Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to boot Windows 10 from a USB gets stuck at Windows logo

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 toasterbot

toasterbot

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 26 November 2016 - 02:31 PM

I want to install Windows 10 onto an HP Compaq 8100 Elite CMT PC. As I got it from my university selling off their excess PCs, it came with no hard drive, but I got and old laptop hard drive working on it. 

Issue:

When I try booting to USB, I get the Windows logo, then the spinning circles for a bit, then just the logo indefinitely.

Rufus setup:

I saw conflicting information about the correct settings for Rufus to make my live USB. Here's what I tried:

MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI-CSM
NTFS
4096 bytes
1 pass
Not quick format
Create bootable disk using: "en_windows_10_education_version_1607_updated_jul_2016_x64_dvd_9055880.iso"
Standard Windows Installation
Create extended label and icon files
Add fixes for old BIOSes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 26 November 2016 - 02:53 PM

From your description it sounds as if the hard drive from the laptop is trying to boot an OS. Tap F9 at boot with the USB flash drive attached and select your USB for a boot device. 

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02000720

Do a clean install per the following guide. It's for Windows 8 but the steps are the same for Windows 10.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-8-or-8-1-2626254

Edit: For Rufus you should do a quick format and Fat32 for the file system.

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 November 2016 - 02:55 PM.

#3 toasterbot

toasterbot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 05:09 PM

Thank you for the reply!

I tried Rufus with these settings, but despite choosing to boot from USB, it booted to Ubuntu which I installed to the HDD.

g4HQZhm.png

When I tried other NTFS settings, I would just get stuck at the Windows logo, even when  booted from a DVD.

Edited by toasterbot, 26 November 2016 - 05:13 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 05:49 PM

I think your iso of Windows 10 is bad. I would redownload the iso using the Media Creation Tool. The Media Creation Tool also lets you to create a bootable USB flash drive instead of using Rufus. I am not sure if the Media Creation Tool would give the option to download the Education version though.

The Windows iso Downloader allows you to download the Education Version. Your AV may flag it but it's a false positive.

#5 toasterbot

toasterbot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 04:01 PM

I tried the media creation tool with the same and another USB drive, then the Windows ISO Downloader, but it always froze with the spinning circles. Any other ideas? It seems bizarre that it doesn't work.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 04:13 PM

I am not sure why Windows 10 fails on the computer, sorry. Is Ubuntu currently on the hard drive?

Do you still have the Ubuntu install disk? We can delete the partitions on the disk using Gparted then create a new GPT partition table. Windows 10 may pick up the disk and install but I can't understand what would be preventing the Windows 10 install from booting. 

Do you have a DVD drive on the computer? See if booting a DVD works. I would also reset your BIOS settings to default.

Edit: How much RAM did the computer come with?

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 November 2016 - 05:17 PM.

#7 LANDERS

LANDERS

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 04:18 PM

Are you still having this issue?

Did you ever get Windows installed? or did that HDD had already an OS installed?

Any way you can boot into another OS to collect logs?

#8 toasterbot

toasterbot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 08:37 PM

Sorry about disappearing for a bit. Huge paper to write.

Anyways, I installed Windows 10 from a flashdrive onto an SSD in another laptop (HP2000) hoping I could just swap the SSD over to the desktop. Now the issue is that on startup, one of two things happen:

#1: No peripherals work, so I can't login.

#2: The computer freezes after I enter 4-6 characters of my password.

Looking through the BIOS, no USB ports are disabled and I have no security features beyond the basic login.

It seems any USB devices freeze the computer. Using a PS2 keyboard worked fine, but plugging in a USB keyboard or mouse froze it. Device manger didn't seem to have updates for the USB driver.

Edited by toasterbot, 03 December 2016 - 09:21 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:44 PM

You can't install Windows on one computer and transfer the drive as the drivers are installed for the computer hardware the OS was installed on. Did you say you were able to install Ubuntu on the same computer using USB and the USB keyboard and mouse worked fine on Ubuntu?

#10 toasterbot

toasterbot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 02:12 PM

It was a long shot.

Ubuntu mostly worked on the Compaq, although sometimes the USB mouse wouldn't work on the windows. The mouse always worked on the taskbar though.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 02:19 PM

Is the reason for installing via USB because the computer does not have an optical drive?

#12 toasterbot

toasterbot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 02:46 PM

It has one, but the symptoms are the same between CD and flash drive booting.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 02:50 PM

Does tapping Esc at boot give you the option for hardware diagnostics?

#14 toasterbot

toasterbot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:37 PM

It doesn't. It just skips the options and tries to boot.

Looking through the BIOS -> Advanced -> PCI Devices, I can see two Intel USB Controllers on IRQ 5. They can both be set to 5, 10, 11, or individually disabled. Not sure if having the AHCI and VGA controllers also on IRQ 5 matters.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:39 PM

Windows plug and play should sort out the IRQs of the devices. You could reset your BIOS to default settings and then try an install.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users