Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Mint 18...kernel updates etc

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 07:05 PM

I just wrote in THIS topic that I have had my update policy set to "dont break my pc"......(click on menu...type in 'update'...select update manager.....Edit......Update policy......mine is still set to "Don't Break My Computer.  I have never bothered to change it. The stability is awesome.)

I have just changed my choice to "Optimize Stability and Security"

As a result, 3 updates immediately popped up

1)..... dbus....D-Bus is a message bus, used for sending messages between applications. Conceptually, it fits somewhere in between raw sockets and CORBA in terms of complexity.
D-bus supports broadcast messages, asynchronous messages (thus decreasing latency), authentication, and more. It is designed to be low-overhead; messages are sent using a binary protocol, not using XML. D-Bus also supports a method call mapping for its messages, but it is not required; this makes using the system quite simple.
It comes with several bindings, including glib, python, qt and java.
This package contains the d-bus daemon and related utilities.
The client-side library can be found in the libdbus-1-3 package, as it is no longer contained in this package.
This update contains 4 packages:  dbus dbus-x11 libdbus-1-3 libdbus-1-3:i386

2)....Linux kernel headers for development....This package provides headers from the Linux kernel. These headers are used by the installed headers for GNU glibc and other system libraries. They are NOT meant to be used to build third-party modules for your kernel. Use linux-headers-* packages for that.
This update contains 1 package:  linux-libc-dev

3)...The Linux Kernel.....The Linux Kernel is responsible for hardware and drivers support. Note that this update will not remove your existing kernel. You will still be able to boot with the current kernel by choosing the advanced options in your boot menu. Please be cautious though.. kernel regressions can affect your ability to connect to the Internet or to log in graphically. DKMS modules are compiled for the most recent kernels installed on your computer. If you are using proprietary drivers and you want to use an older kernel, you will need to remove the new one first.
This update contains 4 packages:  linux-headers-4.4.0-47 linux-headers-4.4.0-47-generic linux-image-4.4.0-47-generic linux-image-extra-4.4.0-47-generic

Stable ?

Necessary?

Must have this immediately?

Leave it alone Brian...all ok as it is....

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,241 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 07:40 PM

Leave it alone Brian...all ok as it is....

I play Kernel swapsies all the time without a problem, If the new kernel don't work its easy to go back to the old one,

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,051 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 08:13 PM

Indeed, and its good mint gives you the option to do this.

I hate forced kernel updates, it leads to nothing but trouble.

But it does make things a little less secure in mint so there is that.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,937 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 08:13 PM

.....and if a 'new kernel' doesnt play nicely (i have no idea what that might entail).......you open update manager, View, Linux Kernels, read the Warning!, ....continue....and then "pick a kernel"

have you had any instances of not being able to boot after experiencing a kernel not working properly ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,241 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 09:11 PM

.....and if a 'new kernel' doesnt play nicely (i have no idea what that might entail).......you open update manager, View, Linux Kernels, read the Warning!, ....continue....and then "pick a kernel"

have you had any instances of not being able to boot after experiencing a kernel not working properly ?

No, Just select the old kernel at boot up.

Image not my work.

Ubuntu+12.10+GRUB+Advanced+Options.png

Edited by NickAu, 25 November 2016 - 09:14 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users