Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help choosing a laptop for my 9 year old

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rsmtexasaggie

rsmtexasaggie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 11:32 AM

My 9 year old loves to game, Minecraft, etc.  She also needs a laptop she can do basic computing, word processing etc.  I have found two I'd like to pick from but one comes with 256 SSD and the other does not.  Other than this the laptops are virtually identical.  I.E. 8G ram, NVIDIA GeForce 940MX Graphics card, one has a DVD Burner and the other does not, but normally we put every thing on flash drives, external drives and use the DVD slot only to view files and I have a good portable DVD Reader. Batteries are the same and the cpu is 2.3GHz.  Both run Intel Core i5.  One does have a 1000 Gb Hard drive(this is the one without SSD). So the only difference is the Hard Drive and the SSD.  The screen resolution is also the same at 1920 X 1080.

(1)1000gb hard drive, 0 gb ssd

(2) 0gb hard drive (this seems hard to believe), 256gb SSD

Note:  She loves to save and use pictures for other basic stuff.

Oh and the other "important" aspect...one is 100$ less.  More within my budget.

Also, if needed can I add SSD to the laptop later?

Any feedback will help immensley!!

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 27 November 2016 - 06:48 PM.
Moved from 'computer gaming' to 'Advice on buying a computer'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 27 November 2016 - 07:08 PM

If the other specs are effectively equal then your decision comes down to start up speed and price.

The 1TB hard disk drive will boot slower but obviously hold more data, the one with the SSD will boot faster but only hold a quarter of the data. Depending on how much your daughter is into pictures and graphics would have a bearing, these tend to generate large files. At a very quick count I have about 850 GB of photos on my computer but my wife and I are fairly keen photographers.

I also suspect the the '$100 cheaper' one is the one with the 1 TB drive. Unless speed of booting is important and if my suspicion is correct, I would go with the 1 TB drive.

You probably cannot 'add' an SSD to the laptop later, there are not many laptops with the ability to hold more than one drive. You would be able to change the conventional 'spinning rust' drive for an SSD but you would need to re-install the OS and all the applications afterwards. You would then be able to still use the 1 TB drive as an external data store via a USB caddy.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 12:59 PM

You would be able to change the conventional 'spinning rust' drive for an SSD but you would need to re-install the OS and all the applications afterwards.

Most SSDs come with drive-cloning software now for the specific purpose of replacing a OS drive without having to reinstall. Would have to carefully choose what SSD to buy to make sure it comes with it, but it's not really an issue. I've personally done it a few times without issue to laptops. 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 03:09 PM

FWIW:  Cloning/partitioning software from any reliable developer...can be used to clone an existing Windows partition to a SSD.  It's included by some drive manufacturers as a convenience, not a necessity or major player in making any decision to purchase a SSD.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users