Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezes periodically while playing games

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Voltfest

Voltfest

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:46 PM

Hello, I'm hoping that I can get some insight on how to fix an issue with my PC.

Recently, while playing video games, the game will lock up periodically for one to three seconds. The game window will sometimes grey out and have "Not responding" in the bar up top. While this is happening, the game sound that was playing with play a half second loop through the duration of the freeze. The game will then resume after this short time. In Hearthstone, these freezes seem to happen randomly before a spell effect happens, or upon switching turns. Maybe just coincidence. In WoW and League of Legends, it just happens when it feels like it.

This issue has started just recently, and I haven't made any modifications to the machine prior to the issue.

I keep the heat sinks and whatnot inside free of dust with canned air regularly, and core temperatures according to the "Core Temp" program tells me that the max temp reached is 52.
In attempts to rectify the issue, I've uninstalled and re-installed the graphics drivers, but to no avail.

I'm running Windows 7 Professional
8GB ram
64 bit system
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250gb solid state (operating system installed)
Western Digital 1tb HD
Intel® Core™ i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3501 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Gigabyte Technology Z87X-D3H motherboard
750W Silverstone powersupply
Nvidia Geforece GTX 770

Please let me know what I can do to troubleshoot/fix this issue, and thank you in advance!

Update: Only seems to occur with games that require the internet.

Edited by Voltfest, 26 November 2016 - 02:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 morganofavalon

morganofavalon

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 11:06 PM

video memory

#3 Voltfest

Voltfest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 11:10 PM

This is an issue that hasn't happened since I built the machine roughly two years ago. What can I do about it if it is the video memory?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 26 November 2016 - 05:41 AM

Stuff gets old and stuff wears out after being used for a while.

We find that issues like this are often due to video issues (to include video memory).

I'd suggest starting with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Please start with the video tests, but be sure to complete ALL of them (as memory errors can show up in any of them).

Also, please let us know the results of the tests when you're done.

Other than that, wait until it freezes again, then recover from the freeze and immediately generate these 2 sets of reports:

Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

Report Set #1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be experiencing BSOD's) so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities.  
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Report Set #2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:
You may not need to log temps - if uncertain, please ask.

To make it work (log the temps to a file) you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.

NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

Edited by usasma, 26 November 2016 - 05:41 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Voltfest

Voltfest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 02:27 PM

Attached , find stress tests and the thing you asked me to run after a freeze.

During the second test *not the fur one), core temps went around 85 under full load

Attached Files

#6 morganofavalon

morganofavalon

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 26 November 2016 - 02:31 PM

actually freezing maybe CPU...getting too hot

does the video card have a fan on it??

I would double your memory...

#7 Voltfest

Voltfest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 02:33 PM

Video card has two built in fans, as well as a large fan on it from the side.

note the cpu only hits those temps under 100% load due to the stress test. During gameplay it hovers from 40-46ish

#8 Voltfest

Voltfest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 06:34 PM

I've re-installed windows as an attempt to fix, to no avail.

How do I go about testing the physical components of my video card/ram/ect to see if they are individually defective?

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2016 - 06:05 AM

I can't read the temps on the Furmark screenshot - but as they're not triple digits (100+) and the temps have leveled out at a certain level, I don't suspect that overheating of the video card is a problem.

This set of free tests will stress the video card in other ways:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html#morevideo
But, the ultimate test is to try another video card.  If you don't have a spare on hand, you can purchase one from a place that'll let you return it (if it's not needed) for your money back.  I'd think it was a bit premature to do this right now - I'd wait to see if there are any other test results that point to the video card.

You can also run the rest of the free tests here:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

I'm running late for work and will look at the test results either this afternoon, or in the morning (UTC-5, east coast of the US)

Edited by usasma, 27 November 2016 - 06:06 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 Voltfest

Voltfest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2016 - 05:08 PM

http://imgur.com/a/mduE8

Memtest 86 came back with no errors

Here is a list of the memstress test as well as the OCCTPT test. I'll continue to do and post more as I can

Edited by Voltfest, 27 November 2016 - 06:28 PM.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 05:16 AM

Only 3 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most systems with SP1 have 350-400 or more.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available updates (it may take several trips to get them all).
The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

These devices have problems in Device Manager:

Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface    ROOT\*TEREDO\0000    This device is disabled.
sptd    ROOT\LEGACY_SPTD\0000    This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed.

Please right click ont the Teredo device and select "Uninstall".  Reboot the system and see if the error comes back (it most likely won't).  If it does, post back for more suggestions.

Please uninstall Daemon Tools and use the SPTD removal tool to remove any remnants.
If Daemon Tools is already uninstalled, reinstall it and then uninstall it to see if it removes the problems.

Here's my canned speech about Daemon Tools:

Daemon Tools (and Alcohol % software) are known to cause BSOD's on some Windows systems (mostly due to the sptd.sys driver, although I have seen both dtsoftbus01.sys and dtscsibus.sys blamed on several occasions).

Please un-install the program, then use the following free tool to ensure that the troublesome sptd.sys driver is removed from your system (pick the 32 or 64 bit system depending on your system's configuration):  New link (15 Aug 2012):  http://www.duplexsecure.com/downloads (pick the appropriate version for your system and select "Un-install" when you run it).
Alternate link:  http://www.disc-tools.com/download/sptd
Manual procedure here:  http://daemonpro-help.com/en/problems_and_solutions/registry_and_sptd_problems.html
NOTE:  The uninstaller may not find the SPTD.sys driver.  Don't worry about it, just let us know in your post.
NOTE2:  The latest version has an SPTD2.sys driver - the uninstaller is on the same page as the SPTD.sys driver - just download the version for W10!

#12 Voltfest

Voltfest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 02:04 PM

I've uninstalled Daemon, as well as the Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface. No errors a result of removing them as you had anticipated.

As for the windows updates, I can't seem to 'find' any updates. I've attempted to run the stand alone updater as well as the integrated one, and it simply seems to 'search' for updates forever. The bar continues to scroll as if it were searching, but after over an hour, nothing changed.

Is there a work around for this?

Attached Files

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 07:36 PM

W7 has update problems (and I'm no good at fixing them).
Try this post by CKing123, the link there may help:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/625369/high-cpu-usage-and-endless-windows-update/?p=4075499

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users