Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building my first computer?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kirkwa

Kirkwa

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 26 November 2016 - 12:07 PM

Hi all, I am attempting to build my first computer and could us some advice and opinions.  I’ve listed parts for a build I'm considering below and would appreciate any feedback.  I'll be use the PC for a little gaming, video editing, and sound recording.  Any thoughts?

1x Intel Core i7-4790K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA 1150 88W BX80646I74790K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Model:BX80646I74790K)

1x ASUS Z97-A/USB 3.1 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard (Model:Z97-A/USB 3.1)

1x DIYPC Solar-M1-R Black/Red SECC ATX Mid Tower USB 3.0 Gaming Computer Case w/ 2 x 120mm Red Fans (Model:Solar-M1-R)

1x HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model HX316C10FBK2/8 (Model:HX316C10FBK2/8)

1x Mushkin Enhanced ECO2 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MKNSSDEC120GB (Model:MKNSSDEC120GB)

1x Seagate Desktop HDD ST1000DM003 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive (Model:ST1000DM003)

1x Rosewill Glacier-700M, Glacier Series 700W Modular Power Supply with Silent Aero-Diversion Fan, 80 PLUS Bronze Certified, Single +12V Rail, Intel 4th Gen CPU Ready, SLI & Crossfire Ready (Model:Glacier 700M)

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 26 November 2016 - 01:54 PM

For video editing, AMD Zen 8C/16T should be much better than any quad core. Estimated availability February 2017.

If you still want to go with Intel, then you'll want LGA1151 platform with LGA1151 CPU and motherboard combined with DDR4 memory. So at least CPU, motherboard and memory needs another pick. LGA1150 is already obsolete socket (LGA1151 replaced it) so LGA1151 will be supported longer.

Edited by hamluis, 29 November 2016 - 11:53 AM.

#3 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 26 November 2016 - 05:39 PM

I'll be use the PC for a little gaming, video editing, and sound recording.  Any thoughts?

What video editing software would you be using?

Most decent software has some form of graphics card acceleration. Would be worth finding out if your software supports it, and getting a cheap graphics card compatible with their form of acceleration around the 100$ area.

Such as a GTX 1050 if they support Nvidia, or a RX 460 if they support AMD. More expensive graphics cards have been shown to add little to no benefit over the cheap 100$ ones when using them for video editing. So more isn't more in this case. 

1x ASUS Z97-A/USB 3.1 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard (Model:Z97-A/USB 3.1)

That's a overclocking motherboard. Are you really planning on overclocking? You could get a non overclocking board for half the price to save some money. The CPU will perform exactly the same on the cheaper board. Less there is some other very specific features you want out of that one. 

1x Rosewill Glacier-700M, Glacier Series 700W 

That's quite a overkill power supply. With the parts you listed, the system wouldn't draw anymore then 200 watts (maybe 250). So why the choice for the 700 watt? Could save some money by getting a 400-500 watt one, or a higher quality 400-500 watt.

AMD Zen 8C/16T should be much better than any quad core. Estimated availability February 2017

This^ 
If anything it will make the price of older parts (IE the ones you have listed) drop significantly in price. So even if you didn't want it, it'd be worth it just for the money saved by waiting a month and a half. 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#4 Kirkwa

Kirkwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2016 - 01:27 AM

Thanks for the replies.  Let me see if I can explain this a little better.

Frist, I have about $1000.00 to spend for a new system.  The configuration I listed is from one of Newegg’s recommended system for a desktop/entry level gaming pc

Second, what I will be using the computer for is the basic uses, e-mail, word docs spread sheets, web surfing and so on.  The video/sound editing is just for Youtube and my own music collection, nowhere near the professional stuff.  Also, I’m not really a gamer but thought it would be fun to try some of the more popular games to see if I like it.  I hope that gives you clearer picture.

So maybe I should approach this from a different angle given you guys are much more schooled in this than then I.

But first let me quickly explain my reasons for attempting this pc build.  I’ve owned many computers going back to the late 90’s.   I have always bought the Dells, Gateway’s, and so on… box store computers, and I’m sick of paying premium prices for inferior systems.  Given I’ve been around computer for some time and have replaced a whole array of cards, power supplies, wiring, disk drives and memory, I feel confident with putting together the hardware side.  That said, picking out the right parts for the money I have to spend is a bit beyond me… big learning curve!

New approach - Maybe you guys can recommend a good configuration for the Money I have to spend, or maybe a better web site for research and recommended builds?  I could push it to $1200.00 if I need too.

Thanks, any help would be much appreciated.

#5 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 27 November 2016 - 05:01 AM

With that budget, if you are planning on doing just a little gaming, video editing, then an RX 480 and i5 6500 would suffice. If you are prepared to order parts from multiple retailers for the cheapest price then you can try https://pcpartpicker.com/. What resolution are you most likely to be using your PC at?

#EDIT: You'd be looking at something like this for $1000: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tyK6qk

Of course, we could sacrifice the GPU for the CPU if you feel that the video editing will be important: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hjZsnn

And if you wanted to push to $1200 then you'd be looking at something like this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LrDDkT

Edited by hamluis, 29 November 2016 - 11:54 AM.

#6 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 27 November 2016 - 11:38 AM

Thanks for the replies.  Let me see if I can explain this a little better.

....... (shortened for readability)

Ohhhhh ok. That makes a lot more sense.

Yeah most box PC's are marked up a lot. More reasonable ones are around 20%, companies like AlienWare tend to do 50%, and Apple does close to 100% with some of their models (if you're just looking at hardware specs). Sometimes a company will make one that costs the same or less as you bulding it yourself, and they can do this because they either buy in bulk or manufacture half the parts themselves (ASUS will sometimes have a model or two like this)

Also, I’m not really a gamer but thought it would be fun to try some of the more popular games to see if I like it.  I hope that gives you clearer picture.

Define "more popular games". Most of the real popular ones won't run on integrated graphics, and need osme kind of dedicated card. 

Frist, I have about $1000.00 to spend for a new system. 

New approach - Maybe you guys can recommend a good configuration for the Money I have to spend, or maybe a better web site for research and recommended builds?  I could push it to $1200.00 if I need too.

Computer aren't NEARLY as costly as they use to be. A very competent gaming machine can be built for around 450$USD new (minus windows).

That's excluding the monitor though, some cheap speakers, and a controller to play games with though. You can use a TV for a screen that has a HDMI input on it. If you want a dedicated screen, a 1080p monitor can be had for 100$ or less.

Logitech makes a great xbox controller clone for 25$ that's usable with PC- if not, a new Xbox One controller is 50$ new. A cheap mouse/keyboard combo is like 15$.

If you're using a TV with HDMI, the PC will use the TV's speakers. Any ol pair of headphones will work to. Buying new though, cheap PC speakers are 10$, and same goes for headphones. Earbuds/inears being 5$ from any corner store if binaural surround sound is your thing. 

A lot of people WAY over estimate hardware required to play video games, or to do anything on a computer. 

Even with having to buy all the accessories to go with the computer. You're still at only 600$-ish (as apposed to over a grand). Without accessories being 450$-ish. Today I'm going out to build a gaming PC for my friend, and am only planning to spend between 50 to 100$ on the used parts for it (mins the video card, which I already have). 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,549 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 27 November 2016 - 04:20 PM

FWIW:  IMO...your projected use of the system doesn't call for any extraordinary components/hardware...let alone $1,000 worth :).  An i7 is overkill, IMO, and based on current timeline...involves too much money for a CPU that may have competition within 90 days or so.

What I would do is use about half of that money and build a box with an AMD FM2 cpu...a small SSD for the O/S...and a 2TB hard drive for nothing but file storage.

You don't need heavy-duty components...to do things that others have done and do today...on systems with much less than components which are the latest.  You don't need a plan...to do simple tasks. 

It's your money, but you don't have to throw it away.

An example of what I believe you should be considering:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/622549/it-is-time/?p=4057475 .

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 27 November 2016 - 04:22 PM.

#8 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:55 AM

Sounds like hamluis has you on the right path for general usage computing. An FM2 APU AMD system, or FX 4300/6300 system is also what I would recommend for that. It's cost effective and works just fine.

Edited by Zone_86, 28 November 2016 - 08:56 AM.

#9 Kirkwa

Kirkwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 07:18 PM

Thanks all, you guys are great! Let me do a little studing on the parts/spic's you guys listed so get a better understanding of each.  I'll get back to you and let you know what I'm going to do. Thanks again everyone!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users