Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SATA USB adaptor / hard drive issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jhess56

jhess56

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 26 November 2016 - 01:13 PM

My girls laptop recently lost its screen function...it's an older computer, windows vista based...and needed replaced anyways.

But the screen wont even show up even when I hook it up to my external adaptor...so I can't transfer/backup any files as I normally would.

So I ordered what I thought was the right tool http://amzn.to/2fzifIj SATA/USB adapter to try and pull the hard drive data off the old laptop so I could back it up and put it on her new one...but I just got it and am playing with it right now, but the 'teeth' or whatever they are called are not matching up with the laptop...compaq presario f500.

Is this the wrong tool overall or do I just need to find the right model to fit this older laptop or what can I do here?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 01:26 PM

From what I can gather this laptop has a SATA hard drive. You will not be using the IDE connections. You have an adapter cable with a white molex connector. The white connector is attached to the end of the Power Brick. You then attach the Black SATA power connector to the SATA drive. It can only go on one way. Take the Red SATA data cable and attach one end to the USB connector as shown in the below image. Attach the other end to the data port on the SATA drive. 

51KGukjN8yL._SX425_.jpg

Edit: your drive may have a plastic connector like the one in the below image. Carefully remove it from the back of the drive. Then connect your adapter.

2-5-hdd-hard-drive-sata-connector-for-hp

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 November 2016 - 01:29 PM.

#3 jhess56

jhess56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 01:54 PM

Hey that second edit did it for me...I had no idea the drive had the adapter thing on it...I took it off and the cords hooked up fine to what was underneath. I love the internet thanks for your help!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 01:58 PM

No problem, 

Glad you are able to recover your data and thanks for the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users