Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The great tech support battle

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 09 December 2004 - 02:04 PM

Grab a drink, maybe a sammich or a snack and kick back.

Feb 2004
internet access goes down. i'll wait a while...probably a glitch in the Matrix.
next day,still no access.
call tech support."We're sorry for the inconvenience Mr. raw,we are upgrading our system to bring you better service."
5 days later access returns.
Don't start clapping yet. internet access is sporadiac at best. connection continues to drop in and out.3-4 minutes at best. after another week, call tech support. "Mr. raw, we're sending a technician out to your location" Great!,he'll get this resolved.
Technician says "Oh,you have one of our old modems...let me give you a new one". Finally someone found the problem. next day connection starts dropping out again. call tech support. "Mr. raw,we're sending the technician to verify the lines" (why didnt he do that the last time he was here?)
Technician - "Mr. raw, the problem must be a bad cable in the house"
Mr. raw - "The house is brand new,all the cabling to the network closet is brand new quad shield,properly terminated and tested"
Technician - "Well then it must be down the street" (ok, go find it)
Technician returns hours later - "Mr. raw, we found a bad termination up the street...everything looks good"
Indeed my access had returned. life is good again.

Oct 2004
ISP changes subnets and changes my IP address. now none of my clients can reach their web sites. access becomes sporadiac again.
call tech support.
TS - "Mr. raw, the modem is responding fine..problem must be on your end. lets try this. at your computer press Start..."
Mr. raw - "I dont have a start button.I dont use Windows"
TS - "How do you get online?"
Mr. raw - (omg i got the trainee) " I use Linux"
TS - "I'm sorry we don't support that"
Mr. raw - "Please reset my modem"
TS - "Thats not the problem, sir" (sir??)
Mr. raw - "Humor me and reset the modem, if thats not the problem what have you lost?"
TS - resets modem...connection works great.

Dec 8 2004
web pages loading slow, access dropping out. does anyone see a pattern here?
call tech support.
Mr. raw - "my connection keeps dropping out and web pages are loading slow"
TS - "Mr. raw, it sounds like you have a virus or spyware. Please do this. goto download.com and download ad-aware...."
Mr. raw - " Its not spyware or a virus"
TS - "How can you be sure,have you scanned your system?'"
Mr. raw - "I use Linux"
TS - "Oh we don't support that"
Mr. raw - "I know but my computer and network are working fine"
TS - "you need level 2 support" (hmmm another level of support)
L2TS - "Hi Mr. raw,says your having problems"
Mr. raw - "yes..connection keeps dropping out"
L2TS - "Looks like the circuit is pretty full right now,thats why its slower then normal.Just give it a while for people to get offline"
Mr. raw - (its the middle of the day...why arent these people at work?) "OK i will wait for it to clear up"

Later that same day
same problem...now i'm angry. bandwidth has dropped to 120-170 on a 1Mb line.
call tech support (but Mr. raw is prepared now)
Mr. raw - "Same problem as earlier"
TS - "Well you must have a virus or spyware" (do they get a script?)
Mr. raw - "I need level 3 support" (<-what is this you ask)
Well friends,let me explain. It seems that indeed the n00bs do use a script which generally fixes most users problems.I am not most users. level 2 support is the guy/gal who has been answering the phone longer then level 1. Level 3 techs actually know the system (and some of them are Linux users)
Matt - "level 3 support,this is Matt"
Mr. raw " hey Matt, i have a problem"
Matt - "ok raw,(we're friendly like that) says you're using Linux,I use Linux too but we dont support it"
raw - "yes i know,thats how i know the problem is not on my end"
Matt - "well tell me whats going on"
raw - "my connection is dropping in and out.1 minute im getting 820-850kbs and it drops down to 120-130kbs"
Matt - "looks like the modem is ok"
raw - "right there it just dropped out,my IM's disconnected and streaming radio stopped"
Matt - "try loading yahoo.com"
raw - "the text came up slow,but the pictures are not loading"
Matt - "hmmm....i'm not seeing anything on this end. which modem do you have?"
raw - "Arris..the tech replaced a Toshiba I had problems with a few months ago"
Matt - "well im not showing any problems with the modem"
raw - " i have a new modem here..can we provision it?"
Matt - "we're not supposed to do that,but lets give it a try" (wo0ho0)
I gave Matt the MAC address,he provisioned the modem and i got an IP.

Speed is blazing now..connection has not dropped out.
By the way,I never received any credit on my bill for the month of Feb when my service was out for almost the entire month.

I'm not totally convinced that this is the end of tech support hell.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 09 December 2004 - 02:11 PM

Maybe they should hire you for their tech support :thumbsup:
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2004 - 02:11 PM

Sounds to me like you had to steer them in the direction they should of gone in the first place. Of course, I'm no expert. BTW Who is your Internet Service Provider? If I may ask

Edited by scarlett, 10 December 2004 - 06:31 AM.

Posted Image

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the &quot;Logic Free Zone&quot;, in Md, USA
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 09 December 2004 - 02:22 PM

Great read - thanks

I'll cry for you a little later on...

At the moment I'm still trying to get my "tin can and a string"
to hold at 26.4kbs and not falll away to 4.6kbs.

:thumbsup:

:flowers:
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#5 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2004 - 03:07 PM

I know allot of you probably aren't from the USA/PA/Pittsburgh Area. but i have kinda the same problem as Raw. i've have Cable INTERNET from Comcast (Comcrap) for a little over a year. I have had a tech to my house 28 times since i got it 9 Modem replacements and one Full house Cable installment (Free: Incompetent Cable installer). if i have One more Problem in 2 months i'm looking to have a different High Speed ISP. does anyone know of any that are under 50 a Month, and has a good speed/uptime? if i try Dial-up that "Tin cans and a string" wouldn't be far from the truth. I would connect at on a GREAT Day 1400 Baud Rate.
Edit: I forgot to mention been with out Internet access since Nov 29th

This is a Post i made on another site which i'll edit of the improper wording:

-Start- Posted on December 8th
COLOR ME RED!!!

Comcast can BURN IN HELL I get home yesterday thinking SWEET I can get on-line and Play EQ once again!! Well Comcast had a different thought process.

First off they say Monday that they’ll be there. Tuesday about 2:30PM they finally show up my mom lets the guy in. hes there working about an hour tells my mom hes going out to his truck to see something. my mom just waits there for him the Guy NEVER came back!!!

SO I call up Comcast after about 45 Minutes being on hold for someone to pick up I start (Insert Bad Word Here) the (Insert Bad Word Here) (Insert Bad Word Here) HUNG UP on me!!!! I call back hour later. I’m finally talking with someone. He said there is no record of me calling for the past week! I told him I called at least 15 times in the past week. They say I’m sorry Ma’am its not in our records (OMG WAS I PISSED!!!!(If Pissed is a bad word on this Forum Sorry)) (mind you he did confirm my name, which as far as I know JOHN is only a guys name!) I told him I wanted to talk with his supervisor he tried telling me he didn’t have a supervisor! At this point I’m soooooo furious! I hang up and call back, I get some female I couldn’t (Insert Bad Word Here) understand. I say I want to speak with a supervisor RIGHT NOW! 20 Mins later I’m finally talking with a supervisor I explain to the guy what has been going on. he looks at my records and finds the last three people I talked too. This guy was so nice he transferred me back to the CS who was telling me he had no supervisor, and no records of my calls. (which all of a sudden appeared WOW Magic) While the supervisor was on the phone the CS started yelling at me, the supervisor then interrupted the Call and started yelling at the CS then we disconnected from the CS. (the one who hung up on me was no longer there so nothing was done with her) The supervisor then helped me he told me that it was on record that the tech who was at my house called in to say the whole house needed rewiring and an amplifier added to my lines. But the guy didn’t have the Equipment in the Van to do the job so he left. Well I asked the guy how long till this is able to be done. he looks and says Monday again! I kept my cool and asked if there was any way to get it done sooner. he said only way was if someone calls to cancel. B4 we hung up the guy said that he will keep checking to see if someone cancels and call to confirm with me.

Later last night about 10:30 the guy calls me back, said there has been a cancellation for Late tonight. (Wednesday) but since the Job will not be a 15 minute thing it would have to carry over to first thing the Tech does on Thursday.
-Done-

Just got off Phone with my mom and shes still waiting for the Tech to arrive. 3:05 PM Now
*sigh*
Only good thing is unlike Raw i'm getting 2 Months Free credit.

P.S. i have a bad habit of Killing Post donno why i just do.

Edited by LoLucky, 09 December 2004 - 03:09 PM.

#6 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2004 - 05:04 PM

I have come to find out that Comcrap hires sub-contractors to do the dirty work.The big requirement for the installers at these sub-contractors is that they own a white vehicle. Thats all...no experience, no common sense. Pass the drug test and show up with your white truck.

scarlett - my ISP is Cebridge Communications. I do server admin work for a WiFi ISP locally and unfortunately i'm about 1-2 miles outside the coverage area.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#7 is-it-a-fish

is-it-a-fish

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2004 - 05:10 PM

all i can do is apologize for the majority of the human race were not all automaton cretins that can answer a phone....
words of wisdom

incase you were wondering...

lack of spelling

In these halls of mirrors built by liars i am a pale reflrestion of myself..

"Applying computer technology is simply finding the right wrench to pound in the correct screw." Anonymous

#8 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2004 - 06:35 PM

Reminds me of a pic I posted of aols new tech support did you see it? LOL I get 45.kbs and this laptop being connected by a contraption that I bought now only gets 28.8kbs.

Im ready for dsl and hope to get it soon!

#9 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2004 - 09:17 AM

Yeah if Monkeys could Drive and Learn to answer a phone, Comcast (Comcrap) Employees would be out of the Job. and it might be less annoying to call up tech support and not understand them, because well you know they are just as smart as ooze that is overpaid to not help as they have now.

Why do they even pick up the PHONES!

BTW is now 9:12 AM Friday and still have yet to hear from Comcast (Comcrap) Tech!

Still sorta ticked!

#10 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2004 - 12:38 PM

Many of us have had (insert REALLY bad word here) experiences with help desks, which are more like frustration desks. My ISP provides on-line chat support, which eliminates some of the translation problems associated with oversees outsourcing, and allows you to record the conversation (and date stamp it). Before I leave, I always get a ticket number.
That being said, their advice is often wrong, or generalised in order to catch 80 percent of user problems on the first call (they expect, no doubt, second and third calls). And I guess I live in a decent city, because it requires refunds to consumers if service interruptons are over a certain time limit (actually getting a check is probably a diffferent story, since those (insert bad word) companies are really concerned about how much YOU own them, not about how much they owe YOU. Most ISPs are regulated locally, and should be sent (NO bad words) information and documentation about poor service.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#11 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 10 December 2004 - 12:53 PM

You want to really confuse them, talk to them in binary and inform them it is their job to translate. :thumbsup:
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#12 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2004 - 04:10 PM

Interesing to hear all of these problems, up here in the true north....canucker land we have a couple of major companies that offer high speed and are at a decent price.
never been to a help desk and thus never had to take a number or go on hold. even before when on dial-up, there are so many mid size companies and the competition so great that there were no problems...e.g. modems and the speed was consistent at 54 kbps and the price was $9.95/ mo. for 180 minutes.
and even if i was slightly over there were no extra charges.
i guess i must count myself very fortunate indeed!!!!!!!!
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

#13 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2004 - 04:17 PM

Well 4:17 PM and still they hadn't showed up to my house *sigh*
Yeah JE i should but then i would have to explain how to decode it. LOL and you seen my post i just keep talking the info is in there (Somewhere I think) :trumpet:

Edit: Good Idea jweed I think i'll do just that
BTW Kinda hard to use the Online Tech Support when they are your online carrier =)

Keyboard Error... Press F1 to continue...Beat monitor with keyboard...Damn pressed F2jklhsdfaupiyehjklzxdnm,b

:thumbsup: :inlove: :flowers: :cool:
Yeah i'm odd...Your point?

Edited by LoLucky, 10 December 2004 - 04:21 PM.

#14 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2004 - 08:00 PM

Managing the technical department for an ISP, let me tell you that we get the reverse side of these types of calls sometimes as well.

One that a tech of mine dealt with today:

Client: I cant get to the internet. I have a T1 with you.

Tech: Let me check the line. The line is up, do you have a firewall?

Client: Yes I have a firewall, but its not the problem, it has to be the T1.

Tech: The T1 seems to be working fine. I am on your router right now so that shows the T1 is up. Can you do me a favor and reset the firewall?

Client: Its not the firewall its definitely the T1.

Tech: I can ping our dns servers from your router, so its highly doubtful its the router.

Client: It has to be! (starting to get obnoxious)

Tech: Have you tried resetting your firewall?

Client: No! Its not the firewall..I keep telling you that.

Me: Tell the client to reset his firewall otherwise there is not much more we can do.

Tech: Can you please reset your firewall as a test.

Client: Fine, I will call you back.

hour later

Clients employee: I was told to call you and tell you the internet now works after rebooting the firewall.

arggh...gotta hate those calls.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users