Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to migrate O/S (Win&SP1) from 'C' drive to SSD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Raymondo44

Raymondo44

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 26 November 2016 - 09:45 AM

I have been trying in vain, to migrate my O/S to SSD (Samsung 850 EVO 250GB). In my previous post, I outlined this problem, begining with unable to make back-ups of my pc. This has now been rectified.

My SSD is just under 1 year old and seems to function correctly ie I can move files etc to it and delete. Currently, I have spent almost a month on and off trying various means of achieving the migration.

I have used the software from SAMSUNG for this purpose many times with no success. I have also bought EaseUS Partition Master 11 (latest) and used this with no success. I had a Team Viewer session (remote pc control) of over 2 hours with them, resulting in my pc becoming  unusable - I had to employ a pc tech., to bring it back to life. I had to connect/disconnect the SATA cables in many configurations, turning off pc each change of cabling.

I have just had another offer from EaseUS for another Team Viewer session - don't want to risk it again!

I also tried to contact Samsung for support but couldn't find the way to do it.

In my opinion, there seems to be a portion at the begining of the drive that prevents successfully migrating to it.

I can send screenshots of the drive before using the Samsung software and the screenshot of it after.

I can't believe this is such a problem. When I first received the drive, it took the migration perfectly. Since then and various changes to my drives, the SSD will not take it!

Hope this is clear enough for you to assimilate and hopefully point me in the right direction.

Appreciate any help you can offer for this nightmare.

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 26 November 2016 - 10:00 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Backup/Imaging Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 26 November 2016 - 09:59 AM

Hi

I have one suggestion to offer that might work.

1st Make sure that the Drive You want to migrate from is defragmented and in good health. Your Hard drive maker should have software to check the drive, I know Seagate and Western Digital have that.

2nd Do a secure erase using the function for that within Samsung Magician software. Then try migrating again using the Samsung migration software.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,243 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 10:11 AM

In your second image is Disk 0 your SSD and this is after the migration? I don't understand why you have a 99MB logical partition at the beginning of the disk. 

#4 Raymondo44

Raymondo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2016 - 11:42 AM

Today I merged the 2 partitions eventually, to 1, naming it SSD 27-11-16 (E). Therefore, I had this drive to Migrate with Samsung's software.. Before I did this I used Samsung's magician to Secure Wipe the drive.

Loaded the SSD into the USB 3 caddy and then did the Samsung Date Migration software and had a message the drive was frozen. Followed the instructions to unplug the power cable to it and plug-in after some seconds.

Continued with the Migration, which the software said was successful. 

Turned off the pc and removed the SSD from the caddy, installed into pc and then rebooted via F8 choosing the SSD to boot from.

No success again!

Having merged the drives E: and G; to E: and completed the data migration, the drive reverts back to the 2 partitions with apparently no OS.

Completely baffled! 

Can supply screenshots of the before/after but don't know how to add them.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 27 November 2016 - 12:04 PM

Exactly which Windows is on the internal hard-drive?  Two of my three Windows 7 Pro must have the System Reserved partition in order to boot, a third one does not -- go figure.  I don't know exactly what happened -- all I know is:  the internal hard-drive should have a System Reserved partition [this is Windows 7, correct?] and then what is commonly called "c drive" which really is the OS partition.  Do you have the Windows 7 install DVD?  Do you have a "repair Windows" usb or dvd boot?  Do you have any recent backups of your OS partition [and maybe also of the System Reserved partition] on external media?  Answers to these questions may help us help you.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,243 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2016 - 12:40 PM

Attachments are not allowed on this forum. You need to upload the images to a image hosting site and then post the links.

I would try this method.

Download Aomei Backupper Free and create a complete disk image (disk backup), not system or partition image, to an exterrnal drive. Create a bootable USB or DVD disk of Aomei. Select Windows PE, not linux. Replace your hard drive with the SSD. Boot the Aomei disk or USB flash drive and restore the image. Be sure to check the SSD box.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 November 2016 - 12:45 PM.

#7 Raymondo44

Raymondo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:05 AM

Many thanks to JohnC_21 for his guidance and instructions. Together with support from AOMEI I have successfully migrated my O/S to SSD. Nightmare is over. 

Muchos gracias!

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,243 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 09:54 AM

Your Welcome,

Glad Aomei worked for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users