Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My ISP is blocking me from using another router using PNP!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lucifeer

lucifeer

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 07:06 PM

my ISP is blocking me from using another router using PNP (Plug & play) feature which is pretty annoying which from what they say it is a new technology ( crap ) .I want to use my Asus RT AC-5300 instead of the ISP router but they are forcing me to use their useless DLink DIR 850L and isnt that good. any suggesting on how to adjust my new router instead of theirs ( not as an access point ). i do get internet but it shows me a yellow sign.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 07:28 PM

Does your ISP's 'Terms Of Service' allow for privately owned hardware beyond the point of entry of service? If not then not much you can do without incurring the wrath of the ISP. If you are allowed to provide your own hardware you may be required to register the MAC address with the ISP.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 08:59 PM

Who is your ISP?

Also, are you sure you mean PNP? Maybe UPnP or Universal Plug and Play?

My guess it they don't allow bridging of the ISP gateway. If they allow retail modems, they you can buy your own stand alone modem, which will work with the router. If you already have a modem (not gateway) and your ISP is stopping you from changing your router, you might be able to use MAC cloning to have your new router "look" like your old router. See here for instructions how.

#4 lucifeer

lucifeer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 07:51 AM

Who is your ISP?

Also, are you sure you mean PNP? Maybe UPnP or Universal Plug and Play?

My guess it they don't allow bridging of the ISP gateway. If they allow retail modems, they you can buy your own stand alone modem, which will work with the router. If you already have a modem (not gateway) and your ISP is stopping you from changing your router, you might be able to use MAC cloning to have your new router "look" like your old router. See here for instructions how.

my ISP is Etisalat in UAE they claim is that they can help you with any issue 24/7 using PNP

PNP and UPNP i guess they are the same but the UPNP i can disabled on my router but nothing happen when i do that

and btw the MAC clone on my router is 00000000000 , i dont think it should be like that ,

#5 lucifeer

lucifeer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 07:53 AM

Does your ISP's 'Terms Of Service' allow for privately owned hardware beyond the point of entry of service? If not then not much you can do without incurring the wrath of the ISP. If you are allowed to provide your own hardware you may be required to register the MAC address with the ISP.

i will try the MAC cloning but the MAC clone on my case is 0000000000 i dont think it should be like that

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 09:00 AM

Ahh, it uses Wifi. I don't know anything about wifi ISPs. From the look of it though they don't like users using their own routers. 

Edited by Trikein, 26 November 2016 - 10:26 AM.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 09:44 AM

[moot, re-read the opening]

Edited by RolandJS, 26 November 2016 - 09:45 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 26 November 2016 - 11:12 AM

Cloning the mac address of your workstation won't make any difference in your case.  If you were to substitute your router for theirs you would need to use the Dlinks wan mac address not your workstations.

The Dlink is not a modem router combo unit.  You should be able to replace it by connecting your ASUS router to their modem after you have manually inputting the dlinks mac address.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users