Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer/menu/taskbar keeps freezing/crashing

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Eszy

Eszy

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 06:17 AM

Since last tuesday Windows Explorer, the menu and taskbar keep freezing/crashing. Sometimes it will fix itself when I wait for a while, most times I need to reset my laptop. I don't have the problem in safe mode. Last night my laptop failed to start in safe mode and did a disk check when starting up again. At the first three stages of the check it didn't say something was wrong, but at the end it did say something about moving disk space I believe. I wanted to take a pic of the screen but the screen was gone after a few seconds.

I did like ten different virus/malware/adware/whatever scans but nothing came up. So I don't think it's caused by an infection. 

I've never had issues with my laptop till a few months ago. I'm not sure if those issues have anything to do with this, so I'll list them below:

- Around july windows update stopped working. Tried to fix it with some fix software by Microsoft. Didn't do much.

- Every now and then I get the message ControlDeck.exe is not responding.

- My laptop once got a blue screen while shutting down. Checked the error code, said it was caused by my drawing tablet. Suggested to use a fix or delete the drivers. Fix had some risks, so I decided to remove the drivers since I don't use my tablet often. Didn't figure out how to remove the drivers, never had the issue again, so kinda forgot about it.

I've a seven or eight year old Asus laptop (K52F) with Windows 7 Home Premium service pack 1 64bit. My harddrive got replaced after 2 years, so it's 5 or 6 years old.

Edited by Eszy, 25 November 2016 - 06:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JinXiang91

JinXiang91

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 06:47 AM

Since last tuesday Windows Explorer, the menu and taskbar keep freezing/crashing. Sometimes it will fix itself when I wait for a while, most times I need to reset my laptop. I don't have the problem in safe mode. Last night my laptop failed to start in safe mode and did a disk check when starting up again. At the first three stages of the check it didn't say something was wrong, but at the end it did say something about moving disk space I believe. I wanted to take a pic of the screen but the screen was gone after a few seconds.

I did like ten different virus/malware/adware/whatever scans but nothing came up. So I don't think it's caused by an infection. 

I've never had issues with my laptop till a few months ago. I'm not sure if those issues have anything to do with this, so I'll list them below:
- Around july windows update stopped working. Tried to fix it with some fix software by Microsoft. Didn't do much.
- Every now and then I get the message ControlDeck.exe is not responding.
- My laptop once got a blue screen while shutting down. Checked the error code, said it was caused by my drawing tablet. Suggested to use a fix or delete the drivers. Fix had some risks, so I decided to remove the drivers since I don't use my tablet often. Didn't figure out how to remove the drivers, never had the issue again, so kinda forgot about it.

I've a seven or eight year old Asus laptop (K52F) with Windows 7 Home Premium service pack 1 64bit. My harddrive got replaced after 2 years, so it's 5 or 6 years old.

Hi,

Kindly upload the minidump here so that we can analyze the problem.

You may want to try using system file checker in cmd (elevate with administrator rights) using the sfc /scannow command and see whether it helps.

Thanks

#3 Eszy

Eszy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 08:48 AM

There are no files in the mini dump folder. I'll try the system file checker.

#4 Eszy

Eszy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 11:01 AM

I did the system check. It said it found some damaged files and couldn't fix everything. 

I put the log file in the attachment.

Attached Files

• Attached File  CBS.log   1.45MB   1 downloads

#5 Eszy

Eszy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 04:10 PM

The system file checker seemed to have solved the issue with Windows Explorer, the menu and taskbar crashing. Have been using my laptop normally for an hour now and it's still fine :)

#6 JinXiang91

JinXiang91

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 09:02 AM

The system file checker seemed to have solved the issue with Windows Explorer, the menu and taskbar crashing. Have been using my laptop normally for an hour now and it's still fine :)

No problem. Keep a close watch. If there's anything else, feel free to update here.

You may use this command to see if it's possible to fix it via cmd (with Administrator rights) : DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Cheers!

Edited by JinXiang91, 26 November 2016 - 09:04 AM.

#7 Eszy

Eszy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2016 - 05:32 PM

The issue came back this morning. Used the sfc command again, worked for a few hours but the issue is back again. Tried the Dism.exe command, but the command doesn't get recognized (error 87)

(Between the issue this morning and tonight I managed to fix the Windows Update problem by the way)

Edited by Eszy, 27 November 2016 - 05:34 PM.

#8 JinXiang91

JinXiang91

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2016 - 08:01 PM

The issue came back this morning. Used the sfc command again, worked for a few hours but the issue is back again. Tried the Dism.exe command, but the command doesn't get recognized (error 87)

(Between the issue this morning and tonight I managed to fix the Windows Update problem by the way)

Hi,

Please make sure you have spaces in between. 

See here for more details : http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/36366-error-87-online-cleanup-image-restorehealth-option.html

At the same time. Please download and run Minitoolbox. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitoolbox/

Please check for the following :
- List last 10 Event Viewer errors
- List Installed Programs
- List Devices (All)

Thanks.

#9 Eszy

Eszy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:53 AM

Hi!

I got the error while using spaces inbetween.

I put the MiniToolBox log in the attachment. I noticed it automatically did the log partially in Dutch. Hopefully that won't be a problem. If you want me to translate anything, let me know.

Attached Files

• Attached File  MTB.txt   58.73KB   1 downloads

#10 JinXiang91

JinXiang91

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:26 AM

Hi!

I got the error while using spaces inbetween.

I put the MiniToolBox log in the attachment. I noticed it automatically did the log partially in Dutch. Hopefully that won't be a problem. If you want me to translate anything, let me know.

Hi,

Please advise Is your ControlDeck running at the latest update?

Otherwise, I believe one of the program is causing your file explorer to be crashing. You may want to try to start of by testing on each of the services you begin upon starting up.

Thanks.

#11 Eszy

Eszy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 10:35 AM

Any idea how I can check if ControlDeck is running at the latest update?

#12 Eszy

Eszy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 11:01 AM

I saw there was a 'repair' option for ControlDeck in the list of software. After rebooting there's an icon for ControlDeck on my screen so it seems it did change something. So far Windows explorer etc. haven't frozen yet. Let's hope this has solved the problem.

#13 Eszy

Eszy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 02:02 PM

After two hours explorer etc. froze again. I did notice though when everything froze my cpu was 0% most of the time, while normally it would be at least 10% while 'doing nothing'. After rebooting I got the ControlDeck doesn't respond message again, so that issue still isn't solved as well.

You suggested testing services. How can I be sure I won't stop services that are necessary? 

A while ago I got help for a detection by MSE (false positive) and the person that helped me on this forum told me to stop some services. Could the issue be caused by stopping a service as well?

#14 JinXiang91

JinXiang91

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 03:14 PM

After two hours explorer etc. froze again. I did notice though when everything froze my cpu was 0% most of the time, while normally it would be at least 10% while 'doing nothing'. After rebooting I got the ControlDeck doesn't respond message again, so that issue still isn't solved as well.

You suggested testing services. How can I be sure I won't stop services that are necessary? 
A while ago I got help for a detection by MSE (false positive) and the person that helped me on this forum told me to stop some services. Could the issue be caused by stopping a service as well?

Hi,

You may check it here to see your bloatwares are updated : http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/K52F/HelpDesk_Download/

Also you may run ASUS system updater to see if there is any patch as well.

Regarding testing services you will need to open your start button and type msconfig.

Go to startup column and test it one by one to see which is the program that is wrecking the explorer.exe

See here for more details : https://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=1868

P.S. Im quite tempted to ask you to run combofix but I have not convince myself that this is a virus/trojan which change this.

Thanks.

Edited by JinXiang91, 28 November 2016 - 03:15 PM.

#15 Eszy

Eszy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 09:22 AM

I think I might have fixed the issue. Haven't had any problems last few days. Someone suggested to do a clean install of windows. I like that idea even though the issue seems fixed. After all those years of using Windows I'm sure some files might have been damaged or gone missing. 

Thanks for your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users