Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Win 10 on HD, while external, so it boot/installs when internal

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 govtdog

govtdog

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 08:02 PM

I have a rather strange situation....

Have a two year old laptop which for some reason 2 years ago I added a so called bios password. Unfortunately, since I was using this laptop at the time for work, I restricted the boot options to the hard drive.

Two years have passed and the HD crashed. I bought a new 1TB HD and installed it but of course, it has no OS on it and therefore the laptop won't boot.

The laptop is setup so that it will only boot from the Hard Drive and I have no idea what the never used admin PW is so I cannot change the boot options.

How can I install Win 10(or Win 10 ISO Install files) on the hard drive while it is not in the laptop so that when I install it in the laptop it will either boot Win 10 or install Win 10.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 08:20 PM

You can't as the hardware drivers from the computer you are installing Windows 10 to would not be compatible with the laptop.

You have a number of options. Call the maker of the laptop and provide proof of purchase so they may give you an master password.

Do a google search on resetting the BIOS password on your computer make and model number

Try clearing the password per this BC tutorial but there is a chance you could brick the computer.

#3 govtdog

govtdog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 08:27 PM

Thanks for the help!

I already contacted the maker of the laptop and they gave me a master code which is supposed to override the admin PW but it doesn't work. I tried it about 60 times with all onvolutions of shift key and caps on and off and everything including spelling the 9 as nine and then called them back and they verified that the PW they gave me is correct........

I have all the drivers and a Win 10 ISO on a USB stick but of course I can't boot from it......

So, I am at the point where unless I can install WIN 10 on the HD while external and then put it back into the laptop  and it boots... I will probably be just stripping the components and selling them on craigslist while tossing the shell in the dumpster.

I'll take a look at the BC tutorial to see is that is gonna work.... as it is now, this laptop is already a brick.

Thanks again,

John

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 08:31 PM

Does the computer throw a code after three attempts or does it shut down?

#5 govtdog

govtdog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 08:34 PM

It throws a code and service tag which is what I gave to the laptop maker when I called them.

Then it reboots and tries to fix itself after which I am back to trying to reset the bio boot options.

#6 govtdog

govtdog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 08:40 PM

Maker is Dell.

Model Inspiron 5448

Master PW given: CA9DAB39

Thrown code: long so let me know if you need this.....

I also have the service tag but I've been told I shouldn't post that online...?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 08:52 PM

I can only advise you to try the BC tutorial or do a google search for BIOS Password Recovery. Do not use the utility called cmospwd as this will brick a modern computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users