Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 stuck in startup loop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Juliasdream

Juliasdream

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 04:53 PM

My win 10 starts and remains with a black screen with logo

Restarting set it to diagnostics which resulted in Automatic Repair

Restart gets the black screen again

Advance options> Trouble shoot> reset PC> Keep my files>Resetting this pc> goes on to 40%> Undoing changes then back to "Reset this PC. there were problems resetting your PC. No changes were made

System Restore: No Restore points

Startup settings> Restart>  Enable safe mode>4 > back to black screen + logo

Restart

I cant do system restore

I cant get safe mode

I tries Command prompt as admin and chkdsk > No problems found

I'm running out of ideas/options. can anyone help? I would like to save personal data before any full install

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 05:55 PM

For recovering data I recommend using Fatdog64 which can boot with SecureBoot enabled. Download the Fatdog64 iso and burn it to a CD by right clicking on a Windows 7 or later computer and selecting Burn Disk Image. If a CD is not available a blank USB flash drive with Rufus can be used. After recovering your data to an external drive you can do a clean install of Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool. There may be an issue with Fatdog recovering files as Windows 10 has a kind of hybrid shutdown. You should be able to access the partitions as read only and still recover your data.

Rufus

Fatdog64   Fatdog64-702.iso

Windows 10 Media Creation Tool

Rufus Instructions:

Run Rufus with the USB flash drive attached. Select MBR partition scheme for BIOS and UEFI. Leave all boxes as checked. Where FreeDos is shown in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon, and browse to the Fatdog iso file. Press Start. Any data on the flash drive will need to be backed up as the drive will be formatted.

Fatdog copy instructions;

Boot Fatdog to the desktop. In the lower left of the desktop you will see your partitions listed as sda1...sda2...sda3...etc. On an upgraded computer from 7 or 8 you will see quite a few. Normally your Windows partition will be on sda3 but it may be different in your case. Click once on the partition icon. The partition should mount and a File Manager Window will open. If you do not see your files/folders then close the Window and click on another sdaX icon. Once you find your correct partition attach your external USB drive. A USB icon will appear on the desktop. Click once on it and another File Manager Window will open. You can resize and move the two windows until they are side by side by left clicking and dragging the corner and title bar similar to Windows. Once you have both windows side by side highlight the data you want to copy by pressing Ctrl and left clicking or left clicking and dragging a window around your files/folders. You only need to click once to open a folder in Fatdog. Once you have your files/folders highlighted drag them from the sdaX window to the USB flash drive window. A small dialog window will open. Select Copy and check the quiet box. Don't forget your browser bookmarks or email if using a client. Once all your files are copied exit out of Fatdog. You may want to open a few to see if the copy was successful

#3 Juliasdream

Juliasdream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 11:32 AM

Hi.

I've managed to backup all important data and  I'd like to reinstall windows 10

Since I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 I don't have the win 10 product key

I imagine if I did a factory reset I'd find myself back with win 7 and be expected to pay for the upgrade

Is there a way to obtain the product key without being in win 10 but while it's still on the HDD? maybe through the command prompt

I don't want to end up paying for an upgrade that I already have

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 11:40 AM

Because Windows 10 is already activated on Microsoft's servers you do not need a key. Microsoft uses your Hardware ID for activation. Once online Windows 10 will show itself as activated. You do not need to install Windows 7 first and then upgrade. Just do a clean install of Windows 10. You will not have to pay for an upgrade.

See this guide on doing a clean install of Windows 8. The same steps are good for 10.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-8-or-8-1-2626254

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 November 2016 - 11:44 AM.

#5 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 26 November 2016 - 07:09 PM

As John says please do a clean install of Windows 10 it will run much smoother than another upgrade from 7>10. I had a hard time trying to convince a fellow techie friend of mine of that idea but he finally got it and now has zero issues. Here is another W10 install guide without a key that is a little less wordy than the one posted above and gets directly to the point. Basically in a nutshell you merely act like you don't have a key and it will go through the process and once you are online will register just fine because your hardware ID is already registered with Microsoft from your previous 7>10 in-place upgrade.

#6 Juliasdream

Juliasdream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2016 - 05:31 AM

Thank you all for the help so far

One more question

Since I am locked out of win 10 I have no way of knowing which version I have. 32 bit or 64 bit

Is there any way of finding out through command prompt or even with the HDD removed and viewing files through another system

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2016 - 10:51 AM

If this is a modern computer then I would go with 64bit even if you had 32bit before. It would be very rare for you to have 32bit. You can verify which version you had by booting Fatdog and looking for SysWOW64 folder in the Windows directory. If you do not find it then you have 32bit. 

If you previously had 32bit and you do move to 64bit you would need to find any 64bit drivers for your devices such as printers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users