Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good free email software

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sigord

Sigord

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 08:24 AM

Now that Windows live mail no longer works on Windows 7 & 8.1 thanks to MS obsession with Windows 10 can anyone suggest an alternative mailer.

My version of Outlook from MS Office 2007 freezes for awhile after starting and Thunderbird is unreliable such as sometimes allowing BCC bulk email and sometimes not!! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 granada12

granada12

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:30 AM

There's a mail software embedded in windows 10.  Just type mail in your search box on the bottom left of your screen.  You will see an envelope in a blue square.thumb_Mail-2.png

#3 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:39 AM

Hi:

Many/most free and even paid email clients & webmail services may run into issues with bulk recipient lists, because of spamming concerns.

I've used Thunderbird for many, many years (practically from its inception) under at least XP, Vista, 7 and 10, with no problems with BCC.

I've found it to be robust, stable, customizable and reliable.

Having said that, there are several other paid and free clients out there (not counting webmail, such as gmail, yahoo! mail, etc.)

None will be perfect on every system and to suit every user.

Each has its advantages and disadvantages.

And, for your bulk mailing needs, you may need a paid program.

Here are a few resources to get you started, offered "as is", since I have not personally used any of them except Thunderbird:

https://www.lifewire.com/top-free-windows-email-programs-1174215

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_client

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/outlook-alternative-email-clients/

HTH,

MM

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 11:02 AM

Is it possible the same thing that makes Outlook crash is making Outlook unreliable? If so, I don't think using another email client will help. Do you have a Antivirus or some kind of ad-on that is causing a problem? Also, is this related to your problem sending ZIP files with .exe in them?

FYI Gmail limits to Bulk mailing to 500 email a day today (5 emails to 100 people, 1 email to 500 people, etc) when sending through the website and 100 emails if using POP/IMAP/SMTP. If you want to send more, you will want to change your email provider (G Suite?) and not your client.

Edited by Trikein, 25 November 2016 - 11:10 AM.

#5 Sigord

Sigord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 26 November 2016 - 01:33 AM

Thanks all. Yes using the elaborate AVG now controlled by AVAST may have something to do with my email problems. But it is paid for another year so I am reluctant to replace it. I never had any problems with dear old Windows live mail until MS failed to update it for Windows 7 and 8.1 instead of pandering to Windows 10. 

So far I have managed to avoid using the complicated spying Windows 10. But now I am 83 unable to hump this big Desktop into a Taxi, if it conks out I will have to buy a faster laptop than my Toshiba no doubt with Windows 10.

Edited by Sigord, 26 November 2016 - 01:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users