Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant connect to certain websites

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 noron596

noron596

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 03:41 PM

Hello

So after I had uninstalled my free version of avast I can no longer access some websites, such as microsoft.com, avast.com, or even this one. Some sites work normally(youtube, facebook), some are displayed in text only(mozilla.org). No matter what I try I can't get anything to work. So far I've:

Uninstalled the antivirus normally, used the avast uninstall tool, reset my firewall rules, reset my dns settings via command prompt, fiddled around avast av settings, tried using different browsers... I'm sure I've done more than this but nothing works and I'm clueless at this point. So if any of you have an idea what might the issue be, please tell me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 04:16 PM

Hello there, welcome to Bleeping Computer. Hope you learn a lot here.

This fix will be a bit aggressive, but it appears you may have the Avast NDIS Firewall Driver still installed, something that needs manually deleted, as it appears some users still have trouble after using the Avast Uninstall Utility (Avast Clear)... therefore, please Create a System Restore Point.

After that, manually delete the following folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Avast Software or C:\Program Files (x86)\Alwil Software

• C:\ProgramData\Avast Software or C:\ProgramData\Alwil Software

Next, uninstall the Firewall Driver:

1. In File Explorer, right-click the Network icon on the left pane, and select Properties from the context menu to open Network and Sharing Center.

2. In Network and Sharing Center, click Change adapter settings in the left pane to open Network connections.

3. In Network connections, right-click one of your connection icons (for example, Local Area Connection) and select Properties from the context menu.

4. Find and uninstall Avast NDIS Firewall Driver (or Avast Firewall Driver)

Reboot your computer and start Windows in Safe Mode by following the instructions on the Microsoft website:

In Windows safe mode, search and delete all files starting with aswNdis*.* if any exist in the following folder and its subfolders:

• C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore

After that, reboot back into Normal Mode and see if the problem is resolved. :)

(Article Source of Info)

Edited by Kakuzu, 25 November 2016 - 04:18 PM.

#3 noron596

noron596
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 26 November 2016 - 03:42 AM

Thanks for the reply, but the fix youve suggested did not resolve my issue. I couldn't find the Avast NDIS Firewall Driver in the Local Area Connection properties nor could I locate the files starting with aswNdis in the DriverStore folder. I've already tried deleting all Avast data in C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\(username)\AppData and that did not work either way.

#4 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 01:59 PM

A basic IP/firewall reset is in order...

Please open Notepad (press the search button and type notepad in the search box, or open Start and type Notepad in the search box)

Next copy and paste the text inside the code box below into notepad:

@echo off
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
netsh advfirewall reset
netsh advfirewall set allprofiles state ON
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
netsh int ipv4 reset
netsh int ipv6 reset
netsh winsock reset >> "%userprofile%\desktop\reset.txt"
echo You now have to reboot your PC!
echo Please do so after this exits.
pause
exit
  • Name the file as ipfix.bat, making sure save as type is set to " All Files ".
  • Right click on ipfix.bat & Run as Administrator <-- This step is very IMPORTANT.
  • Reboot your computer.
  • Post the reset.txt log (on your desktop) for my review.

Edited by Kakuzu, 26 November 2016 - 02:00 PM.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 28 November 2016 - 02:52 PM

... I've already tried deleting all Avast data in C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\(username)\AppData and that did not work either way.

I've used Avast in the past for some years!  Are you posting those directories still exist, or, that you deleted them but the deletions did not solve the problem?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 03:18 AM

@noron596,

Do you have any updates on whether this reset worked for you? We value solutions well on this forum and would love to know if this is resolved or needs continue service/closer look. :)

#7 VB30

VB30

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 29 November 2016 - 07:11 AM

@noron596

Uninstalled the antivirus normally, used the avast uninstall tool, reset my firewall rules, reset my dns settings via command prompt, fiddled around avast av settings, tried using different browsers... I'm sure I've done more than this but nothing works and I'm clueless at this point. So if any of you have an idea what might the issue be, please tell me.

Are you able to download this tool ?

If so please "Copy and Paste the Log"

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-service-scanner/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users