Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Monitor Cannot Turn on After Short Electricity Outage

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 paulyjustin

paulyjustin

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 11:06 PM

Have a dell xps laptop that i connect an external monitor to. My main screen would be the external monitor and my laptop screen would be the secondary screen.

Im located outside the us and where im at, its very common to have power outrages. Thus internet going out and also electricity going out. But when electricity goes out, it usually isn't that long. Many times it would go out for a few minutes then it would all come back etc. Theres been few times when the outage has been much longer.

I would immediately know this when my external monitor turns off and when my fans turn off. Then usually it comes back again. Well earlier this happened and everything turned off. So when this happens, the power in the refridgerator is off as well. Then the electricity seemed to have came back on.

However, I then went to power on my external monitor and nothing turns on because i notice the external monitor didn't turn back on which is almost always does. 

Its an asus 24' monitor and its this one

Amazon.com: ASUS VS24AH-P 24.1" WUXGA 1920x1200 HDMI DVI VGA Eye Care Monitor: Computers & Accessories

Can someone tell me how do i fix this issue? I connect my monitor to my laptop with an hdmi cable. The thing is when have the hdmi connected, on laptop screen it looks like how it should look. Basically there is nothing there. I extend both monitors where the main screen is my external monitor. I do notice that when i drag my mouse from my laptop screen to to the monitor... the mouse disappears from my laptop screen which means that my monitor should be working right?

Does anyone know what i can do here? Also as of now my electricity came back. However, why is nothing showing up in my external monitor? I do have occasions where my internet would be out but now my electricity came back. So why does my monitor not turn on?

intel r hd graphics 530
nvidia geforce gtx 960m

when i click on each of it, both shows the device is working properly. This is when i unplugged the hdmi cable from my externall monitor. Thus right now im only using my laptop monitor as the screen since if i connect it to external monitor, i cannot type anything as the main screen would be my external monitor but it doesn't turn on. I click on the bottom buttons under this monitor and nothing turns on.

Also i like to add that i only have 2 electric outlets where my computer is located. One i used directly for the external monitor. The other one, i used a surge protector since i plug few things into it such as my laptop charger and my internet modem. Thus i need a surge protector because i dont have enough outlets.

Can someone tell me what i can do here? That should mean it has nothing to do with my graphics cards right since it does show working properly? Nothing turns on with the asus monitor. I clicked on all the buttons under it... nothing shows up...

Edited by paulyjustin, 25 November 2016 - 11:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 paulyjustin

paulyjustin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 11:07 PM

I like to add, I cannot just get a new monitor. This monitor is 1920x1200 resolution and i cannot get this here where im located. 

Can someone tell me what i can check here? I will most likely going to the computer repair shop here for them to take a look at this if i can't get this issue fixed.

Basically i have to get this monitor fixed even if it cost a lot of money because i cannot just order this monitor and get it because im not in the us. The monitors here are not 1920x1200 resolution. Its basically close to impossible to get one of these.

I know that electric outlet where my monitor was connected to isn't the issue because i connected something else to it and it works.

I read online that it could be something with Bios? However when i click on the power button or any of the other buttons on the asus monitor, nothing lights up. So does that mean my monitor went bad due to the short electric outage. This is very frustrating. 

The other thing would be use someone else computer to see if it connects to this monitor via hdmi? However most people where im located dont have a computer so that makes it even more frustrating. Of course i could do this at a computer repair shop. But can someone tell me advice on what i can do here? The thing that bothers me is nothing lights up on my monitor. I mean, it can't be the hdmi cable going bad right? Since when its connected to it, it does show my laptop monitor as secondary monitor? Obviously if its just replacing the hdmi cable that would be very easy. 

So most likely its my monitor? I have to get the monitor fixed asap and now i dont know what to do.

Someone on another forum mentioned its most likely a broken fuse.  If it is, can most monitors be fixed at a computer repair shop by having them replace it?  Or are these fuses different such that certain brands use different fuse so they have to order it etc?  Someone online said they cost like $2 the fuse and of course the repair cost which is much more. 

Basically the monitor doesn't even power on anymore.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,984 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 26 November 2016 - 12:52 AM

A monitor should power on independently of any external connection, so if it does not come on from its own power button then nothing relating to the computer, BIOS, etc is relevant.

It's possible that an internal fuse may have failed, but in a monitor, any fuse is often a small component soldered to a circuit board, so typically not user replaceable. If your electrical standards require a small fuse to be fitted in the mains plug, check that.

Otherwise, not powering up after loss of mains supply is usually caused by failure of the PSU board in the monitor, and would need a trip to the repair shop.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 paulyjustin

paulyjustin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 01:57 AM

hi there.  The thing is im not familiar with this.  I cant open a monitor up as im not computer savy at all.  This monitor, i connect my hdmi cable to it to my laptop and of course that power cord which connected to the wall outlet.

Okay so if there is a failure of the psu board in the monitor, do you think they can fix and repair this monitor?  Someone mentioned the fuse but can they repair it is the issue?  Do they usually have the parts at a repair shop for this or do they need specific parts for certain models?

I know most people go to a repair shop for the computer and rarely monitors so wondering on this.  I will obviously bring my monitor and the power cord and the hdmi cable with me.  But i should always bring my laptop with me as well right?  And yes i dont believe it has anything to do with my laptop as i recalled a monitor should power on even when not connected to a laptop or desktop.

#5 paulyjustin

paulyjustin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 02:14 AM

Here is something that i thought is strange.  Someone else asked me this

The one thing that doesn't add up for me is that the laptop thinks there's a monitor attached. An impotent HDMI cable doesn't usually do that for a laptop. So, to the OP: when you say the monitor "doesn't turn on", do you mean literally no power indicator lights or anything? Or do you just mean no picture?

My response

When i say monitor doesn't turn on, i mean that it doesn't power on at all. Whether by itself or connected to my laptop via hdmi cable. You click on the power button, menu button etc... nothing lights up or shows up. Nothing on the screen. It doesn't power on.

About the hdmi cable. If i connect the hdmi cable to my external monitor, my laptop screen however shows what it does when its connected to an external monitor. Basically like a second screen. My setup is my monitor is the main screen. So when i turn on my laptop normally with the external monitor connected, basically everything such as desktop icons, start menu etc is shown on my external monitor. Thus the only time when something is shown on my laptop screen is when i drag a chrome page or other program to the laptop screen. I have the 2 screens on extend if you know what i mean.

So yes you are right. Why does my laptop screen change when i connect the hdmi to the external monitor when the external monitor doesn't turn on then? Theres no blue light, orange light or anything etc. I mean isn't it suppose to not recognize the external monitor at all and the screen should stay the way it is?

Does anyone have a clue why this happens then?  Why does my laptop even recognize the external monitor so to speak if the monitor doesn't even power on?   

#6 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 02:35 PM

Two things to do that's best in this situation right now (must be done in order):

1. Try to use the monitor with a different PC (I assume this was not tried yet), and if it does not work, go to step 2 below:
  2. Contact ASUS (product manufacturer/distributor) under warranty services. See if they can help service/replace it, because usually it will be at no charge.

If it does work with another PC, then we need to troubleshoot your PC further.

(Edit: changed Acer to ASUS.)

Edited by Kakuzu, 26 November 2016 - 02:35 PM.

#7 paulyjustin

paulyjustin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 10:11 PM

I went to repair shop and was told there will be a diagnostic done and i will get a call back from them early next week. I asked so do you know what are the odds it can be fixed and i was told its about 50/50. They pressed the power button and noticed it didnt power on etc.

Yes so this monitor is Asus and not a dell. So im not sure if that makes a big difference or not.

Yes where im located there are frequent power outages. Most of the time its just a few minutes, other times much longer than that. But again each time this happened and when my electricity came back, everything would turn back on. So when my monitor didn't turn back on and my fans was on, i was confused why. I then look at my fridge and it was on so thats when i noticed this. 

As for the replacement monitor options, they do not have this type of monitor where im located with this resolution. That is the main issue. If i could get it, well it makes everything simple as if they can't fix it, i just order one online and have it shipped.

But here, i cannot do this. Thats my issue.

So if its the power supply, its fixable. If its a broken fuse, its fixable. But if its a what... when its not fixable?

#8 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 11:53 PM

Without going into major detail for a moment, you are trying to figure out the root cause of why the monitor is not working.

Answer these questions to make it easier for us to diagnose, please:

1. Does it power on at all? If so, what does it do when it powers on?
  2. Do you have available spare power supply to try?
  3. Are you actively going back and forth from here to a different forum and vice-versa? If so, it would be better for you to choose one or the other, because I'm confused on what we are suppose to do to help you decide what to do.
  4. Please state exactly what you want to do.

If you do not mind stating answers to my questions by putting a number in front of the answer, that should help streamline this process. Because you have not stated things concisely and let us know exactly what we need to help you decide, it is making it difficult to diagnose and help you repair the problem. However, we are here to help, and want to do so, we just need a concise request here.

#9 paulyjustin

paulyjustin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2016 - 11:27 AM

1.  No it does not power on.

2.  No i don't.  But when i was at the repair shop, they did try to turn it on with their own power supply as they said they didn't need my cables.

3.  Yes

Well since im waiting for them to diagnose it, i want to know if you guys think it could be fixed or not.  

#10 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2016 - 12:53 PM

I'm not one to give false hope, my apologies. Since it is the monitor itself giving problems, the best thing to do is contact warranty services to see if there is any possibility for repair. I'm not a pessimist, mate, but seriously if it is not the board that has gone bad, then it could be the power supply transistors (which again point to a board problem). Since I'm not servicing the monitor actively, it is hard to tell from this perspective. This is just experience, because I have had storms that caused power surge in my area, and made part of my components on the motherboard go out. The motherboard still worked, but some components failed, so replacing the board helped. These devices rely on power to exist, but when their transistors fail, the device fails to power on or work properly. There is a fine line between what can be repaired, and what seems hopeless. This is not to say that this situation is hopeless, but please keep in mind all we can do is run diagnostics. To give you a definite answer when no definite answer is present is simply irresponsible. Please note I wrote all this with kindness, because I really want your device to be fixed. :)

#11 paulyjustin

paulyjustin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 01:37 PM

Went back from repair shop.  They told me they cannot fix it.  Said the board is broken.  Does anyone know exactly where this is in the back of the monitor?  He showed me but i forgot where exactly.

I asked so its not possible to fix it... they said it isn't possible.

So that meant even replacing parts on it doesn't do anything right?  I didn't ask any more questions since i figured if they could, well obviously they would try.

#12 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 02:04 PM

Well, yes, you can attempt to replace the main board inside the monitor, and it might work. However, I only see one listing from a quick search on ebay (no affiliation). Since you have said you cannot receive anything being shipped or able to ship anything, there may not be a way to fix it indeed.

However, if you can possibly remove the main board, take a picture of it front and back, and upload the picture here so I can give a second opinion. Not promising, however.

While I cannot tell you exactly where this main board is, I can tell you the process of removing the main board is difficult, and I would not recommend such a process especially if one is a novice or inexperienced with servicing devices (in particular monitors). I would recommend searching for a tutorial on a video site (such as YouTube, Dailymotion, etc.). You must also avoid Electro-Static Discharge (ESD).

Edited by Kakuzu, 29 November 2016 - 02:06 PM.

#13 paulyjustin

paulyjustin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 06:48 PM

hi there well i dont want to try that if doing that is even close to medium difficult.

so that means my monitor is basically useless now right?  I did buy a 600 joule surge protector recently due to this.  Of course if i had one earlier, do you think this could have prevented it?  Would you say 100 percent my monitor went bad because of that short power outage?  The thing is again i had lot of power outages but every time i did, when electricity came back, well everything was fine... monitor turned back on.  I did not know power outages could cause damage to your equipment as i never had that ever happen before.  

#14 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 07:14 PM

so that means my monitor is basically useless now right?
It might be basically useless right now, if you cannot reasonably fix it or attempt a repair. I hesitate to call anything useless, until at least a few people confirm it, because sometimes a technician might miss something or may naively lack experience on the issue.

Of course if i had one earlier, do you think this could have prevented it?
Probably the case, yes. They're not 100% proof, but there is a good chance problems can be prevented if a surge protector is obtained to prevent overage of voltage to a specific device. Surge protectors work to divert voltage increases to the ground to avoid damage to the electronic device. Devices are incapable of receiving too much voltage, which is why power supply units, transistors, and other power management equipment exist. Protecting such equipment with a surge protector is highly recommended.

Would you say 100 percent my monitor went bad because of that short power outage?
Again, I cannot 100% say the monitor went bad because of a power surge; however, it is likely the case if many power surges occurred. :radioactive:

#15 paulyjustin

paulyjustin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 07:46 PM

Well heres the thing.  I know there might be another place that fixes tv and monitors.  The thing was the compute repair shop i went to which i thought could look at my monitor, they said they couldn't fix it and recommended me a place to have my monitor looked at.  I asked them is it this one etc... since i saw it when walking by before i got to the repair shop.  they told me no... its not that one... its the other one.  They said the one im talking about isn't that good compared to the other one.  So the one i went to was the best one.  

So i assume there is no point to waste any money to go to the other place right?  Basically the place i went to is probably the best tv repair shop in this city.  The other one... well if you look at the place from the outside... it looks like one of those hardware stores with a ton of tvs outside etc and the guy fixing it.  Thus he doesn't look that skilled compared to the place where i went to if you know what i mean?

I had many power outages where im located.  But this is first time the monitor didn't power back on.  Do you believe there is always a way to repair a monitor?  in another forum, someone told me all monitors can be repaired.  Its probably that it would cost more than getting a new monitor which is why they said they cant fix it.  Thus the parts probably cost a lot.  Do you think so?  The thing is if thats true, wouldn't they tell me they can fix it but it will cost this much money etc?  The thing is they didnt even charge me a fee for the diagnostic etc.  But the other person on the forum said they can fix it, they just need the parts and figure it cost a lot.  I did ask the guy so there is no way it can be repaired and he said nope.  So im guessing no point?

Edited by paulyjustin, 29 November 2016 - 07:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users