Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MBR corrupt - malware or HW issue?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ajg617

ajg617

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 07:48 PM

Homebuilt desktop - Windows 7 64bit Ultimate, Asus Sabretooth Z77, Samsung EVO 850, 1TB, WD Blue 1TB,  Seagate 1TB . Last time I used the machine it worked perfectly.  Added the EVO about a year ago and used Acronis to clone the WD onto the EVO.  Created a Macrium rescue disc and a Win 7 recovery disc.  Re-imaged the WD to use for video editing an digitization for music. Cloned the Seagate from the EVO as it was the oldest drive and most likely to fail - just kept for emergency boot if necessary.  Booted the machine from both drives (all others disconnected) and each came up fine.  Been using it for a year like this with no problems. Had been turned off for two weeks due to travel.

First clue when I pushed the power button today - nothing happened.  Unplugged the AC for 30 seconds, plugged it back in and boot sequence started but went right to setup screen (low CPU fan speed but it was about 65 degrees in the room).  We did have a power loss for about 2 hours during that time period.  Everything recognized, pressed F10, save and immediately received the prompt to repair windows.  Macrium, Win 7 recovery, and original MS install disc all say recovery succeeded but after each boot, no OS found.  Re-boot to command prompt with recovery disc and bootrec /scanos shows no OS.  Same story with the Seagate.

Any tools for MBR malware detection available?

Thanks,

AJG

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 26 November 2016 - 01:39 AM

Could be the MBR and you can rebuild that , but have you tried the Seagate Drive that you cloned from the EVO ?

It may be the EVO Drive , But try the Seagate first , if it Boots then start looking at the  EVO for issues.

#3 ajg617

ajg617
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 12:36 PM

Seagate won't boot either - same symptoms.  I've tried re-building the MBR on both drives separately using the Win rescue disc but get the same results.  On both drives (only one connected at a time), if I select repair start-up problems on the win rescue disc the system reboots with a message that start-up problems can not be repaired.  In the command prompt on both drives, I can read the drives just fine and the Win 7 OS is recognized.  When I opt to continue to boot Win 7, I get "re-boot and select proper boot device or insert media...".  I get the same message with only the EVO or Seagate connected, one at a time.

#4 ajg617

ajg617
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 01:03 PM

Interestingly, booting into Linux (Gparted), each drive shows 3 partitions but they are not in the same order. On the EVO, the first is 128MB of unknown type but flagged as Msftres, the second is 100MB FAT32 flagged as boot and the balance is NTFS. On the Seagate, the first two are reversed in order boot first, msftres second. Neither drive will boot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users