Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

D Drive missing, sort of Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 curiouslemon

curiouslemon

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 03:01 PM

I hope I am typing this in the right place. If not, sorry and feel free to redirect me.  I ave a Toshiba Satellite C55D-B5319 with Windows 8.1 platform, which I have been told makes the Windows 8.1 different than it would be on other laptops.  I don't know if that' s true or why it would be, but, that is what I've been told as I've searched around for answers to certain issues. 

Now, on to the D Drive issue.  This is how it happened: 

I was in the midst of doing some digital artwork on Corel Photo-Paint 9, had gotten to the point of saving a piece onto a rewrite disc, which I had formatted and had been using just fine for about a week. I have had no previous problems with the D drive, Corel or the disc. Nor was I having any glitches of any sort prior to this event.

I was also looking up images, for inspiration, and I went onto a certain site which I will not say the name of, since I saw the notice of some other site suing Bleeping Computers just for negative words. I attempted to download a stock image. Now, I had downloaded many stock images from their free section before, with no problems. But, when I tried to download this one, it froze up my computer for a wee tick, then just disappeared - the tab that was open on the browser, the history of it, the downloading window and anything else where I might be able to find a trace of it. At that point, I got an error on Corel Photo-Paint , saying that it could not download my artwork and had to be shut down. So, I could not save that piece and I had to restart the computer as nothing was working right, so, since it hadn't been saved yet, it was just gone. 

Ever since then, I have not been able to access my D Drive at all. Sometimes, it will show that it is there when I put a disk in. But, when I try to click on where it says D Drive to get it to play, it tells me it doesn't exist. It did show when I went to look for it in Hardware and Devices, and, in fact, it says it is working perfectly. 

I read about many person's experience with their D Drive disappearing. It used to happen to me all the time on Windows XP and there were things that could be done fairly easy, which did not amount to fully restoring to factory but were resetting things. I did the equivalent of them, as was prescribed by various sites, and nothing worked. I replaced the drivers as a few people said they had to do. I even fully deleted things. In fact, I tried everything possible that could be tried that was found by Googling information on a missing D drive, except replacing the actual physical  D Drive. 

Finally, I signed up at Tom's Hardware, where, eventually, I got this in reply: 
Sounds like you have major issues, possibly a virus.. Buy and install a top tier AV suite ( Kapersky, Bitdefender, Norton Internet Security, Trend Micro) and run a full scan.

If that doesn't turn up infections, right click on the windows icon and go to disk manager. If your second disk doesn't show up there, it might just be dead.

Well, I went to look under disk manager in the manner I was told and it definitely shows it is still there. 

Now, in addition to the D drive disappearing - after this happened, - I started getting weird glitches, such as when I would upload a photo to Facebook the screen would shake. This is something that used to happen to me a lot when a certain hacker would be trying to drive me crazy, due to religious differences, years ago. Since she recently started trying to befriend me in real life and I firmly rejected her, I have o assume this is her doing. Also, I send in my work, which I do over the internet, only to find some things have been rewritten. The Windows Defender keeps shutting down. I can't do updates on the computer. I go to save pictures on Corel Photo-Paint to find that half the image doesn't save. Things I post on Facebook also get rewritten This is all familiar territory. 

I have three major problems with this familiar territory. Back when she used to do this to me all the time I had the sort of computers that came with factory reinstall disks,  I was working on a different operating platform which allowed for the use of ComboFix  and Darik's Boot n Nuke - which were the only two things, paid for or not, that ever really helped get rid of the nasty things she would send my way. And, I absolutely cannot afford to buy any of the recommended programs, even if I did believe they would work - which I don't, as I tried them when having these issues before and they always ended up getting infected themselves. But, that R Killer seems to be quite nice and might prevent that, I guess. 

Anyway, I was looking into the possibility of other virus /malware removers that might work. But many of them are for very specific issues and I don't know what sort of virus or malware this even is, much less if there is a specific name for it. 

I know she really favors the Google Redirect virus , but, these issues are not what I had when she was aiming that my way and when I had these issues before I wasn't on Google, not even for doing a search., much less as a Browser or a computer. I mean, not for the first 10 years or so. 

Yeah, she's that persistent. Though, she does take breaks. 

The other thing is, even if I could use ComboFix  or Nuke this beast, or, use another program similar to either, or even if I wanted to do a factory restore or whatever kind of reset, she stole my Corel Photo-Paint 9 disk and I haven't the money to replace it and I do not want to lose it as it is very integral to the possibility of making money. And, since the D Drive doesn't work - which is always part of her damage -I can't do various things toward saving the program that way or making a mirror image of my current hard drive or any of that. Plus, she stole the flash drive stick thingies. 

Don't ask why I don't do anything about her. The police are wonderfully uninvolved, in helpful ways, in the life of many poor persons. All I can do is pray and tire her out by keeping on going. 

I know this is a weird story and all, but, the basic gist of it is that I have a virus or malware, I know that's what it is and it is not needing to replace hardware,  I even got the heads cleaned and yes I tried different disks. And, whatever happened wiped out that entire RW disk so that it is not usable on any computer, too. I just don't know the type or what to do about this whole situation for free, especially not with the possibility of being able to save my Corel program. 

Advice is much needed and will be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 03:08 PM

Hello and welcome:

Thanks for your detailed description of your computer issues.

Just a friendly suggestion: it might help if you could please tell us, in one or two concise sentences, the precise nature of the issue.

That would help us to better help you -- those with the expertise to assist would be able to ascertain more efficiently whether or not the problem is something within their purview.

Sometimes "a bit less is a bit more", unless/until additional detail is requested/needed. :)

Cheers,

MM

#3 curiouslemon

curiouslemon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 03:15 PM

Sorry.  I've just been trying to solve this problem for months and have gone through the same questions/advice so much it's driving me absolutely buggy. So, I thought telling what I have tried and why might save some time. But, I'll try to figure out how to boil it down to a few sentences. 

Well, I will, eventually.

#4 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 03:59 PM

Hello there,

Did you mention that you do currently have a virus/malware? Or not?

Is the only issue associated with the D Drive Missing?

#5 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 02:55 AM

Do you still need help with this? Or have you figured it out?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:49 AM

MoxieMomma is quite right.  There is so much text in your first post it is difficult to actually separate the information regarding the actual from unnecessary dialogue.  Please just post in a very few words what the problem/s are.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

The one piece of information the Speccy will not provide is the make and model of your PSU.  If you know what it is please post this along with the Speccy link which will be generated.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download MiniToolBox to your desktop.

Right-click on MiniToolBox.exe and select Run as Administrator.

You will see an image like the one below.

minitoolbox_zps7byuwkla.png

Click on the following checkboxes only:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, then copy and paste it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users