Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen with Dedicated GPU, all fine with integrated

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 donisonleague

donisonleague

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 11:46 AM

So, i've just bought a new PC.

After i assemblated it, i tried to power it on, but just received a black screen.

So i tried to connect the monitor to the integrated graphics output, since i thought that could have been a driver problem.

But this didn't work either.

At this point i tried to remove the GPU (GTX 1060) from the PC and to boot with only the integrated graphics.

The PC works fine. It booted, and i have been able to correctly install windows.

So, here begin the problems.

As i said i thought it was a driver problem at the beginning.

But i discovered that i cannot install nvidia drivers unless a nvidia card is plugged into the pc (so it says).

So it cannot be drivers.

Any idea?

I'm trying to reset the CMOS, i've read that it may works in many cases.

Let me know if this is the correct procedure:

1) Poweroff and unplug the computer

2) Unplug the PSU from the MOBO

3) Short the CLR_CMOS pins with the jumper (my mobo haven't got it) or with a screwdriver (as my mobo manual says), by touching both of them at the same time for 5-10 seconds.

4) Plug everything

5) Boot

Am i getting it right?

Any other ideas?

I'll update to see how it goes.

Forgot to say: I'm using a VGA cable into an VGA to HDMI adapter. I'm connecting to the dedicated GPU via HDMI port. It hasn't got any VGA ports but it has got 2 DVI ports i cannot use at the moment.

I'm connecting to the integrated graphics directly via VGA, without any adapter.

Update: clearing the CMOS didn't work.

I mean: i successfully cleared the CMOS (received the BIOS message), but the screen problem hasn't been solved.

Edited by donisonleague, 25 November 2016 - 12:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 donisonleague

donisonleague
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 11:59 AM

2nd UPDATE:

I've just tried to mount my old GTX 750.

It works.

The only 3 difference at this point are:

The GPU (GTX 750 working, GTX 1060 not working)

The cable: to connect to the GTX 750 i directly used the VGA cable, to connect to the GTX 1060 i have had to use the VGA cable + a VGA to HDMI adapter.

The alimentation: the GTX 750 drain power from the mobo, the GTX 1060 needs a 6 pins connector.

Faulty card? Or HDMI port can be used only with drivers?

3rd UPDATE.

I've installed NVIDIA Geforce Experience and installed drivers, while having the GTX 750 mounted.

Even now, if i try to boot with the GTX 1060 in it, the screen will remain black.

no matter if i switch the VGA cable to the integrated graphics: while the GTX 1060 is plugged in, i cannot get any video output.

- for those wondering: yes i'm plugging the 6 pins connector to the GTX 1060

Edited by donisonleague, 25 November 2016 - 12:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users