Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where Can I Get "free" Drivers From Please!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 oz_herb

oz_herb

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 25 August 2006 - 10:21 PM

ive been searching the net for some drivers and cant fide anywhere for free and its really annoying the hell out of me..can anyone help...i'll post the divers if needed but is there just one site i can go too? thanks.oz.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oz_herb

oz_herb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2006 - 10:33 PM

ok these are the drivers i need...from a driver agent report
ALi M5229 PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
PCI Simple Communications Controller
CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device

thanks.oz.

#3 oz_herb

oz_herb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2006 - 12:19 AM

ok i have found ALi M5229 PCI Bus Master IDE Controller

and SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter and they have both loaded and shown on driver agent to have worked but i have also found CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device and downloaded it but cant work out how to install it......any help to find the others would be a huge help.thanks.oz.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 26 August 2006 - 04:22 AM

If you can tell us the make, model and serial number of your computer we can probably help you.

Or if this was a custom built computer, tell us the make and model of the motherboard.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 oz_herb

oz_herb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 07:13 AM

is this at all what u need?
Motherboard ID 62-1026-001437-00101111-071595-A631A543$M754LMR_RELEASE 10/26/2000 S

Motherboard Name PCChips M754LMR

i also so loaded CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device to my pc but on driveragent.com it still says i need to download a better version? oz.

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:42 AM

Click HERE to download drivers for the PC Chips M754L motherboard. I am not positive that this is exactly the same motherboard that you own. Perhaps you should download the manual for this motherboard first and see if it is the same. The link for the manual is on the same page.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#7 oz_herb

oz_herb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 11:25 PM

you know what albert......i think youve done it!!!! that was so easy as i thought it would be...

would it at all be possible to get some help with the start up time....it is so so slow i guess it possble to stop somthings from running...since i put xp on the other day it has been like this ...i have added a few things but they havnt made it any slower.

is it also possible to check somehow that my system is running smoother since after downloading those drivers? the driveragent scan says out of the 4 probs i had with the drivers that i stll had 2 yellow question marks
PCI Simple Communications Controller
CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device
it is very possible i havnt loaded them properly.thank you for your time albert =] .oz.

Edited by oz_herb, 27 August 2006 - 11:27 PM.

#8 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:03 AM

PCI Simple Communications Controller = Modem Driver
CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device = Audio Driver

Those are both available on the page I linked to earlier in this thread. Like I said, however, they may not be the correct drivers. I think it would be wise to contact the manufacturer of the motherboard to ask what drivers you need.

It is also possible that some devices were added to your computer since it was new? If that was the case then you need to find the proper drivers for these devices by going to the manufacturers web sites. You can find out pretty much anything you need to know regarding the hardware in your computer by running a program called Everest. You can download Everest HERE.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#9 oz_herb

oz_herb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 03:12 AM

ok albert i hope your still out there....just after we last talked i didnt use this pc again until just the other day and had to ring up windows to avtivate the copy of xp i put on there all was running fine and i switched the pc off...and it was late and i guess unles it was the avtivation of xp but i may have done somting to take me back to square one but worse i cant even get to a normal looking screen at all....just lines....not safe mode nothing....

so how would i go about fixing it....now its this bad b4 i could take your advice and get the exact drivers? is it time to take it to a " pro " to fix?
thanks for the help.oz.

ok albert i hope your still out there....just after we last talked i didnt use this pc again until just the other day and had to ring up windows to avtivate the copy of xp i put on there all was running fine and i switched the pc off...and it was late and i guess unles it was the avtivation of xp but i may have done somting to take me back to square one but worse i cant even get to a normal looking screen at all....just lines....not safe mode nothing....

so how would i go about fixing it....now its this bad b4 i could take your advice and get the exact drivers? is it time to take it to a " pro " to fix?
thanks for the help.oz.

#10 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 11:40 AM

Well, without sitting in front of your computer, or knowing the history of this issue, I can only guess. And right now my guess would be that you have a hardware problem of some kind. The reason I think so, is because if it was running well, and the only thing you did was shut it down and turn it back on, then it can't be too many things. Activation did not make this change to your computer.

I really don't know what to tell you at this point.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#11 oz_herb

oz_herb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2007 - 01:47 AM

hey albert....thanks for the reply....well i just got back on line ....and with this problematic pc l even ol....i just switched it on the other day and it works????? thou there is still the prob of it crashing still.i'll go throu trying to redownload the drivers for i think they arnt the right ones .when i go throu that again and if i find i still have a problem i hope i can call on your wizdom.thanks ahain.oz.

#12 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2007 - 09:17 AM

I have always frowned on the report DriverAgent or any similar programs gives regarding your drivers are out of date. If the computer's hardware devices were functioning porperly there is usually no need to update the drivers. My 5 year old system is running perfectly fine even though Driver Agent says I need to update.

This also goes for Windows Update's hardware drivers. They should never be downloaded.

If it isn't broke, it doesn't need fixing.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#13 ktreffin

ktreffin

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2007 - 03:52 PM

Could this be a PSU issue? I would think that a failing PSU might cause some of the problems that the OP is experiencing.....Just a thought?
Proud Graduate of Malware Removal University
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 oz_herb

oz_herb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2007 - 08:50 PM

psu = powere supply yea? well if i put anouther hard drive i have in that running windows 98 the pc wont crash with lines on it....but that hd has its own probs with some files missing i think and isnt really usable like it is .....and is exactly the same hd that in there now .so i would assume its not the psu if it runs 24/7 with anouther hd.

i noticed thou that when it crashed(may be wrong use of words?) while dialing up that the lines were on the screen as usal but it keeped dialing up still ?????? so the screen stuffs up(have changed monitors aswell so thats not the prob) but the rest is still working? thanks for the help guys .oz.

#15 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 12:39 AM

I always use DriverGuide.com. they can get any driver with the FCC number or any number in it. They haven't disapoint me till now.

Hope it helps.

Mav

Edited by ^MavericK!, 01 March 2007 - 12:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users