Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brand New Computer Not Booting Up...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pyro5050

pyro5050

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 25 August 2006 - 11:05 PM

So i just went a bought a new computer, here are the parts in it.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
Asus M2N-SLI Delux Motherboard
OCZ Duel Channel kit 2GB of DDR2 Ram
EVGA e-GeForce 7959 GX2 1GB video card *PCI-E*
Maxtor 320 GB HD 7200 RPM
LG DVD burner for the optical
Antec "Atlas mini server" case with 550W powersupply

the guys down at the store installed the Processor and the Ram into the MB before i brought this thing home, i installed the optical, the HD, and the Video card.

power cables and SATA/IDE are all connected properly, voltage on the power supply is set to 115v *canadian standard* PDI-E external power is connected.

when i hit the power button the machine does between a 2-5 second spin up, all fans going, and then loses it's motivation to work... motherboards power light is on, the fans on the powersupply, case and heatsink all run for the short time then stop along with all actions...

needless to say i am baffled, and i am not to remove the heatsink as it would void the warrenty... meaning if i cannot figure this out in the next 18 hours i am taking this thing in and saying, "fix it, you get 20 bucks, i spent 1800 here yesterday..."

anyhow, any help is welcome... and thanks... :thumbsup:

Pyro5050 *twenty-one year old baffled gamer*

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2006 - 11:17 PM

Is the wall socket working? did you check all the cords and its all hooked up correctly? did you consult your manual or call for technical support?

#3 pyro5050

pyro5050
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2006 - 11:21 PM

it is hooked to the same surge protector that this one is, checked the cables after it did not boot the first time,

though i did not call for tech help... seeing as it is 10:20pm here...

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 26 August 2006 - 03:21 AM

Start by making sure all connectors are firmly in place and that you haven't forgot any power connectors. Then you can try to clear the CMOS, in case of some incompatible settings. You should find instructions in the motherboard manual.

If it still ain't starting you can unplug everything non-essential, leave only CPU, RAM, keyboard and graphics card. Then see what happens.

Still no luck: Try taking the motherboard out of the case and start the computer with the motherboard sitting on a non-conductive surface. It could be a short.

Next step would be to try another power supply.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 26 August 2006 - 03:42 AM

Take it back to them, say "I am not sure I want this one, can I have another" meaning the guy will have to waste a hour or two making a new one, then give in and say "Look OK I will have this one but could you just fix it", you won't need 20 bucks. And since I am on the recieving end of this ploy often enough.....

Edited by fleamailman, 26 August 2006 - 03:43 AM.

everyday is a gift

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users