Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

October & November roll-ups

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 05:57 PM

Speccy :- http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Ayrmmu2U558bsLd7sus8stF

I have been trying since the October patch Tuesday to install these updates and failing miserably.

I have followed the advice on the Krelay website and my system has no problem in finding updates nor in installing them until it comes to the 'restart' part. It them goes to about 90% then comes up with an error message 'Windows update failed, reverting changes'. It then re-boots and tries again, to come up with the same message at which point it proceeds to boot normally but withour installing the update.

I have downloaded the updates directly from MS and tried updating manually and it makes no difference - same error message, same result. To say I am getting fed up with this is putting it mildly.

Thinking there might be some hardware or system fault I have run the Seagate short test on all my four drives, all passed, and the long test on my C:\ drive, passed. SFC shows no errors and chkdsk /r concluded with no significant errors.

The only possible complication is that this computer dual boots, I have Mint 18 installed on one of the drives.

Any ideas ?

Chris Cosgrove

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 06:19 PM

Hi, Chris :).

What I have decided...is to permanently disable the Windows Update function in Win 7.  It's not needed now that MS does these rollups...and the WU mechanism is the big stumbling block when it comes to installing the rollups.

What I do:

1.  Go to Windows Update, select "Never install.  Not sure this is necessary but I do it anyway as a precursor to the next step.  Edit:  It is necessary.

2.  Go to Services...scroll down to Windows Update, stop the service, then disable it.  Edit:  Not necessary to disable, but must stop service.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3197868

3.  Go to the Microsoft Catalog, search "Nov 2016 Security Only Rollup" or "Nov 2016 Security Monthly Rollup".  The "security only" reflects only critical updates, while the "security monthly" may include other elements (as described in MS link above).  I download each to my Download folder and then I install one or the other (no need to install both).  Each will install quickly and with ease.  You can check to see that they really are installed by just going back to the WU site and looking at "installed updates" and do not pay attention to whether they are reflected as "updates" on the main WU page.

That's it :).

If you want to then re-enable the Windows Update service and function in Win 7...that's up to you.  If you see that it's going into that loop again, you know how to disable it and break the loop.  Edit:  Stopping the service after having employed the "Never install" option at Windows Update...should be sufficient.  Disabling the service prevents any installation from the standalone installers used by the rollups, IME.

For more pertinent info, see Computer #2, Win 7, 64-bit

Scroll down to the section for Computer #2, Win 7, 64-bit.

The updates he mentions including go beyond what I have bothered with thus far, but that is what I would suggest to anyone less than experienced users like us :).

I think we may have found the stake to kill this demon :).

Louis

Edit:  If you download and attempt to install anything that does not apply to your Windows version...you will be informed of such onscreen.  That means that a wrong item or selection of an item already installed...cannot paralyze your system

Chris, my apologies for not reading your entire post before responding...but a similar thing happened to me yesterday when I was trying to install a version of MS.NET...I have no explanation for it but mine cleared up and the install was completed, probably after a reboot.  Check the "installed updates" and see if it has reversed itself and is now installed properly.

Edited by hamluis, 26 November 2016 - 11:49 AM.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,211 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 04:35 PM

Hi Louis,

It turns out that the September update, as listed in your 'Computer 2' link, was the key. As far as I knew, I had all the September updates but this one seems to have fallen through the cracks. After a few false starts once I had this one in place the rest worked.

This was driving me nuts and further and further away from the arms of Redmond. This is the most grief I have ever had with updates of any sort, and this is supposed to be 'automatic' ?  Never mind, sixteen days peace and quiet until the next 'Patch Tuesday'. Roll on !

Chris Cosgrove

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 26 November 2016 - 05:33 PM

Glad you resolved it :).

I think that Microsoft knows that there is a real problem with its Win 7 Windows Update mechanism...and just does not know how to fix it.  Hence, a new way of getting critical updates, rather than invest manpower on the Win 7 O/S...manpower they obviously need for Win 10 support/problems.

Louis

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,211 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 11:30 AM

Just to add to this topic.

Having suffered the pain and aggro of the October and November updates it seems to have worked. I have just done the December updates on 3 Win 7 computers and one on 8.1 all comfortably inside one day !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users