 - 04:54 AM

Thanks for your reply. I have tried the DISM command a few times but get an error message about 'the source file cannot be found'. A link is provided to a MS article which is somewhat above my head so I have not been able to follow it. I am guessing this an important area which I ought to try getting my head round, so if you can give me a simplified guide to what to do with it, it would be greatly appreciated. I note that the article is not going to be updated so I suspect it is getting out-of-date for Windows 10 (Anniversary)?

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 27 November 2016 - 05:13 AM

Dism uses Windows Update service to restore corrupted Windows components use my batch script to repair Windows Update and then run the Dism command again.

If the Windows Update issue still not resolved follow my instructions to Resolve The Source Files Could Not Be Downloaded Dism Tool Error.

Repair Windows Update Errors

Edited by FreeBooter, 27 November 2016 - 05:14 AM.

Posted Image

#5 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:53 AM

Hello

I am having problems following the instructions.

Using the command in the first article did not work, in fact it generated some odd responses such as "DISM doesn't recognize the command-line option "Dism" ?!

The second article is where I am now stuck. "Replace the X:\Sources folder path with a folder path where Install.wim image file is stored." I have not been able to fathom out how to find the required folder path. Can you explain what I need to do here?

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 01:58 PM

You must type Dism command parameters correctly when you don't you get a DISM doesn't recognize the command-line option message.

By default Install.wim image file is stored within Sources folder on the Windows Setup DVD if you have copied Install.wim image file to another location then replace X:\Sources folder path with where you have stored Install.wim image file. Make sure to replace X: drive letter with drive letter where Install.wim image file located.

Edited by FreeBooter, 28 November 2016 - 02:01 PM.

Posted Image

#7 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 05:21 PM

Hello

I am now getting the response that DISM does not recognise the command " ". I don't know what this means but guess that I have not got the required line correct.  What I entered is: 

DISM  /Online  /Cleanup-Image   /RSourcesestoreHealth     /source:X:\\Install.wim:2    /LimitAccess 

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 05:43 PM

Yes you have enter the command incorrectly enter below command.

DISM  /Online  /Cleanup-Image   /RestoreHealth     /source:X:\Install.wim:2    /LimitAccess 

Posted Image

#9 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 12:47 AM

Hello --- I am guessing I have the command line wrong again for the final stage, as once more I am getting Dism does not recognise it. I have entered what follows in two possible versions, one with " " and one without, but this does not seem to be where the error lies:

Dism  /Mount-Wim  /WimFile:"L:\sources\install.wim"  /index:2/MountDir:C:\MountWim

What baffles me is how I get these errors since I only use command lines which I have copied and pasted, so how can they be wrong?

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 01:13 PM

Hi clayto,

You need to add space between  /index:2  and /MountDir:C:\MountWim parameters.

I'm guessing below command did not repair the Windows component store that must be the reason you are mounting the Install.wim image file am i correct?

DISM  /Online  /Cleanup-Image   /RestoreHealth     /source:X:\Install.wim:2    /LimitAccess

Edited by FreeBooter, 29 November 2016 - 01:16 PM.

Posted Image

#11 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 04:45 PM

I am sorry, I just cannot get it right. I have tried a score of times with variations but just get error 87 and DISM does not recognise.

What is wrong with the line below, I have tried it with one, two and three spaces, with and without " ":

Dism  /Mount-Wim  /WimFile:"L:\sources\install.wim"  /index:2   /MountDir:C:\MountWim

To me this looks like what you describe. 

#12 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 06:18 PM

Dism  /Mount-Wim  /WimFile:"L:\sources\install.wim"  /index:1  /MountDir:C:\MountWim

Lets break down above command:

/WimFile:

With above command you need to supply correct folder path to Install.wim image file.

"L:\sources\install.wim"

Is above "L:\sources" folder path where install.wim image file stored at?

Also is the "C:\MountWim" folder exist?

Edited by FreeBooter, 29 November 2016 - 06:19 PM.

Posted Image

#13 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:25 AM

I am confused. What is (or where is) the path which DISM reports it cannot find? Is it C:\ something? Or L:\ something? Or what? How do I find it and where do I enter it? There is no L:\ something anywhere on my computer. There is a Folder called C:\MountWim --- it is an empty folder --- is that correct? I keep making guesses about what to enter in CmdPrompt but only get errors.

I am sorry I am taking so long to get my head round this.

#14 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:23 AM

Hi clayto,

I think we should found other ways around your problem as you have trouble understanding how to use Dism command which i tried my best to explain to you.

Execute below command one at time.

Sfc /scannow 
Findstr  /c:"[SR]"  "C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log"  > %UserProfile%\Desktop\Cbs.txt

After executing the Findstr command file named Cbs.txt will be created at your Desktop please upload this file to file sharing site and give us the download link.

Posted Image

#15 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 11:23 AM

Hello

Here is the link to the file, in Dropbox:

https://db.tt/0SEH22Qo