Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First Windows Update Taking Forever

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 wdrbbq

wdrbbq

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:11 AM

I received a refurbished Dell laptop the other day from Amazon. When I went to Windows Update, the logo was red and said that Windows Update had never been run. I clicked on Check for Updates 16 hours ago. It's been running the entire time, according to the Task Manager and according to the progress bar on the Update screen, which has been moving left to right the whole time.

However, I'm skeptical that it's actually doing anything. Is there a way to tell for certain that it is indeed checking for updates or simply lying to me, and is there a maximum time on a reinstall that has never run Windows Update before beyond which I should be suspicious that something might be wrong?

It's ok if it takes a lot of time. I just don't want to be sitting here thinking everything is ok when it isn't. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:23 AM

Hi:

Did YOU wipe it and reinstall Windows, or did you receive it from Amazon with Win 7 installed?
It's also not clear from your description if  the refurbished system came with or without SP1 and with any of the subsequent critical/important patches, or even with a valid license?

Assuming that your Windows install is legit and properly activated, there have been serious issues with the WU client under Win7 for several months.
However, there are solutions.

The following worked for me on two Win7 boxes, for several other folks here at bleeping and for MANY folks at sevenforums.com.

There are several MS KBs mentioned in various places over the past year or so, but many of the older ones were superseded.

The short version of the story: for a fresh Windows install, the following 3 KBs, when manually installed via the standalone installer appropriate for your architecture (32-bit or 64-bit), OUGHT to resolve the issue of perpetual "checking for updates" on an otherwise legal, stable system with properly functioning Windows 7:

KB3125574
KB3020369
KB3172605

Let's try this:

1. IF NOT ALREADY DONE: Download and save, but do not run yet, the standalone installers for KB3020369 and KB3172605 for your architecture (32-bit or 64-bit).  You would also want to do the same for 3125574, because you are on a new Windows installation.
  2. Disconnect from the internet.
  3. Disable the Windows Update service in both the applet itself ("never check for updates") AND from services.msc (change it to "manual" and STOP the service, then click "OK").
  4. REBOOT
  5. Run 3020369 and reboot.
  6. Run 3172605 and reboot.
  7. Go into services.msc and change WU back to "Automatic-delayed start" and start the service.
  8. Reconnect to internet.
  9. Change WU to "notify me, but let me choose".
  10. Run a manual check for updates.

The concept is that you are going to install them from the standalone installers that you have downloaded locally to your computer, NOT via Windows Update.
So, if Windows Update is partially or fully enabled when you try this, you will probably get stuck "checking for updates".
WU must be disabled first.

If that process does not work and/or you get error messages with a specific error code, then you probably have a different problem.

Please post back and let us know how it goes, so that we can all learn.

#3 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:34 AM

Here is a link to the Amazon item:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M35DA4C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It came with a sheet of paper telling me where to find the product code. It was under the battery. What puzzled me was that it said that it may come back with an invalid code message but to proceed anyway, which I did. The only thing in Update History is a Microsoft Essentials update shortly after I got it running for the first time. How can I check for SP-1?

#4 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:51 AM

Hi:

Here is a link to the Amazon item:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M35DA4C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It came with a sheet of paper telling me where to find the product code. It was under the battery. What puzzled me was that it said that it may come back with an invalid code message but to proceed anyway, which I did. The only thing in Update History is a Microsoft Essentials update shortly after I got it running for the first time.

That sounds a bit ominous (or at least suspicious) (especially if the price was too good to be true), but I suppose it could be legit.
Is there a COA sticker in the battery compartment?

Before you get too far into the weeds, you might want to run this tool and post back with the resulting log:
https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

This tutorial explains how to run it and how to post results:
http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/234159-windows-genuine-activation-issue-posting-instructions.html

How can I check for SP-1?

Several ways:

• Type "winver" (no quote) in the Windows search box
  • RIGHT-click on the "computer" icon on the desktop > "properties"
  • From the Windows Control Panel: "System and Security" > "System"
  • Other ways, too

MM

Edited by MoxieMomma, 25 November 2016 - 10:52 AM.

#5 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:59 AM

Thanks a lot. I'll try that and get back to you but I probably won't be able to do it until Monday. I'm on my other laptop right now in a different location but I will certainly get back to you. It will be searching for updates the entire time until I return to it on Sunday night I bet.

#6 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 11:06 AM

Hi:

Did you leave a LAPTOP powered up and "checking for updates" on a "new" Windows install, UNATTENDED, for the weekend?

Even if it is connected to AC power (not running on battery), I'm not sure that was a great idea.

Some user interaction would have likely been needed along the way, even if things were moving along as expected (several reboots, at the very minimum).

If things were not moving along properly when you left it, then you may possibly return home to an unwelcome surprise... (I hope not.)

Oh, well.

Please update us when you have a chance, so that we can all learn.

MM

#7 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 12:10 PM

I was apprehensive also so I stopped in briefly to change the Windows Update setting to 'download but let me decide when to install' from 'automatically install' and then logged off. I want to see, if anything, is waiting for installation on Sunday night when I come home. Thanks for the tip.

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,179 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 02:06 PM

If it came without Service Pack 1, you should start by downloading and manually installed it: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff817622(v=ws.10).aspx, and then the three updates listed above. Trying to download and install the whole of SP1 is probably never going to work -- there are too many updates.

#9 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 02:11 PM

If I do already have it, will it attempt to download and install again, or will it tell me I have it?

#10 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 02:17 PM

I'm familiar with trying to install SP-1. I once had an Acer with Windows 7 and in order to use a private laptop at work, it required the installation of a security program which, in turn, required SP-1 to be installed already. I spent an hour downloading, an hour installing, and then another hour to reverse it all when it didn't work. I did that 3 times before I gave up.

#11 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,179 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 02:20 PM

Hold down the Windows key and the pause-break key on your keyboard at the same time. Or, click the Start menu, right-click on Computer, and select Properties. Under Windows Edition at the top of the Window, it will tell you what version you have installed -- if SP1 is installed, with will read Windows 7 Service Pack 1

#12 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 02:22 PM

Ok. I'll do that. Thanks.

#13 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 02:30 PM

Hi:

I'm no expert and will happily defer to others on the topic of getting SP1 and all those patches installed (and on everything else, for that matter).

However, since this is a refurbished system, my first inclination would be to verify that it's got a genuine, properly activated copy of Windows 7 first.

If it does not, then all the rest of the discussion is "moot", no?

That's why I suggested running the MGA Diagnostic tool first.

Once someone qualified to review the log can attest to whether you've got a legal copy of Windows, you can go from there.

And, yes, there are probably at least 6 or 8 ways to determine if you have SP1 already installed, as well as another critical tidbit you'll need before you proceed with manual updates and other maintenance -- whether you have 32-bit or 64-bit Windows.

Cheers,

MM

#14 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,179 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 02:36 PM

Moxie makes a good point. Best to check first that your Windows installation is genuine. Then proceed with the other suggested steps.

#15 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 02:44 PM

I will do that when I get home. I have a question though: If it weren't a legal installation, wouldn't Windows come back and tell me that? It has installed one update to Microsoft Essentials, whose updates usually come from Windows Update. Wouldn't it have said something when I was linking the two laptops up with Windows Easy Transfer also? Are you saying they would just leave me with the progress bar going left to right for 16 hours without notifying me in some way?

This is a quote from the order page on Amazon:

"This Certified Refurbished product is tested and certified by the manufacturer or by a third-party refurbisher to look and work like new, with limited to no signs of wear. The refurbishing process includes functionality testing, inspection, reconditioning and repackaging. The product ships with relevant accessories, a minimum 90-day warranty, and may arrive in a generic white or brown box. Accessories may be generic and not directly from the manufacturer. Only select sellers who maintain a high performance bar may offer Certified Refurbished products on Amazon. See all Certified Refurbished on Amazon

crlogo5._CB318686142_.png

Was I naive in assuming they would be on the up and up and install a legal copy?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users