Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need help with computer IP's.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TropiconForHire

TropiconForHire

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 26 November 2016 - 03:03 AM

Hi

So here's the story: 

I was playing with someone on Minecraft, who, I didn't know, could get information about people over skype. I've heard that this is pretty easy to do, but on with the story.

They got my computer's IP address. So I started to panic. I blocked them on skype, and I even did the "Unplug modem for 5 minutes and your IP address will change"

It changed, thank god.

I read that if your IP address changes, that they can't do anything with your old one. Is this true?

Also, is it possible for them to get my new IP address? Even if I blocked them on skype?

ALSO, what can people do with your IP address?

I need to stop being so paranoid.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 26 November 2016 - 07:01 AM

Online game playing....from what I understand...is risky.

Go to ShieldsUp and allow it to test your router and computer for vulnerabilities. Just click on the proceeds buttons after reading what it is and does.

GRC | ShieldsUP! — Internet Vulnerability Profiling  

EDIT: copied from ShieldsUp:

Here's what you need to know about Universal Plug n' Play (UPnP):

• UPnP has been provided and enabled by default in consumer Internet routers since 2002 or 2003.
  • Today, any home appliance — TV's, DVD players, game consoles, IP cameras, printers, fax machines, and you-name-it, includes support for UPnP.
  • UPnP is a “zero-authentication” (no passwords required) system for allowing networked devices to discover and easily connect with each other on a private local network.
  • Additionally, software such as Skype and BitTorrent, and gaming consoles, which wish to be “seen” on the Internet, are able to use UPnP to open “holes” through the protection normally provided by routers in order to allow “unsolicited” traffic to enter.
  • THE HUGE MISTAKE IS: No part of UPnP was EVER MEANT to be exposed to the EXTERNAL public Internet. It was only ever meant for private local control of devices and routers. Its exposure gives malicious hackers direct access to the inside of any exposed private network. It was a huge mistake for it ever to be exposed. Router manufacturers are at fault, but all they can do now is offer updated router firmware. Now that the mistake has been made, responsibility rests upon router owners to somehow eliminate that exposure.

Edited by buddy215, 26 November 2016 - 07:10 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 02:52 PM

Hi there, and welcome to Bleeping Computer. I hope you learn lots here. :)

What @buddy215 said is a great idea. I just wanted to add an inkling here from my experience...

You asked, "Also, is it possible for them to get my new IP address? Even if I blocked them on skype? ALSO, what can people do with your IP address?"

For this answer, some can do what's called an "IP traceback" - which is defined by Wikipedia as, "...a name given to any method for reliably determining the origin of a packet on the Internet. Due to the trusting nature of the IP protocol, the source IP address of a packet is not authenticated." <== Right here at the end of this definition is the exact reason why they can trace your IP. This is a big problem with IP address systems.

#4 TropiconForHire

TropiconForHire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 08:37 PM

Online game playing....from what I understand...is risky.

Go to ShieldsUp and allow it to test your router and computer for vulnerabilities. Just click on the proceeds buttons after reading what it is and does.

GRC | ShieldsUP! — Internet Vulnerability Profiling  

EDIT: copied from ShieldsUp:

Here's what you need to know about Universal Plug n' Play (UPnP):

• UPnP has been provided and enabled by default in consumer Internet routers since 2002 or 2003.
  • Today, any home appliance — TV's, DVD players, game consoles, IP cameras, printers, fax machines, and you-name-it, includes support for UPnP.
  • UPnP is a “zero-authentication” (no passwords required) system for allowing networked devices to discover and easily connect with each other on a private local network.
  • Additionally, software such as Skype and BitTorrent, and gaming consoles, which wish to be “seen” on the Internet, are able to use UPnP to open “holes” through the protection normally provided by routers in order to allow “unsolicited” traffic to enter.
  • THE HUGE MISTAKE IS: No part of UPnP was EVER MEANT to be exposed to the EXTERNAL public Internet. It was only ever meant for private local control of devices and routers. Its exposure gives malicious hackers direct access to the inside of any exposed private network. It was a huge mistake for it ever to be exposed. Router manufacturers are at fault, but all they can do now is offer updated router firmware. Now that the mistake has been made, responsibility rests upon router owners to somehow eliminate that exposure.

Hi there, and welcome to Bleeping Computer. I hope you learn lots here. :)

What @buddy215 said is a great idea. I just wanted to add an inkling here from my experience...

You asked, "Also, is it possible for them to get my new IP address? Even if I blocked them on skype? ALSO, what can people do with your IP address?"

For this answer, some can do what's called an "IP traceback" - which is defined by Wikipedia as, "...a name given to any method for reliably determining the origin of a packet on the Internet. Due to the trusting nature of the IP protocol, the source IP address of a packet is not authenticated." <== Right here at the end of this definition is the exact reason why they can trace your IP. This is a big problem with IP address systems.

Thank you guys for letting me know the facts. I didn't know IP addresses had so many cons that they overthrow the pros. 

I've read a little more into IP addresses myself and found out that the most people can do with your IP address ONLY is a DoS or DDoS attack, but almost all of those articles said that it's pretty uncommon, because people don't have the time, or you're not worth their time. I don't believe this to be true for ALL people, but I agree that it's most likely true for a majority of people.

Plus some other sources said that it's a good idea to keep your software up to date, a good anti virus and a firewall.

I'm glad people here at Bleeping Computer helped me with this. I can't thank you enough.

One thing I need to work on is, why did I even give them my skype. I am so much smarter than that but something came over me. 

Edited by TropiconForHire, 26 November 2016 - 08:38 PM.

#5 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 09:40 PM

I've read a little more into IP addresses myself and found out that the most people can do with your IP address ONLY is a DoS or DDoS attack, but almost all of those articles said that it's pretty uncommon, because people don't have the time, or you're not worth their time. I don't believe this to be true for ALL people, but I agree that it's most likely true for a majority of people.

Yeah, most of the time, your computer would be "attacked" if you had something awesome up for grabs on your system, or they had a vendetta against you (super rare).

#6 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 27 November 2016 - 04:18 AM

I read that if your IP address changes, that they can't do anything with your old one. Is this true?

Your previous IP address will be reused by another client. There is no relation between your current and previous IP address.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#7 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 27 November 2016 - 04:24 AM

Plus some other sources said that it's a good idea to keep your software up to date, a good anti virus and a firewall.

It depends what device is assigned your public IP address. Often it is your router, and then they can only get to your router.

But if it is your computer that has the public IP address, then they can get to your computer.

(D)DoS is not the only thing they can do, they can also try to exploit vulnerabilities.

If your computer is directly on the Internet (network interface is assigned public IP address), then a firewall is a must.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2016 - 08:11 AM

(D)DoS is not the only thing they can do, they can also try to exploit vulnerabilities.

If your computer is directly on the Internet (network interface is assigned public IP address), then a firewall is a must.

If you haven't done so, you should secure your router. Especially changing the default password, denying remote access, update its firmware, and confirming its firewall is turned on.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 02:12 PM

@TropiconForHire

Has any of this helped you or solved this issue? We would like to know, please! :)

#10 TropiconForHire

TropiconForHire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:58 PM

@TropiconForHire

Has any of this helped you or solved this issue? We would like to know, please! :)

Well, it's certainly given me a lot more knowledge about computer IP addresses, and I would have to say yes, because this is going to help me in the future.

#11 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:59 PM

Good to hear! :)

#12 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:40 PM

Hole internet has your IP the min you log in and bots scan computer ip and ports all over the place, if you ever run a computer on the net in bridge mode you would see just how many attacks happen and are blocked on a min by min bases "piles", i don't see what the panic is over.

But i do understand what you mean some, all it takes is one weak spot on whatever your using that's allowed to connect to the net and you can get owned.

That's why theirs bots scanning the net all the time, their looking for weak spots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users